Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
One note ->
Network Access Requirements for Block C
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.

The specific points here:
(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network, except:
-> This is what the FCC used to deny throttling and it applies to limiting data. They are restricting the use of devices and applications that consume data. This is also why Verizon can't limit using MiFi devices and tethering applications.

(f) Burden of proof. Once a complainant sets forth a prima facie case that the C Block licensee has refused to attach a device or application in violation of the requirements adopted in this section, the licensee shall have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it has adopted reasonable network standards and reasonably applied those standards in the complainant's case. Where the licensee bases its network restrictions on industry-wide consensus standards, such restrictions would be presumed reasonable.

The important point here is that once a complaint is filed, it is Verizon that must prove it has done nothing wrong.

File your complaints!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
One note ->
Network Access Requirements for Block C
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands.

The specific points here:
(b) Use of devices and applications. Licensees offering service on spectrum subject to this section shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network, except:
-> This is what the FCC used to deny throttling and it applies to limiting data. They are restricting the use of devices and applications that consume data. This is also why Verizon can't limit using MiFi devices and tethering applications.

(f) Burden of proof. Once a complainant sets forth a prima facie case that the C Block licensee has refused to attach a device or application in violation of the requirements adopted in this section, the licensee shall have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it has adopted reasonable network standards and reasonably applied those standards in the complainant's case. Where the licensee bases its network restrictions on industry-wide consensus standards, such restrictions would be presumed reasonable.

The important point here is that once a complaint is filed, it is Verizon that must prove it has done nothing wrong.

File your complaints!
For the 10 people this affects? I doubt anything will even come across anyone's desk.

BionicS7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7
OK, a Verizon rep told me that the rumor about disconnecting users with grandfathered UDP isnt true, however he sad that by the end of August there will be another price hike of $20. He said that it was the next "phase" of assessing the data usage of people with grandfathered plans. I asked him if he was sure and he told me that yes there is no way Verizon would disconnect people or give them an ultimatum to get on another plan.

Whether the rep was telling the truth or had reliable information, I don't know, so take it with a grain of salt. But I do know that even with the best scenario of another $20 price hike it is still gonna suck! Especially after we just went through that a few months ago. Its seriously getting ridiculous.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK, a Verizon rep told me that the rumor about disconnecting users with grandfathered UDP isnt true, however he sad that by the end of August there will be another price hike of $20. He said that it was the next "phase" of assessing the data usage of people with grandfathered plans. I asked him if he was sure and he told me that yes there is no way Verizon would disconnect people or give them an ultimatum to get on another plan.

Whether the rep was telling the truth or had reliable information, I don't know, so take it with a grain of salt. But I do know that even with the best scenario of another $20 price hike it is still gonna suck! Especially after we just went through that a few months ago. Its seriously getting ridiculous.
Well this at least provides corroborating evidence to what I was told by the manager of the other Verizon store and detailed in a post a week ago, but he was sure this was only phase 4 of 5 with 5 being termination of all remaining UDP plans.

It remains to be seen but this is two independent sources with the same price hike in the fall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Your Verizon rep is wrong. The disconnects are true. And there is a wave 4 of the $20 rate hike. Wave one was last October. You won't get another $20 hike. This is to catch all the old altel plans and others missed in the first 3 waves.

BionicS7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7
Well this at least provides corroborating evidence to what I was told by the manager of the other Verizon store and detailed in a post a week ago, but he was sure this was only phase 4 of 5 with 5 being termination of all remaining UDP plans.

It remains to be seen but this is two independent sources with the same price hike in the fall.

Yeah im gonna try calling Verizon back again and talk to a different service rep and see if they'll admit to the rumored disconnecting/terminating of grandfathered users is true or not.

BionicS7

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S7
And this is why I take these " doing away with UDP " rumors with a grain of salt. People get all worked up over them for nothing.

S5 tap'n

True, I just called them this morning and the guy said he hasn't heard of this happening and nothing had officially been said to him about it. He sounded sincere. But it could be his supervisors just haven't told him yet? Although, that would be weird because its now less than a month away from when the supposed disconnects are rumored to happen.

But then right after is when he told me about this next "phase" of the $20 increase, I let him know that their prices are getting ridiculous. He went into a long explanation of how it was necessary in order to assure that we grandfathered users are still able to keep our UDP. And how it was still the best option as the other carriers throttle their unlimited data users and they don't. He said that within the next month grandfathered UDP users will be getting notified of the increase.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Whatever the increase. I'm not affected by it.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, here it is in a nutshell. It's all my fault, blame me. Everytime I get one of their emails tauting their latest greatest plan I fire off a salvo of emails back asking for "some moron" to explain the cost savings factor to me. No one ever replies.

So if the latest churned up rumor of a $20 increase has any merit it was I. Then I might get a better "price" on tiered but not necessarily a better "deal". And they can explain it to me.

Flog me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And this is why I take these " doing away with UDP " rumors with a grain of salt. People get all worked up over them for nothing.

S5 tap'n
And I made it very clear that it was a rumor and should be treated as such. The fact that the $20 increase i was told is in alignment with this newest information does however lend some credibility. Why else would it be exactly $20 and why would it align with the same timeframe I was told?

Just saying.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
All these $20 increases do not effect people on contract. So just keep renewing your contracts and you will still pay your original $30 or $10 a month for unlimited data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
All these $20 increases do not effect people on contract. So just keep renewing your contracts and you will still pay your original $30 or $10 a month for unlimited data.

Yep, that's what I did last time. Wonder if there will be another "freebie" loyalty contract offered - I think they probably always have those subtle options (probably, I assume, designed to hit you with fees if you don't cancel the option after the loyalty promotion expires)...although I think I still get hit with the increase regardless.