Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, that's not how it works MBM. (At least in regards to throttled data) A YT video will start playing and then start buffering and then start playing and then start buffering and so on. It doesn't buffer until the video is completely loaded into your cache and then start playing, unless you press pause. So a 5 minute video can actually take you 10+ minutes to watch on a throttled 2G connection.

S5 tap'n
He asked about 5G not 2G

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Both @mountainbikermark and @cr6 are right. Depending on how fast a connection you have now, watching a YT video should be free from stalling and so a 5 minute video should be 5 minutes, as MBM mentioned. At the same time, in a throttled data connection there could be playing that exceeds the rate of buffering, causing stalls in the play while the buffer has to refill and catch up. It all comes down to data rate versus frame rate. Each frame in a 30 FPS video uses a set amount of data and so in one second of video the stream will use 30X that frame data amount. Unless the data rate can keep up the buffering will occur. You can be sure it will occur for some while being throttled. The depth at which they throttle may be minimal initially or for most, but they reserve the right to throttle to an equivalent rate of 2G. That would certainly result in buffering of a YT video.

As for the costs for new 5G network, and the OP's initial question below;

"...What happens when XLTE or 5G which is really 100x faster than current LTE speeds (can be upwards of 60mbps in my area in Central NJ) is deployed in it's entirety? The cost of overages will be shifted to current and new customers, as most users will eat into the data cap so much faster at a higher bandwidth speed."

Truth is 5G can be as much as 100X faster, but will roll out at no where near that level of increase. It's more likely to be rolled out at maybe 10X to 30X faster initially, but can certainly be ramped up as the network sees fit. It's not really accurate though, to say users will eat into the data cap faster, unless they are doing things like downloading video or audio to hoard it, or who choose to use their cellular data service as the source for their laptops and desktops.

"I know I'd be doing a lot more YouTube and Pandora, besides gaming. It kind of worries me that the cost of these plans once you go past the XXL plan prices rise extraordinary. Even with the carryover and safety mode option, how good of a product can you get on throttled speed?"

Yes, costs above XXL rise quite significantly but there are very few people who will need such high data packages. Also, if you are smart about your data use and WIFI when and wherever possible you will keep your paid data to a minimum. Still, throttled will be for many a very slow and painfully uncomfortable rate of data. It's not meant to provide a continued user experience comparable to 5G or 4G, and even may not provide a 3G experience, if Verizon chooses to go to the lower limit they've set for themselves.

For the costs of overages to be put onto the shoulders of those who use the data in such a way as to exceed their pricing plans, that is just how it should be. I don't want to subsidize your data, and I'm sure you don't want to subsidize mine. If I use 10GB or 100GB, I will pay the same, however I risk (now), losing my UDP altogether if I use the latter. If I either choose to, or am forced onto a tiered plan you can bet I will do two things... First, I will buy the plan that provides me sufficient buffer above my average data usage so that I don't fear going over, but second I will add the Safety Mode and if I hit it I may at that time increase to the next level up in the plan offerings.

Today I checked and I could get 40GB for less than I am paying now for UDP. I use an average of 24GB, even taking into consideration two months of extremely exceptional circumstances, where I used over 30GB followed by close to 80GB the next month. If I take those two months out of the average then I'm running at about 9GB so 40GB would be quite a huge margin to protect me from overages and from throttling.
He asked about 5G not 2G

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The OP has been updated. Verizon has confirmed this to be true. Expect to receive a message from them if you use an "extraordinary" amount of data. Please post here if you do get a message. and let us know what it says.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've tested FI where I frequent. It works great. It will work great for when this ball drops. It's not a matter of if, it's when. I will leave vzw. If I don't have service somewhere, so be it. I grew up without the internet, cell phones, etc. I've been with them since 1998. Do they care, nope.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I've been with them since 1993, starting with 4 lines (still have three of the 4 phone numbers I issued myself, ending in 000, 100, and 200), and as a Bell Atlantic Mobile agent at the time, but just like you and everyone else, a customer is a customer and loyalty isn't all that important in the big game. For every UDP plan holder they lose, they can get dozens of new users to replace us and the net profit will increase likewise.

Perhaps the reason the $20 increase is followed so soon by this new development is that SOME of the UPD users are not only still abusing the data but due to the increase have taken the position that they should now use MORE. This would have resulted in a net loss for Verizon and so they had to do something different. We all know that there are LOTS of phones out there which are rooted and Entitlement Check hacked, not to mention those which are skipping the Entitlement Check by interrupting Mobile Data while turning Mobile Hotspot on. Then there's those who are still able to use legitimate apps off the Play Store to do wireless tether on phones they haven't yet been able to lock down completely. It's many of these who are essentially pushing this.

I do at times tether, but not in order to stream videos all day to my TV, or to download movie after movie illegally with either "downloader" apps or by using a Torrent client. I have tethered my laptop for little more data than I am using right now, to type on the forum, and then only when I had no other choice as my house went up in flames. This is why my January and February data rates went so high. Otherwise, I don't consider myself an abuser of the UDP, with a net average of 24GB/Mo. I pay more for that average than I would for 40GB with the new plan, so I am not at all fearful that I'll be kicked off, however if I am, I'll revel in the ability to cut my monthly costs AND use more data.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hehe... all this bickering and whining is amusing. Let's all hug it out.... we knew this was coming...Verizon is mean... blah!
Oh and @jstafford1 is the prettiest

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
I find the idle threats even funnier. "I'm switching away from those evil bastiges. No wait. They've got a shiny new phone with more RAM and it's only $28 a month" is what'll really happen.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
He asked about 5G not 2G

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
I know he did, didn't I address that? o_O

"As for the costs for new 5G network, and the OP's initial question below;

"...What happens when XLTE or 5G which is really 100x faster than current LTE speeds (can be upwards of 60mbps in my area in Central NJ) is deployed in it's entirety? The cost of overages will be shifted to current and new customers, as most users will eat into the data cap so much faster at a higher bandwidth speed."

Truth is 5G can be as much as 100X faster, but will roll out at no where near that level of increase. It's more likely to be rolled out at maybe 10X to 30X faster initially, but can certainly be ramped up as the network sees fit. It's not really accurate though, to say users will eat into the data cap faster, unless they are doing things like downloading video or audio to hoard it, or who choose to use their cellular data service as the source for their laptops and desktops.

"I know I'd be doing a lot more YouTube and Pandora, besides gaming. It kind of worries me that the cost of these plans once you go past the XXL plan prices rise extraordinary. Even with the carryover and safety mode option, how good of a product can you get on throttled speed?"

Yes, costs above XXL rise quite significantly but there are very few people who will need such high data packages. Also, if you are smart about your data use and WIFI when and wherever possible you will keep your paid data to a minimum. Still, throttled will be for many a very slow and painfully uncomfortable rate of data. It's not meant to provide a continued user experience comparable to 5G or 4G, and even may not provide a 3G experience, if Verizon chooses to go to the lower limit they've set for themselves.

For the costs of overages to be put onto the shoulders of those who use the data in such a way as to exceed their pricing plans, that is just how it should be. I don't want to subsidize your data, and I'm sure you don't want to subsidize mine. If I use 10GB or 100GB, I will pay the same, however I risk (now), losing my UDP altogether if I use the latter. If I either choose to, or am forced onto a tiered plan you can bet I will do two things... First, I will buy the plan that provides me sufficient buffer above my average data usage so that I don't fear going over, but second I will add the Safety Mode and if I hit it I may at that time increase to the next level up in the plan offerings."

Perhaps I missed something????

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Dad burn if I know. I have no idea what your novel had to do with a 5 minute video on YouTube using more or less data whether it's 4G or 5G

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Well I did give you credit for your post, stating that it's the same amount of data at 4G or 5G. What I didn't see answered was regarding the throttling experience was going to be good as good as he had hoped, and it won't. From Verizon's own FAQ;

"
blueminus.png
What data speeds can I expect while in Safety Mode?

While in Safety Mode, you'll have reduced speeds of 128 Kbps. Video and audio streaming may be impacted while in Safety Mode."

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
FoxKat I have updated the update! Thanks for the intel!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be getting a notice - will keep you posted. Sad part is, half my data usage is cloud data backup and downloading tons of rss feeds for offline reading at my leisure - had I known, I could have easily managed it to be well under 20GB a month. And for years I averaged like 1GB a month until I started traveling a lot more.

The other sad part is, if I knew I was going to be forced onto a limited plan then I might have gotten a tablet and smartwatch with 4G capabilitiies.

Yep, I'll probably give TMo or Sprint a shot if this happens. I don't think either throttles until like 23GB, which would work well for me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The other BS thing here....they are cutting us out cold-turkey with no warning. If 20GB is your new threshold, then say it and give people a chance to comply. Or offer people 20GB plans for the same price we pay currently.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Looks like I'll be getting a notice - will keep you posted. Sad part is, half my data usage is cloud data backup and downloading tons of rss feeds for offline reading at my leisure - had I known, I could have easily managed it to be well under 20GB a month. And for years I averaged like 1GB a month until I started traveling a lot more.

The other sad part is, if I knew I was going to be forced onto a limited plan then I might have gotten a tablet and smartwatch with 4G capabilitiies.

Yep, I'll probably give TMo or Sprint a shot if this happens. I don't think either throttles until like 23GB, which would work well for me.
Did you check your last 3 mos data amounts and if so, what have you averaged? Don't forget, the 3 month period of testing is still current, meaning if you curtail your data usage now, you'll bring your average down before the end of the third billing period.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The other BS thing here....they are cutting us out cold-turkey with no warning. If 20GB is your new threshold, then say it and give people a chance to comply. Or offer people 20GB plans for the same price we pay currently.

Again, this is for billing periods from April 1 through August 30. It's only July 21, so there is at least a month to correct the average.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Again, this is for billing periods from April 1 through August 30. It's only July 21, so there is at least a month to correct the average.

just realized I'm on contract until the end of the year.....who knew saving $20 a month could be so fortuitous!

But that's good news. I'll bring my average easily under 15GB, and keep it there with the other changes I mentioned.