Verizon Gets a Big Lineup of New Phones Today: DroidX2, Xperia Play, Revolution

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Test drove the Revolution today, def better than the Charge, and more deserving of the DROID branding.

UI is clean, really only apparent as far as changes go are the homescreen and launcher. Contacts and Browser apps are like skinned versions of AOSP apps, and Bing can be gotten rid of easily with root, or just covered up with GApps.

Quadrant (1600-1900) is higher than the TBolt (1300-1500), and double that of the Charge (950-1100), all because of the lighter weight UI (guess). Oh, and the Revolution has a front Facing LED, Notification Pulldown Widgets, and is highly rumored to have an UNLOCKED bootloader.

justicw

Reaction score
Are they not both 1Ghz snapdragons?

Oh is that what specs means? Just the processor? I could've sworn that specifications refers to pretty much every attribute of the device, like RAM, camera, battery, screen size, pixel density, weight, size, etc.

Thanks for enlightening me! [/sarcasm]

Same exact screen
Same exact Camera
SMALER battery
Same CPU
Storage isn't realy specs because you can change that as you see fit
wow 256meg more ram

So your saying adding a little ram using a smaller battery and puting a new name on it is an "upgrade" lol and your welcome for "enlightening" you :)

HTC Thunderbolt vs. HTC EVO 4G | Wirefly Learn

armeddroid

Reaction score

Oh is that what specs means? Just the processor? I could've sworn that specifications refers to pretty much every attribute of the device, like RAM, camera, battery, screen size, pixel density, weight, size, etc.

Same exact screen
Same exact Camera
SMALER battery
Same CPU
wow 256meg more ram

So your saying adding a little ram using a smaller battery and puting a new name on it is an "upgrade" lol and your welcome for "enlightening" you :)

Evo = QSD8650 cpu
Thunderbolt = MSM8655 cpu
Not the same processor.
Evo = Adreno 200 gpu
Thunderbolt = Adreno 205 gpu
Not the same graphics processsor, either.
Evo = 512 MB RAM
Thunderbolt = 768 MB RAM

They may both have 1ghz processors, however the EVO has a 1st gen QSD8650 processor with the Adreno 200, the Tbolt has a 2nd gen MSM8655 with the adreno 205, the 2nd gen processor will perform alot quicker, and it has a slightly more powerful graphics processor, combined make the phone faster than the EVO on quadrant scores. However both phones are quick overall in terms of performance.

wingdo

Reaction score

Same exact screen
Same exact Camera
SMALER battery
Same CPU
wow 256meg more ram

It is most definitely NOT the same processor. The TBolt has the next generation snapdragon and a next gen GPU. In addition to 50% more RAM, the internal storage is vastly increased as well.

If you do not think the next gen snapdragon and GPU matter, check out wirefly's side by side comparison.
Now go take your "it's old before it's sold" attitude and leave the rest of us alone.

wingdo

Reaction score
God stupid inability to edit posts. Did you actually WATCH the 15 minute video or just look at the basic specs on that page? If you didn't watch the video you should. The TB runs on average at more than twice the speed of the EVO 4G.

You may not think twice as fast is better, but my co-worker who has an EVO wishes to god it was as fast as my TBolt.

champaned_out

Reaction score
wow its like going back 4 months when i read this thread
for you nubs posting without any knowledge... go search more before making stupid claims

Schoat333

Reaction score
I assume the Xperia is locked down, correct?

With Sony's track record for security, it may be hackable. ;)

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I thought Sony has some site where you could get the key to unlock it or whatever.

And is it hard Confirmed that the Revo is unlocked?

gsdreams

Reaction score
BIG LINEUP!!!! Give me a break Old tech Old reused rebranded phones come on $250 bucks!!! give me a break... No new news here just old rehashed crap. The only Tegra phone has NO front facing camra and NO 4G. the only 4G phone is the same old Tbolt specs that has been out FOREVER (Evo4g anyone). ::sigh:: I've been waiting for ever know for a GOOD phone with 4g, front facing camera, dual core, 8Mp plus main camera, HDMI Mirroring. Oh wait that was the Bionic.... I guess I should get the atrix... Wait I hate Tier plans... OOOPS Verizon is going to tier plans probably JUST as the release the GOOD phones lol WEEEE What a ride!!! :p :3

Unlike you there are many people still want a 3G Phone, especially if it is faster or offers features they want.

I talk to people needing tech support all day long. One of the questions I tend to ask, while waiting on things to go through, is "Why did you get a 3G phone" or "What do you think of the TB or the Charge, etc.."

Now, unlike those here who root, etc... I would say 95% of the people I speak with don't root there phones and just want a good solid working phone.

I would say rougly 50% of the people with the 4G phones tell me they somewhat wish they had gone with the X, Inc, or something that had been out longer and functioned better (perception because the perceive that things that have been out longer work better).

Out of the ones that have gone with 3G phones recenlty (since the release of the TB) the responses I get are "I have no need for 4G' or "There isn't any 4G coverage in my area so what is the point". When asked what the ones with 3G phones think of a front facing camera the general response I get is "I wouldn't use it".

So, in reality this is a major lineup for Verizon for a large portion of there customer base.

Those that want 4G and love LG products (which there are quite a few) will get the Revolution. And those considering a 4G phone will now have a new choice.

For those that want to play games on there phone, they can now get the Experia and it will sell.

Then you have the DX2, the update to the flagship phone that Verizon has pushed for a long time. It will definitely sell.

So, trying to claim it is "all older technology" and "not a big lineup" means you are looking at it solely from a personal selfish level, and not from a business perspective of "what sells" and what doesn't and how to sell it.

soulpatch

Reaction score
I get a new phone every year with my two lines staggered in terms of their upgrades. I will be getting the DX2 and allow my area to actually get 4G before I worry about that. Seeing as there is no dual core 4G phone on the horizon (since Bionic was nixed and we have no idea about Targa) then I will hold off till next Spring to get the latest and greatest 4G.

I agree with the pointless nature of the FFC. I can not see myself ever using it. I barely like to talk to people on the phone as is and then to have to look at them too. no thanks. Though it would be interesting to hear peoples reactions as they watch me riding my motorcycle and I am talking to them via my bluetooth...

stetsonaw

Beta Team/Marty McFly
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Bionic is not nixed... from @Motorola
Motorola Motorola Mobility
@kkc_kcr3w Hang tight. DROID Bionic is coming and slated for summer release. Our team is working on some new updatess.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Bionic is not nixed... from @Motorola
Motorola Motorola Mobility
@kkc_kcr3w Hang tight. DROID Bionic is coming and slated for summer release. Our team is working on some new updatess.

Well I am holding out till me NE2 on July 6. If I dont hear anythign more concrete by then I will move on. Again As of now I am more interested in the Dual Core. I dont have 4G in my neck of the woods and I dont expect to till next year.