Verizon early upgrade promotion????

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
this could prove either verizon is not getting the iphone which could slag down their network because why have a big promotion close to the release of the rumored droid2/xtreme/shadow whateever phone they are going to throw out at us. Apple will be announcing the iphone 4th gen very soon and when that drops customers are either going to pass or go the android way. Or verizon may be doing this because they do not want everyone flocking to the iphone ( if they get it ) because it could possibly slow their network down. That is also why they want to lock you in to NOT upgrading for 12 months after you use this promotion. i know this may sound dumb but it actually would make the network slowly be able to handle the mass users that could come to verizon. Thats just my two cents i hope verizon gets the iphone cause i would buy it as a second line but i am android all the way and hopefully they dont get it because it could slag down our wonderful network so we can wait till lte is a major go just my thoughts i know alot of people are not ganna agree but

I personally think it is because they want to get people locked in for another two years that are nearing the end of their contract within the next 6-8 months. And also put a new gadget in their hands. That keeps them from possibly jumping ship to the iPhone 4g, Evo, or HD2.

I had an Incredible in hand today and was about ready to add a line and buy. The transaction before me was taking a really long time so I was browsing and came across this on Droid Life. Decided to wait the three days on the off chance that I may be eligible. Saves me from adding a line.

Last edited:

dilloff

Reaction score
Keep this thread alive should anyone upgrade who was not previously eligible for upgrade. I purchased the droid in November, but would use this promotion (if possible) to grab the incredible.

I'd say this is Verizon's way of prepping for iPhone battle, but I don't think the dates line up all the way. I thought the rumored iPhone 4g was to be announced at Apple's WWDC June 7th. Wouldn't the phone be available sometime, a few weeks or months, after the announcement? By that time, the promotion would have expired.

tameone

Reaction score
Only thing that I can imagine would lead VZW to try and lock people in with a promotion would be the new iPhone on AT&T.. whether the dates lineup correctly or not. Every potential smartphone buyer they lock in is one more customer that will not jump ship.

WhosToBlame

Reaction score
Only thing that I can imagine would lead VZW to try and lock people in with a promotion would be the new iPhone on AT&T.. whether the dates lineup correctly or not. Every potential smartphone buyer they lock in is one more customer that will not jump ship.

Very true and with the new advance phone cancellation fee, people will not be able to jump ship without paying a pretty penny.

My wife just informed that her coworkers boyfriend is a manager at a local Verizon store. She said he might be able to upgrade with this promotion and gives a bigger monthly discount on our phone bill.:icon_eek:

Will post update on Saturday.

bishyaler

Reaction score
We need a verizon rep to explain what this all means. Especially what makes a person eligible for that NBA (Next Best Activity) business.... seems to all hinge on that.

sroach23

Reaction score
We need a verizon rep to explain what this all means. Especially what makes a person eligible for that NBA (Next Best Activity) business.... seems to all hinge on that.

i bet if you call up to cancel your account because you want to go to sprint for the evo, they will give you the deal.

bishyaler

Reaction score

i bet if you call up to cancel your account because you want to go to sprint for the evo, they will give you the deal.

That would work great, except we dont have Sprint here. I live in North Dakota, only competition is Alltel who was left out of the merger to keep Verizon from having a monopoly on the market.
I doubt anyone at the verizon store would believe I was eating a $350 ETF to switch to Alltel. Their service is abysmal, texting barely even works, plus their best smartphone is a BB Curve last I checked.

The reps at the local verizon store don't know their own policy half the time and I have to remind them of yearly upgrades for primary, etc etc. Would like to know what I'm talking about before I go in.

sroach23

Reaction score

That would work great, except we dont have Sprint here. I live in North Dakota, only competition is Alltel who was left out of the merger to keep Verizon from having a monopoly on the market.
I doubt anyone at the verizon store would believe I was eating a $350 ETF to switch to Alltel. Their service is abysmal, texting barely even works, plus their best smartphone is a BB Curve last I checked.

The reps at the local verizon store don't know their own policy half the time and I have to remind them of yearly upgrades for primary, etc etc. Would like to know what I'm talking about before I go in.

if you call customer service and have them ship you one it may work. they would not know that there is no sprint in your area. they dont even know their own policies half the time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thats kinda how I got my Omnia 1...I was gonna cancel cuz I used up all my insurance on lost and stolen phones.

I might also help that I been with them for almost 10 years. Imma still try tho...the worst that could happen is they say no.

wil318466

Reaction score
Funny how the war between Verizon and AT&T is becoming epic. These two will do anything to keep customers from jumping back and forth.

pbdroid

Reaction score
Just finished asking VZW customer service about this promotion who directed me to call my local VZW store, which happened to be the kiosk at the area mall where I purchased my MotoDroid in February. I explained everything I could to them about the offer in the OP and neither rep would admit to knowing squat about the promotion which, according to the OP starts tomorrow.

VZW wouldn't tell me if I was a high risk/high value customer (I imagine I'd fall into the latter if either). I will say that the kiosk rep sounded as if he was unable to verify the promotion as opposed to being unaware of it (and he seemed intent on talking over me the whole time). He did suggest I come down and he can show me some neat phones.

I thanked him for his intentional lack of service and ended the call.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am tempted to take that offer, but at the rate smart phones are advancing, about time my current ne2 is up a better smart phone will be out. I figure that it would be wise for me to wait. the Droid does what I want and the Android market is picking up. though the snapdragon is faster, it only loads on the incredible about 2 seconds faster. Since I have a netbook, I do not see the need to pay another 200 bucks for a device that loads 2 secs faster. especially since when my ne2 is up they will advance the technology where it will have a processor faster then 1ghz and prob run cooler.

OP
Garemlin

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Anyone try this yet? Promotion starts today.

With the fact that it is a select group that is eligible I'm assuming you have to be notified by phone or e-mail.

tameone

Reaction score
I am tempted to take that offer, but at the rate smart phones are advancing, about time my current ne2 is up a better smart phone will be out. I figure that it would be wise for me to wait. the Droid does what I want and the Android market is picking up. though the snapdragon is faster, it only loads on the incredible about 2 seconds faster. Since I have a netbook, I do not see the need to pay another 200 bucks for a device that loads 2 secs faster. especially since when my ne2 is up they will advance the technology where it will have a processor faster then 1ghz and prob run cooler.

Just root your droid, OC, and have a device faster than the Incredible :D

1GHZ won't last long..Rumored HTC Mondrian Win7 phone supposedly packs the 1.3GHz snapdragon.. but untill then, OC'd Droids still rule the world!!