Verizon Fios Adds Remote Control by Android Phones

markmicallef

Reaction score
:icon_ banana:This works great, just installed it:icon_ banana:
:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:​

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I can't get it to work for mine, I am sure it is something I doing wrong but I don't know what it would be. I keep getting "Unable to connect to the Set-Top Box. Please launch the Mobile Remote widget on the TV again and restart the Mobile Remote application on your device." I get it to the point where the widget tells me to sit on the search page, and do the stuff on my phone. That is where everything falls apart. The FiOS DVR app works for me though.

Gonna need a drink before I figure out why I can't get it to work.

markmicallef

Reaction score
I can't get it to work for mine, I am sure it is something I doing wrong but I don't know what it would be. I keep getting "Unable to connect to the Set-Top Box. Please launch the Mobile Remote widget on the TV again and restart the Mobile Remote application on your device." I get it to the point where the widget tells me to sit on the search page, and do the stuff on my phone. That is where everything falls apart. The FiOS DVR app works for me though.

Gonna need a drink before I figure out why I can't get it to work.

did you register your cell number on the fios box widget and get confirmation back on your phone?

papercutninja

Reaction score
I've got the same issue. I've restarted the widget a couple of times and even un-registered, uninstalled, rebooted my Droid and it hasn't worked.

papercutninja

Reaction score
Ok, if you're having trouble, reboot the STB. Just turn it on and off, no need for a hard reboot.

Hamsteak78

Reaction score
Man I wish I had FiOS now, but it's not available for me yet. I have AT&T Uverse (their version of FiOS).

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I figured out the problem. Before I had FiOS, I had a network set up with my previous ISP. With it, I had wireless routers, bridges, switches...etc to cover my house. So the router Verizon provided, I disabled wireless functions for as it wasn't necessary in my setup. So when I use wifi, I was connecting to a different router on my network. So I decided to try re-enabling the router, setting up a passcode for it, and connecting to it.

I am able to use it now, and actually kinda dig it. I wish I was able to use the on phone guide, like the DVR has as flicking through channels is much more intuitive that using the on screen commands like it is a remote. But it works and works pretty well actually, and is free so I can't complain too much hehe

tl;dr Apparently you need to connect directly to the MOCA router that Verizon provides you. This is at least what solved the problem for me.

joeymoose

Reaction score
Why does it say the HTC Imagio is an Android? It's a Windows mobile 6.5...

papercutninja

Reaction score
I love this app. Initially i was worried that there would be lag from the Droid to the router to the STB, but there is no noticeable lag. The photo screens take a LITTLE longer than i would like but i think that's just a data transmission issue. My ONLY criticism is that there is no number pad to go directly to a certain channel, unless i just haven't found it yet.

rayvincent

Reaction score
You must be connected to the FIOS WiFi in order for this to work, I've got two wireless networks in my home, the most used one is not FIOS and my phone wasn't using the FIOS wireless network, I connected to my FIOS Wireless router and yippie it works like a charm for both my phone and my wifes - using my phone will knock off my wife's remote and vice versa so you can only have one remote working at once if you have multiples set up for the same set top box.

GarnetHaze

Reaction score
I love this app. Initially i was worried that there would be lag from the Droid to the router to the STB, but there is no noticeable lag. The photo screens take a LITTLE longer than i would like but i think that's just a data transmission issue. My ONLY criticism is that there is no number pad to go directly to a certain channel, unless i just haven't found it yet.

I had the same issue. You have to click on "keyboard" in menu screen, then enter the number. Not as convenient as the regular remote, but still works.

I also noticed that if you don't fully close out of the app when exiting (clicking back and then exit from the main menu) it won't work the next time you go in to it. I kept exiting by clicking the home button on the bottom and the app wouldn't work the next time I tried it.

The feature to "flick" photos from the phone to the tv screen is really cool. I also like the idea of having the tv go to mute when a call comes in. Haven't tried it yet though.

nadecir

Reaction score
I am having the network error problem on my set top box that some other people having reported. I can't even get to configuring the widget on my television before it dies with a network error.

I have tried restarting my set top box several times, and it hasn't helped. My FIOS wireless router is the only router in my house. I have tried resetting my router, and that didn't help.

I don't have any other problems with widgets. Has anyone done anything other than resetting this set top box to get the widget to fix this network problem?

jbsangel

Reaction score
Got it up and running last night with no problems. At first I wondered why anyone would need such an app (but hey there's an app for that!) but after using it, aside from it being cool, i can actually think of ways I might use it (besides changing the channels on my husband from another room).

I've only used on the hd box, will try on our lone sd stb tonight if i remember.

OP
C

Chillson

Reaction score
I am having the network error problem on my set top box that some other people having reported. I can't even get to configuring the widget on my television before it dies with a network error.

I have tried restarting my set top box several times, and it hasn't helped. My FIOS wireless router is the only router in my house. I have tried resetting my router, and that didn't help.

I don't have any other problems with widgets. Has anyone done anything other than resetting this set top box to get the widget to fix this network problem?

I've actually had the same problem last night, I tried to get the widget on my box in one of the bedrooms (understanding it only works with HD boxes right?) and that didn't work. Figured maybe it needs to be set up with the main HD DVR in the living room, but that didn't work either and I reset both of them.