Verizon Drops The Axe! Will Disconnect Unlimited Data Users Using Extraordinary Amounts Of Data!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
This is why I don't get worked up over these stories about Verizon's UDP "changes". This happens every 6-12 months and by the time the original story comes out, to when it is actually implemented, is completely different. Even FoxKat who has spoken to what 3 different reps since this latest story broke, has received 3 different stories.
It ain't over till the fa....errr, heavy set person sings!
I have yet to receive a "letter", or hear of anyone else receive one, and until that happens....viva unlimited!
If/when I do....c'est la vie! It was fun while it lasted.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I find this very very annoying. If they feel the value of what we pay for 25GB is what we should be paying and getting 40 I say it's time to go.

If I interviewed for a job and they said that they were going to pay me $20 an hour but in the next 6 months they will start paying me 50 I'd want to know why I'm not worth 50 right now. I am so very tempted to buy a Note 7 with TMO when they come out and give their service a shot.

By all means I pay for 26 GB a month and the most I have used in over a year is around 12 so I don't need more data but in the same sense I feel as though if they can give us almost double this time next year for the same price why not just do it now?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Just remember, this was a rumor, nothing confirmed...his word, not mine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Even FoxKat who has spoken to what 3 different reps since this latest story broke, has received 3 different stories.
It ain't over till...

I agree, some of it is largely speculation. I'm very hesitant to say what is real and what isn't at this point. One thing I do believe though, UDP is going away at some point.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Agreed. While it's ashame VZW can't let those few still grandfathered on their unlimited plans stay there, it was bound to happen eventually. As the latest VZW rep stated, this is simply the next step in that process. Who knows, it could still be another couple years until it's gone completely.

S5 tap'n

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've spoken today face to face with an Verizon Authorized Retail Store owner/manager for a half hour. He indicated the following.

According to him this push is phase 3 of some yet unconfirmed 5 phase process to eliminate UDP altogether. Phase two was the most recent $20 price increase and phase 1 was the change in plans that was forced when you used Verizon's subsidized upgrade programs which started I believe it was a year ago or more.

Actually Phase 1 was when they discontinued unlimited. Unless you used the BB method you could not get a subsidized upgrade. You had to switch that phone to a tiered plan. Last year they started forcing the all phone off unlimited data if you wanted any changes.

According to him, phase 4 will be another $25 per line increase to be expected sometime between December and April, and then the final move, phase 5 will be the complete elimination of all UDP plans, even his employee plan which has UDP. He said that should come about this time next year and every remaining UDP subscriber would be told they have 30 days to convert to a then current tiered pricing plan. These plans will carry higher data limits, comparing today's 25GB with what he's being told will be 40GB for the same cost 25GB is now.

And at that point they can take a hike. Losing a large number of subscribers won't do well for stock price. If/When they do this, short the stock.

If those UDP subscribers don't transition at the end of 30 days they will be terminated. If they decide they want to buy back in they can recover their phone numbers if requested within 60 days of termination as long as they take one of the tiered pricing plans at that time.

No problem. Port out to google. Short the stock.

He also said that the additional $5 for Safety Mode in all but the Large, XL and XXL plans will go away and instead all plans will come with Safety Mode automatically and free. They will also have the "Carryover Data" feature as well, to then be more closely aligned with AT&T and other providers' plan offerings.

Yawn.

Now I can NOT attest to the validity of this information but I will say this gentleman was adamant that it's true. He was also very knowledgeable and his answers to other probing questions I asked about plans and various phones including the Moto Z, to "test" him were spot on.

I have no proof that what he's said is either true or fabrication so I'm going to call this a rumor.

It may or may not be true.
One thing is true. They won't keep the people that have UDP.
A loss of 1% of the 100 Million + subscribers won't be good.
If they do this, I'll be shorting the stock right before earnings when they announce they lost between 300-900 thousand subscribers.

And it is a big deal, look at the last earnings report where they are hyping the fact that they gained about 800K subscribers.

I'm good until Nov of 2017. My contract runs out on all lines.
We'll see what the FCC/FTC says about eliminating users of a single particular class.
I have no problem with kicking everybody off UDP. But while you are at it make *EVERYBODY* sign up for new plans.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
On a side note. My feature list says "UNLIMITED".
If they are in fact sending the letters to people with "UNLIMITED" on the account and bill, Verizon is in violation of laws related to fraud and false advertising.

Let's see if the AG of California and other states like the "limited" unlimited.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
On a side note. My feature list says "UNLIMITED".
If they are in fact sending the letters to people with "UNLIMITED" on the account and bill, Verizon is in violation of laws related to fraud and false advertising.

Let's see if the AG of California and other states like the "limited" unlimited.
I'm not siding with Verizon, instead I'm simply trying to putting forth (hopefully), a better understanding of what is fact, what the rumors are and what is fiction. I don't want people to make decisions about their grandfathered UDP plans that may jeopardize them unless they know the risks and are willing to take the chance. It's been shown in the past that what was believed to be common knowledge about these plans and what can or can't happen turned out in many cases to be 180 degrees the opposite and some unfortunately lost their UDP plans prematurely.

Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not siding with Verizon, instead I'm simply trying to putting forth (hopefully), a better understanding of what is fact, what the rumors are and what is fiction. I don't want people to make decisions about their grandfathered UDP plans that may jeopardize them unless they know the risks and are willing to take the chance. It's been shown in the past that what was believed to be common knowledge about these plans and what can or can't happen turned out in many cases to be 180 degrees the opposite and some unfortunately lost their UDP plans prematurely.

Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).

That is exactly why I said, "if you get the letter."
I wouldn't do anything until I see a letter.
There is plenty of speculation to go around.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Here's the letter.

579f513e6eeae95469f33a948b8b42b6.jpg

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
And you or whomever got that letter is filing a complaint with the FCC?
The same person will be filing a fraud complaint with the FTC and contacting the attorney general for the state they live in?

Also the letter should also CC the Verizon legal department.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
And you or whomever got that letter is filing a complaint with the FCC?
The same person will be filing a fraud complaint with the FTC and contacting the attorney general for the state they live in?

Also the letter should also CC the Verizon legal department.
Not mine. Came from droid life. I will never see a letter with my 9GB avg use. I also don't see any fraud or anything the FCC FTC BBB, etc will do about it. We are out of contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Does it say "UNLIMITED" on the bill?
Unlimited is marketing semantics. You know this. Just like att and tmo unlimited plans throttle after 22GB. UDP members don't have a dog in this fight or a pot to piss in.

Verizon can do whatever they want, like raising rates, kick off users, etc. Just like a bar. You can buy as many drinks as you want but once you're drunk they stop serving you. Call a cab and send you home.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Want another example. Go buy web hosting and try using unlimited disk space or bandwidth. Nothing in life is free or unlimited.