Verizon disconnects heavy data users in rural areas.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
9e81e88f7fb445d6f7b86fcc4bc09828.jpg

Verizon Wireless said it is disconnecting a small group of customers who use vast amounts of data in rural areas where Verizon relies on roaming agreements with smaller network operators.
Verizon Wireless disconnects some heavy data users in rural areas

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I hate big business that sells services but don't want you you use it after you buy it. there may be a small group of data hogs but verizon should still be making a nice profit overall because of the much larger group.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Mobile data was never meant to be your home ISP, Verizon was quite clear from the beginning. Use more than 20 Gigs, you will be de-prioritized. Use 100 gigs (or whatever the pre-determined amount was), you will be booted.

To be fair, I haven't heard of too many customers on the actual Verizon network being de-prioritized or even booted off. Sounds like the third party services said enough is enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
rural areas don't have a choice. mobile data is the only access they may have and verizon knew that from the start when they first offered the service. IMO, unlimited means unlimited. if you get kicked off because of usage, then it should never be sold as unlimited. They should never even use that term.

as far as third party being the culprit, doubt it, according to the article, it looked like verizon was under contract to pay them the roaming fees or x amount in lieu of the fees. they were making money from verizon.

i guess that is enough ranting...

OP
xeene

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon was quite clear from the beginning. Use more than 20 Gigs, you will be de-prioritized. Use 100 gigs (or whatever the pre-determined amount was), you will be booted.
Actually this is where Verizon was anything but clear from the start. I got on their unlimited plan in 2010 when 4g didn't exist. When lte rolled out I called and asked their service agent about limits and caps and if I will get in trouble, their response was "use as much as you want". So I went on using 50gb a day for a few months just to see what I can get away with. It was their words, not mine. They advertised it as no limit, use all you want service and shot themselves in a foot.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Actually this is where Verizon was anything but clear from the start. I got on their unlimited plan in 2010 when 4g didn't exist. When lte rolled out I called and asked their service agent about limits and caps and if I will get in trouble, their response was "use as much as you want". So I went on using 50gb a day for a few months just to see what I can get away with. It was their words, not mine. They advertised it as no limit, use all you want service and shot themselves in a foot.

Back then it was a free for all on data.... it is no longer that way. Verizon re-introduced their unlimited plan with clear cut guidelines.
IMO we all need to stop complaining about companies not giving us what we want.... true unlimited data does not exist on ANY carrier!

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

RyanPm40

Reaction score
rural areas don't have a choice. mobile data is the only access they may have and verizon knew that from the start when they first offered the service. IMO, unlimited means unlimited. if you get kicked off because of usage, then it should never be sold as unlimited. They should never even use that term.

as far as third party being the culprit, doubt it, according to the article, it looked like verizon was under contract to pay them the roaming fees or x amount in lieu of the fees. they were making money from verizon.

i guess that is enough ranting...
I didn't know there were still places in the US incapable of installing internet and cable TV, weird.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I didn't know there were still places in the US incapable of installing internet and cable TV, weird.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
You may be surprised that there are also places without running/city water or sanitary sewers (probably the same areas).

But in all seriousness, it may not be a wired service but they have options but don't want to pay for it. I mean if back woods shanties in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic can get internet, then folks here can too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

willieaames

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony xperia Z 1
This is why I've been saying wireless networks are at best a short term stop-gap measure and we need to compel ISP's to build out actual infrastructure.