Verizon Drops Edge Upgrade Period From 6 Months to Only 30 Days

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-edge-when-you-want.png

Big Red is reportedly getting ready to offer an enhancement to their Verizon Edge quick upgrade plan by making it blazingly faster. For folks who want new phones early and often, the new version of Edge will have its upgrade period dropped from 6 months to only 30 days!

In case you haven't heard of Verizon Edge, it's basically an early upgrade option which allows users to quickly upgrade to new phones and pay for their devices with a $0 down payment and equal monthly installments for 24 month. Before now you were given the option to upgrade to a new phone every 6 months as long as you have paid off at least half of it in this time frame, and trade it in for the new one. With Verizon's newly improved Edge plan, the same policies hold true, but the instead of 6 months, you can do it in only 30 days.

This obviously isn't something most customers will want to do very often, but it does offer the ability to grab something new if you are itching for the new tech or unhappy with your current phone (or both). Reportedly Verizon will be classifying this as a promotion so it might be temporary; however, they have yet to set and end date, so if it proves to be an effective option for them, they might make it permanent.

Keep one caveat in mind with the Verizon Edge program... this offer doesn't lower your monthly payment at all, so it really isn't meant to offer you any monetary savings. It's really only designed to give you the ability to change devices whenever you want. Check out the link below for more details.

Source: Verizon

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So, pay 50% of a phone every 30 days?!? Is this an inside bet to see how big of a sucker people are willing to be?

There's another, less expensive way to do this folks...it's called EBAY

skipbl92

Reaction score
At first I was thinking "no brainer" as you rent a phone for 30 days, then I read on as saw that 50% of the phone would have to be paid off in order to get a new phone in 30 days. Just say no!

jspradling7

Reaction score
30 days, but only if you've paid off half the retail price of the phone? And you have to give them your current phone? Buying a phone for retail and getting to keep it is still a better deal if I understand the plan correctly.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep... it doesn't seem to offer much value except for extremely rare circumstances...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yep... it doesn't seem to offer much value except for extremely rare circumstances...

Essentially, this is for the IT manager who's CEO wants the latest phone every month and just doesn't care about the cost. But I must have been confused - I thought the current program already let you swap whenever you wanted so long as you had paid 50% of the phone.

Considering their 14-day return policy, which they sell for very slightly discounted "refurb"....I would think at maybe $60/mo some people with money burning a hole in their pocket would be interested in this

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I called a local vzw store and they said that you don't have to give them your old phone, you can keep it and sell it if you want to.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I called a local vzw store and they said that you don't have to give them your old phone, you can keep it and sell it if you want to.

They told you wrong. You get to keep it only if you've paid it off in full.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

blacksoxing

Reaction score

Did you get that rep's name? I wouldn't trust their word again in life...

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Perfect for the person who has deep pockets and lots of free time..and perhaps ADD (ANOTHER DANG DEVICE) :blink:

krazienluv10

Reaction score
this is a good plan "if" ur not on the unlimited plan, get to keep the phone after the 50% and wanting to upgrade to the newest fine every couple months.

heck, I would upgrade the wifes fone and pay the 50% right now if I'd get to keep it in time for me to get my s5. That way I'd get two new fones within a couple months

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
this is a good plan "if" ur not on the unlimited plan, get to keep the phone after the 50% and wanting to upgrade to the newest fine every couple months.

heck, I would upgrade the wifes fone and pay the 50% right now if I'd get to keep it in time for me to get my s5. That way I'd get two new fones within a couple months

This. Completely agree, the deal breaker for me is having to give up my grandfathered unlimited plan. Of course, Verizon is eventually going to get it down to "if you change your device, period, you have to choose a new plan". I say this because they've already made it so I can't make changes like going from 500 non-Verizon text messages/month to unlimited texting without getting rid of my unlimited plan. Grrrr.

If they ever force me off unlimited I will jump carriers.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
This. Completely agree, the deal breaker for me is having to give up my grandfathered unlimited plan. Of course, Verizon is eventually going to get it down to "if you change your device, period, you have to choose a new plan". I say this because they've already made it so I can't make changes like going from 500 non-Verizon text messages/month to unlimited texting without getting rid of my unlimited plan. Grrrr.

If they ever force me off unlimited I will jump carriers.

Voice and text doesn't affect unlimited data. I recently dropped from a family plan to the 900 min plan without touching my unlimited data.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Voice and text doesn't affect unlimited data. I recently dropped from a family plan to the 900 min plan without touching my unlimited data.

Did you have to call? Because on the website if I try to change my text plan it tells me my data plan is no longer available and gives me choices to pick. Of course I immediately cancel out.