Verizon Droid data plan - corporate or personal

dapopa9

Reaction score
I have been a long time T-mobile customer but now thinking about switching to Verzion and need help.

In signing up with Verzion on the website, selecting the Moto Droid, i'm presented with two data plan options:

1. Unlimited Corporate Email & Web for Smartphones (business & personal email) - $44.99/month
  2. Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email) - $29.99/month

Besides the $15 fee is there actually a difference in service?

Does it actually block ActiveSync from running if I sign-up for the $29.99?

Can I sign-up for the $29.99 and connect to my personal Exchange server via ActiveSync?

thanks for the help!

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
You dont need the corporate plan unless you are planning on hooking your phone up to an exchange server...
So if your just using any regular web based email, gmail, roadrunner, yahoo... what not, the personal will work.
I actually run a business with my droid and use multiple gmail and roadrunner accounts on the personal plan

agdaniels

Reaction score
The corporate plan isn't necessary, they don't block activesync. You can use an app like touchdown to sync with exchange. The new desire rom which is currently being ported also has built in exchange support.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The Personal Plan works on an Exchange Server....I've been doing it for close to 4 months.

The $45 plan is not needed.

OP
D

dapopa9

Reaction score
Cyrus thanks for the response...but guess what I'm looking for is more detail of what the technical difference between the two plans is. which goes back to two of my questions:

Does it actually block ActiveSync (Exchange Server connection) from running if I sign-up for the $29.99?

Can I sign-up for the $29.99 and connect to my personal Exchange server via ActiveSync?

I cannot think of a way that they could block this since everything runs over port 80 and 443. Any ideas?

OP
D

dapopa9

Reaction score
Ok cool. yeah I couldn't technically speaking think of anyway they could actually block access to my Exchange server via ActiveSync. Good to know I was right : )
icon_%20banana.gif

The Personal Plan works on an Exchange Server....I've been doing it for close to 4 months.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Corporate Exchange and do not have the $45 plan. I believe the difference lies in how your IT folks configure the security of the server.

Mike

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unless your email server is hosted by Verizon you don't need the $45 plan. Period. And if that is the case, you'll hear about it from your employer or wherever you get your email hosted. If anyone from Verizon tells you different, ask to speak to their supervisor.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unless your email server is hosted by Verizon you don't need the $45 plan. Period. And if that is the case, you'll hear about it from your employer or wherever you get your email hosted. If anyone from Verizon tells you different, ask to speak to their supervisor.
^ This

In other words:

Does it actually block ActiveSync (Exchange Server connection) from running if I sign-up for the $29.99?
No.

Yes.

liorv

Reaction score
I use the Corporate plan. The difference is how you configure the security of the server.

Dunc

Reaction score
I get the idea that you don't need the corporate plan to access a corporate exhange email account; however, does the corporate plan allow the use of exchange contacts/calendars/etc?

I currently have the personal plan on my droid and can get my business exchange email on it, but I can't seem to get my exchange calendar/contacts. I'm asking for my dad who has a blackberry storm and currently uses the corporate plan. I just wanted to make sure he could still get his business contacts/calendars syncd.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Exchange with a personal plan and I am able to receive/send email, access contacts, and view my calendar. Do you have a contact within your IT department that my be able to assist you?

Mike

agdaniels

Reaction score
When you configure your exchange email, click manual setup and choose exchange. Once completed, you should see a checkbox that says sync contacts. For calander use the application called corporate calander

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I am on the $29 plan and can sync mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks. I can also sync notes but gotta use the cable for that.

a44kaliburll

Reaction score

yup me too...for me I use Gmail for my personal and Exchange for work...and there is no required app for me to use my work email that isnt already installed on the droid...

i even sync my corporate calendar with my work calendar and it is a real nice feature..i use my phone as my pocket brain...because i often leave my real brain at home!