Verizon Droid X Launch Details

Jason77

Reaction score
Hi all! New member, first time post. I just received an e-mail from my local Verizon Store letting me know how they are handling the launch of the Droid X. Here's a portion of the e-mail I received:

I spoke with you about a week or so ago regarding switching your service from AT&T to Verizon to take advantage of our smartphone devices, more specifically, the Droid. I apologize that sometime has passed since our last discussion yet wanted to offer you the opportunity to take part in our early launch of the Droid X on Thursday. We will be opening the doors early (between 7-8am) by appointment only, to put these fantastic devices in the hands of select customers. In the event that you are unable to schedule an appointment during those hours, I can also have the device overnighted to you for free. Unlike the Droid Incredible, these devices will be readily available, without a 3-4 week wait for shipment!

So there it is. That's what our local Verizon is doing for the launch. Looking forward to getting out from under the AT&T blanket!!:icon_ banana:

hendrix

Reaction score
Interesting. Will be stopping by my local verizon to see if they will be doing anything differently.

virginia4eva

Reaction score
Hi all! New member, first time post. I just received an e-mail from my local Verizon Store letting me know how they are handling the launch of the Droid X. Here's a portion of the e-mail I received:

I spoke with you about a week or so ago regarding switching your service from AT&T to Verizon to take advantage of our smartphone devices, more specifically, the Droid. I apologize that sometime has passed since our last discussion yet wanted to offer you the opportunity to take part in our early launch of the Droid X on Thursday. We will be opening the doors early (between 7-8am) by appointment only, to put these fantastic devices in the hands of select customers. In the event that you are unable to schedule an appointment during those hours, I can also have the device overnighted to you for free. Unlike the Droid Incredible, these devices will be readily available, without a 3-4 week wait for shipment!

So there it is. That's what our local Verizon is doing for the launch. Looking forward to getting out from under the AT&T blanket!!:icon_ banana:

If the e-mail is real, they are breaking policy! There is NO "early launch" Unless you are lucky to have gotten one from a "source" today:)

OP
Jason77

Jason77

Reaction score
The e-mail is real because the lady who sent it is very real. I've spoken with her in person in the store. They aren't breaking any early policy because it is still Thursday which is the release date. Its from 7 - 8 am. I phoned the lady who sent me the email and when she returned my call she told me they are doing appointments from 7 - 8 am for those who work for a living and cant make it into the store. Plus even if you cant make it into the store at all on Thursday, they will set you up over the phone and overnight you a Droid X so you will have it Friday.

mflynn

Reaction score
Going to verizonwireless.com and doing a store locator. I pull up the various verizon stores in my zip code, and all of them show an 8:00am as the open time for thursday.

If they're not doing anything special for the DX, they sure are getting an early start.

mountainlover

Reaction score
I also live in NC and was told they are setting appointments for an early opening on Thursday.

car guy

Reaction score
We are in Athens, OH. The lady I originally talked to told us to make an appointment with her to get the phone. I called to set up the appt and she wasn't in. I explained why i was calling and she sent an email to the original girl to have her call me. Called the next day and was told the original girl was on maternity leave and wouldn't be bakc for a while. She told me that there was no reason to make an appointment, just show up early on Thursday. I felt like I was getting the run-around for some reason so I had my wife call today. She talked to some guy that confirmed we didn't need an appointment. Just show up at opening. they weren't doing anything special at all. I'm really hoping I dont get screwed somehow. MY BB is dying and I need a new phone.

viperxz713

Reaction score
I live in Dayton, OH and setup an appointment at my local store @ 8am. They said I can skip the lines and walk right in to get my phone.

Thanks for this post -- good advice here. Awesome!!!

OP
Jason77

Jason77

Reaction score
Same here. My appointment is set up at 7 am sharp! Getting excited!dancedroid

DukeBD711

Reaction score
I went into my local store on Friday, they are not taking appointments. It'd be nice if the all the stores had a consistent plan!!
Looks like I'll have to nerd it out and get there early. Coming from an ipwn which crapped out a month ago and I've been using a nokia bar since.
Excited to make the switch!!
dancedroid

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is different for every store. I'm hoping Best Buy opens bright and early on Thursday!

Ansextra

Reaction score
I just called my local VZ store. They're not opening early and they're not expecting massive crowds. They said it will probably be a bit more crowded than usual but they expect that to be kids who can't buy the phone without their parents' permission. They do expect the kids to be looking at it though... :)

viperxz713

Reaction score
I called several other stores in the area (of Dayton, OH). These we're not "official" Verizon stores -- I guess they're resellers? They have names like "Premium Retailer' or 'Airone Wireless' or 'Wireless Living'.

After calling each one, none of these stores opened early and _none_ of them were taking appointments (though 1 did offer to 'hold' the phone for me).

The "official" Verizon store I found in this area was the only one to give me an appointment. If you go to verizonwireless.com, I believe these are signified with a picture of a little store next to the name.

Hope this helps a fellow X'er. Can't wait to get my first Droid!

dangerous

Reaction score

If the e-mail is real, they are breaking policy! There is NO "early launch" Unless you are lucky to have gotten one from a "source" today:)

Stores are opening early on the 15th. i know my store is open at 8am. that doesn't make it an early launch....

nosacking

Reaction score
Appointments are real in Louisiana

I have an appointment made this Saturday for 7/15 @ 8:01AM. They said they will take all appointments first and go from there. I also have a preorder at Best Buy and I am debating on whether or not to wait till 9AM for Best Buy or VZW. The VZW is a definite, but $100 more at startup...

Which would you choose? :icon_eek: