Verizon Finally Releases Android 4.0.4 Update for their Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Detonation

Reaction score
I hate to have to keep calling the news on this site out, but where does it say Verizon has signed off on this? The only story is that Google put the update (the exact same OTA that briefly went out last month) back on their servers.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I keep comimg too this site thinking Im gonna see a Thread-Ive got update,Getting update,something,but I always end up looking like :blink:

52brandon

Reaction score
I keep comimg too this site thinking Im gonna see a Thread-Ive got update,Getting update,something,but I always end up looking like :blink:
just root it and update yourself. The end. I've had the newest radio for over a month

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ill say this,Its not a crazy thought.Knowing them,they probly are thinking that.

Actually, knowing Verizon it probably annoys them that you CAN root and hack the Nexus so easily. IMHO, Verizon being the way they are, they should have never agreed to offer a nexus device.

ProbStat

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with VZW

I'm a little late to this issue -- I got my Galaxy Nexus in early March, and have been doing a lot of traveling since then, so it took me awhile to recognize that I have a very serious problem with dropped signal (... and then burned out battery from trying to find it again).

Anyway, I sent an email yesterday noting that I pay over $2,000 a year to VZW, but that that would likely end because they've given me a phone that doesn't work and have sat for two months on what by many accounts is a software update that would fix my problems -- I've learned that when dealing with a business, it often helps to tape a $100 bill to your forehead to keep their attention. Got an "I feel your pain" email response, directing me to call customer support.

Called customer support today. Quickly got through to level two (a bit like a video game, isn't it?). Laid out my issues to the representative, dismissed the "we'll send you a refurb" suggestion, and arrived at the fact that I have a VZW phone that doesn't work (I generally put it on airplane mode to keep the battery from dying on me when I'm out and about, but this keeps me from receiving phonecalls ... which sort of was the main original point of having a mobile phone), and that my position is that this should be resolved quickly or that I think I should be refunded my purchase price and let out of my contract with no penalty (VZW has failed to fulfill their end of the contract). I noted that what I really wanted to see was the long-delayed update, and if that didn't set things right, we could resume the conversation. I noted that my intent was to leave VZW for a carrier that was able to put out a Galaxy Nexus that works. The rep apparently tried to connect in a Samsung rep, with the suggestion that there might be a work-around, but didn't manage to get one. She came back having spoken with some VZW techs, who, she said, had told her that the update was "imminent," possibly to be out within the next 24 to 48 hours. I told her that was the best news possible from my perspective, but that she'd be hearing from me again in a week if that didn't happen. She told me she'd note in my account our conversation.

So anyway, that's apparently the latest line from VZW.

I agree with the sentiment of others here that VZW doesn't like the "openness" of the Nexus line; I think their most profitable business (from their standards ...) is all the junk they heap on us after we're on contract with them, and a minimally branded phone severely limits how they can do that. I would not be surprised if this is the last VZW Nexus phone.

I'm also a shareholder of VZ (VZW is actually a wholly owned joint venture between VZ and Europe's Vodaphone), and I think the VZW business model of "rape, pillage, and plunder while we can" is myopic, and that this attitude has already cemented VZW's reputation as the carrier most willing to exploit existing customers. I think I'll drop a line to the management of VZ conveying my opinion on this.

bigtex52

Reaction score
Call me cynical, but I don't think this update is going to get us where we need and want to be, if and when they release it. I've tried the leaked version of 4.0.4 that was captured off of Cheesecake and it didn't do much. My GNEX goes from 4 blue bars directly to 0 bars with an x and no data whatsoever and after maybe 2 to 3 minutes 1 gray 4x bar. 2 minutes later 1 blue bar. All while sitting still on my desk. VZ has sent me 2 different scratched up CLNR with their own set of problems. One wouldn't power on and the other had an inop headphone jack. I am not impressed.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call me cynical, but I don't think this update is going to get us where we need and want to be, if and when they release it. I've tried the leaked version of 4.0.4 that was captured off of Cheesecake and it didn't do much. My GNEX goes from 4 blue bars directly to 0 bars with an x and no data whatsoever and after maybe 2 to 3 minutes 1 gray 4x bar. 2 minutes later 1 blue bar. All while sitting still on my desk. VZ has sent me 2 different scratched up CLNR with their own set of problems. One wouldn't power on and the other had an inop headphone jack. I am not impressed.

First thing I'd do is get a new SIM. My phone was doing that data cycling and a new SIM fixed it. If that doesn't work, its a hardware malfunction. Only thing that will fix it is a replacement... I know you haven't had much luck but keep trying til you get a good one

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought Google had control over the update launches without the need for Verizon to do anything about it. Is that how it used to be and has since changed?

That's only the case for GSM phones. Google can't officially support CDMA because of patents. If Google were to push us an OTA, we would not have any data, make phone calls, or send/receive texts. Verizon must sign the binaries. Without signed binaries, our phones would be the Android equivalent of iPod touches.

cupid

Reaction score
why verizon delaying the update? I remember when I have the fascinate..it took a lot of bad publicity in twitter before they finally gave in and give us gingerbread..maybe its time to do the same..just asking