Verizon Droid X inventories becoming depleted

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon Droid X inventories officially depleted, next batch 7/23

droid_x_delay.JPG

Update 7/15 @ 8:51PM EST: Droid X officially sold out online. Next batch will be shipping by July 23rd (via MobileCrunch). No word yet on when retail stores will be re-stocked.

Update 7/15 @ 9:11PM EST: That discounted 32gb MicroSD card is available from VZW for $50? (via Droid Life)

We all probably saw this one coming. Droid X inventories are running low, and in many cases, stores are selling out. Although the sheer amount of Droid X devices available today were far greater than that original 25,000 figure, there have been numerous reports of Verizon Stores already selling out of the Droid X; some Best Buy stores could not even cover all their pre-orders, according to sources.

As a case study, I contacted three local Verizon stores at 2PM (in Staten Island, NY); two were running low, and one had already sold out at that point. One store told me that they may be receiving another shipment "later today", and that I should try back tomorrow. The local Best Buy also had none left, but would not comment if it was able to cover its pre-orders. The bad news, many people were denied the chance to obtain a Droid X on launch day. On the other hand, the good news is that the demand for the new Moto device was extremely high, and that we may see more Droid X shipments as early as tomorrow.

Furthermore, according to BGR, there have been multiple reports of the Droid X having activation issues; that only voice was activating, leaving new customers without a 3G data connection. According to Verizon, the activation servers had become overloaded, and that there was a 2-hour backlog for data activations. Let's take Big Red at its word here.

So, did anyone else leave a Verizon store empty-handed? And did anybody with a Best Buy pre-order get denied? Let us know!

Source BGR

Last edited:

FireDroid

Reaction score
Corporate store that I was at at 8am had 78 and I was #53! I got in and out in 1.5 hours!

sphen22

Reaction score
I got mine in Cali. They had Fifty and there were about 12 left when I got mine. I also had the 3G problem. Got to the car and was like hmmmm. My old droid still had 3G and could surf the web but could not make phone calls and my new X had only voice. Went back and the rep emailed some support line from my phone and viola it was fine. Been loving it all day, loaded up with apps and diff accounts, VPN and remo desktop and its beggin for more just as snappy as it was bare bones.

The rep did intially deny me the phone however. I was planning on buying it full retail. He said the option on his computer to buy the phone at retail was blacked out because they want new contracts. So I just added a line switched the X to my old line and put an old dumb phone on the new line I had. Now I think i'm supposed to mail in the rebate and then do the ETF. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Also the rep was great!! He knew exactly what I wanted to do once I said add a line... lol

mike_fresh

Reaction score
pre-ordered mine at Best Buy , was number 9 .. My local store only got 6 ! ... sucks , hopefully another shipment comes in 2morrow

we_suffer

Reaction score
I am 100% dissatisfied with Verizon right now.

Verizon was allowing me to upgrade my phone a year + in advance because I had replaced my old phone 4 times, within six months of purchasing it.

I called today to order a Droid X since Verizon cannot force a store to allow me to upgrade my phone @ the new every 2 price.

When placing my order I asked the gentleman if he was certain that there were no issues with supply, he said MULTIPLE times that it would not be an issue. At one point he even said the reason the Incredible had so much trouble was because the processors were on back order, where as the X uses a Texas Instrument processor which is "readily available." So I figure since, there was as he put it "no issues whatsoever with product availability", I would place my order with next day shipping. He said "the phone will arrive at your house tomorrow by 7:00pm at the latest, I swear" because I stressed that I didn't want to pay for expedited shipping if I was going to have to wait for it to even be in stock.

Well I went online to look at the Verizon site for accessories... and what do I see next to the Droid X? "Will be shipped by 7/23." I decide to play it safe and call to make sure my order was placed ready to be shipped.

Guess what? They hadn't even processed my order, some 5 hours later. The woman said it had to be sent to a manager for approval even though in the notes section on my account it clearly stated as the gentleman I spoke to earlier in the day said "Discount @ New 2 year price, with restart of contract."

So who knows when I'll be getting my phone, but as far as ordering from the website or over the phone... apparently they are tapped out.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am 100% dissatisfied with Verizon right now.

Verizon was allowing me to upgrade my phone a year + in advance because I had replaced my old phone 4 times, within six months of purchasing it.

I called today to order a Droid X since Verizon cannot force a store to allow me to upgrade my phone @ the new every 2 price.

When placing my order I asked the gentleman if he was certain that there were no issues with supply, he said MULTIPLE times that it would not be an issue. At one point he even said the reason the Incredible had so much trouble was because the processors were on back order, where as the X uses a Texas Instrument processor which is "readily available." So I figure since, there was as he put it "no issues whatsoever with product availability", I would place my order with next day shipping. He said "the phone will arrive at your house tomorrow by 7:00pm at the latest, I swear" because I stressed that I didn't want to pay for expedited shipping if I was going to have to wait for it to even be in stock.

Well I went online to look at the Verizon site for accessories... and what do I see next to the Droid X? "Will be shipped by 7/23." I decide to play it safe and call to make sure my order was placed ready to be shipped.

Guess what? They hadn't even processed my order, some 5 hours later. The woman said it had to be sent to a manager for approval even though in the notes section on my account it clearly stated as the gentleman I spoke to earlier in the day said "Discount @ New 2 year price, with restart of contract."

So who knows when I'll be getting my phone, but as far as ordering from the website or over the phone... apparently they are tapped out.

Whenever you place a special order it requires approval. That can take a day.

I would bet you will see your X here by Tuesday. Maybe even Monday.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
This is not good, I just placed an order that is supposed to arrive on Tuesday but there was a chance my upgrade wouldn't be approved so I thought that was my worry. Now there may not even be a phone to ship. That is worse.

ninefall

Reaction score
At one point he even said the reason the Incredible had so much trouble was because the processors were on back order, where as the X uses a Texas Instrument processor which is "readily available."
This should have been your first clue he didnt know what he was talking about. It was the screen on back order, not the processor

bje1982

Reaction score
At one point he even said the reason the Incredible had so much trouble was because the processors were on back order, where as the X uses a Texas Instrument processor which is "readily available."
This should have been your first clue he didnt know what he was talking about. It was the screen on back order, not the processor

Beat me to it.. just call and ask for the supervisor and explain yourself calmly never know

bobsdroidx

Reaction score
i walked into a verizon store on Long island N.Y. around 1pm and got my droid x. No lines or wait. in and out in 10 minutes with my droid x. If it matters i had the motorola droid so i didnt have to create new accounts or anything else.

tony1208

Reaction score
just ordered online...23rd they said ..oh well no choice but to wait..

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Updated OP with some "new" info.

PhDCow

Reaction score
I also had the weird data/voice activation thing going on. The voice activated right away (no delay), but I didn't get 3G until 4 hours later. Mind you, I bought mine around 9:30 and most of the stores in my area opened at 9.

I've never gotten a phone on a launch day before and I was really excited. Oh, and I got a nice stainless steel canteen with the new Verizon logo and slogan for free.