Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
My apology. It sounds like I was misled. If you are indeed under contract for unlimited data until Nov. 2017 and VZW tries to change that, then I would seek the advice of an attorney and make sure they honor their contract with you. After that contract ends, they have the right to change it, but not before. That also assumes that you are abiding by all of the details in the contract that limit the way you can use data. I have been told by VZW reps that the only way to keep UDP was to go month to month. I guess I should consider the source.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
My apology. It sounds like I was misled. If you are indeed under contract for unlimited data until Nov. 2017 and VZW tries to change that, then I would seek the advice of an attorney and make sure they honor their contract with you. After that contract ends, they have the right to change it, but not before. That also assumes that you are abiding by all of the details in the contract that limit the way you can use data. I have been told by VZW reps that the only way to keep UDP was to go month to month. I guess I should consider the source.
There is a best buy loophole. So there isn't much of a lawsuit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score

The reps know what they know and that's not everything.
I was able to get back under contract when they were getting ready to raise prices by $20 a line.
I will agree you have to try real hard to reach 100GB. You do not need to try hard to read 20GB. So dropping an UDP user with 20GB of use seems to be way to restrictive. I will argue though that if the individual is consuming more then 100GB on their phone and not violating the TOS then Verizon is being petty.

It is all about the Benjamins though.
When/if they come after me I'll switch to T-Mobile.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
WOW FoxKat, your house burned down?!! I certainly hope this whole unlimited data thing works out for you, but most importantly I hope everyone made it safely out of your house with no injuries or fatalities!!!
Yeah, it was and is a great burden on my family and I. Thank you for the well wishes. I do want to say that I didn't mention that for the purpose of gaining sympathy. My only reason for starting that was to explain the huge spike in data use during January and February. I also wanted people to know that I wasn't just inadvertently abusing the UDP plan but that there was a legitimate reason.

Our billing cycle is through the 21st of the month, and the fire happened on the 12th. So the data surge started in December for the last two weeks and through January into the early part of February since we used or phones as our only access to everything.

We finally got settled into a place in February that provided the ability to connect with a wired router and wireless access point that had a high speed connection. We also had by then replaced lost laptops so our focus on the internet transitioned to traditional computers versus the phones and we also then had WiFi for the phones, hence the data use re-stabilized. Fortunately for us it was also in time to avoid being negatively impacted in this newest crackdown by Verizon.

As I mentioned Verizon is apparently using the three most recent bulking cycles of members who's cycles start after April 1, and end before August 30 to decide if they will be sent the pink slips. At least for us fortunately it seems we will escape this.

Thanks again for your kind words and will wishes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What people don't understand or want to accept is that their UDP contract ENDED years ago. They are no longer under contract. Verizon offered them a two year contract for unlimited data. Verizon fulfilled that contract. Verizon offered them the option of entering a new contract at the end of the two years. This time the contract did not include unlimited data, but a tiered plan. Many took that offer, but some refused and continued MONTH TO MONTH service. Verizon was under no obligation after the contract was fulfilled and they are under no obligation to provide anything except the month that you pay for. If you want to enter a new contract, you have to abide by the new contract rules as does Verizon. There is no false advertising as VZW does NOT advertise unlimited data at this time. They provided what they promised and fulfilled their part of the contract. This is absolutely NOT an FTC violation. I wish VZW did provide unlimited data now, but they don't. We are all free to take our business elsewhere if we don't like the service provided. VZW is not a monopoly, there are plenty of other options.
Well said and very accurate. Verizon isn't calling your usage over (edit; 100GB) as a violation of the TOS OR the original UDP, in fact neither matters in this situation. They are saying it's more data in one billing period than they want to have being used at the pricing they are beholden to in your month to month continuation of the expired UDP. Since they are not obligated to continue the expired plan they have every right to terminate it for any or all and so they are exercising that right.

Last edited:

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I'm just sick of their shared data bs.

We have 6gb over 5 lines and a tablet. I've used 4gb a month at times, and WANT to buy more data, but I don't want it to raise my entire family's bill, and I DON'T want them being able to use it on my dime.

Last edited by a moderator:

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
What people don't understand or want to accept is that their UDP contract ENDED years ago. They are no longer under contract. Verizon offered them a two year contract for unlimited data. Verizon fulfilled that contract. Verizon offered them the option of entering a new contract at the end of the two years. This time the contract did not include unlimited data, but a tiered plan. Many took that offer, but some refused and continued MONTH TO MONTH service. Verizon was under no obligation after the contract was fulfilled and they are under no obligation to provide anything except the month that you pay for. If you want to enter a new contract, you have to abide by the new contract rules as does Verizon. There is no false advertising as VZW does NOT advertise unlimited data at this time. They provided what they promised and fulfilled their part of the contract. This is absolutely NOT an FTC violation. I wish VZW did provide unlimited data now, but they don't. We are all free to take our business elsewhere if we don't like the service provided. VZW is not a monopoly, there are plenty of other options.
*standing*
Thank you!!! Someone who gets it!!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Bunch of BS.
Unlimited means Unlimited.
If I stream Dish and other services and watch on my phone and hit 20GB, what am I doing that violates my TOS? Not a dang thing.
This comes with no warning, and is retroactively punitive.
Verizon is going to see itself on the BAD side of the FCC and FTC once again.
Remember when they tried throttling of UDP only?
This runs afoul of what they agreed to when they got Block C.

They sold, no forced, people to take unlimited data at a time when it was good for them.
I've played by their rules. I've bought phones outright, I haven't changed my plan and I pay my bill on time.
So what they are saying is that unlimited is not or should not be used as such.
If this isn't false advertising and an FTC violation what is.

T-Mobile is looking good if I need to leave. I know how to port out..... I've been with Verizon since it was GTE MobileNet here in Ca. (22+ years)
I feel your pain and I've been a Verizon customer for 23+ years myself so from a loyalty standpoint we both are in a unique class. That said, it's an expired plan, expired contract, and is now on a month to month continuation with no obligation to continue by either party to the original agreement, you or Verizon. If T-Mobile works for you then make the move.

I suspect that this is also because Verizon is finally seeing the future more accurately in that data use is going nowhere but up, and that it's about to explode. If they continued these UDP plans it could eventually be a severely discounted plan versus what may eventually become a considerably higher average cost per GB in other competitive plans and would then be both less profitable (possibly negative profit in the case of the greatest [ab]users), and even considered unfair. This could even eventually become a problem for them in the reverse to what you are saying, with both the FCC and the FTC.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It's 100gb a month.

Verizon to disconnect unlimited data customers who use over 100GB/month

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well it appears the tech support rep I was speaking to yesterday was being conservative in her estimates initially.

I am glad to see it's 100 GB initially but don't get too comfortable using data at those rates. It could eventually come back to haunt you. There is still the possibility that they could clamp down harder as time goes on and lower that threshold as they see fit.

Last edited:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Foxkat, I don't want to make you feel like a pity case, but I'm very sorry to hear about your house. We have some very good friends who lost their house to a fire 6 months ago. No injuries, but complete loss of personal items that can't be replaced. They are still in the process of rebuilding. I'm certainly glad you're all OK.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This says it all. From Verizon;

"These users are using data amounts well in excess of our largest plan size (100GB). While the Verizon Plan at 100GB is designed to be shared across multiple users, each line receiving notification to move to the new Verizon Plan is using well in excess of that on a single device."

The 100GB plan costs $450 a month.

So what they are saying is that using in excess of 100GB per month (in one line), under a UDP is actually at close to half what it costs for new plans and that is something that is both unfair and potentially dangerous for them to allow to continue from a possible litigation perspective. The FTC looks for imbalances just like this and will come down hard on a multi billion dollar company that allows such unfair treatment of its subscribers.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Foxkat, I don't want to make you feel like a pity case, but I'm very sorry to hear about your house. We have some very good friends who lost their house to a fire 6 months ago. No injuries, but complete loss of personal items that can't be replaced. They are still in the process of rebuilding. I'm certainly glad you're all OK.
Thanks and yes, we lost absolutely everything except my wife's jewelry which the firemen saved. I don't feel like a pity case but thanks just the same. We escaped without injury and other than my close pet, a 9 year old female cat named Bridget who I was unable to save we are physically unharmed.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I would have to do some serious downloading to get 100GB. I barely use 300GB on my cable line and that's with work.