1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon Demands LTE on all Future Equipment

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jan 13, 2012.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

If a manufacturer is unwilling to embed an LTE radio into their equipement then they should just shop their goods elsewhere. That means every smartphone, wireless hot spot, tablet, and Netbook. From Android to Windows and everything in between, LTE or no go. There is but one exception and that is the push-to-talk devices. Those operate over their 4G network and until that is moved over they will remain the exception.

Windows handsets will not be left out. Keith Lampron, Verizon's Associate Director of device marketing, said they have every intention of supporting Windows phones.

Verizon is on a tear with their LTE network and they are not stopping for anybody or anything. Big Red says it's on track to complete its LTE infrastructure by the end of 2013. They currently cover 190 markets and 200 million people.

The LTE train is picking up steam folks and what a wild ride it's been so far. With the many outages experienced by customers, Lampron is putting things in perspective "We're paving the way here for the rest of the world on LTE."

Source: GigaOm
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess Apple better get their stuff together, then! :biggrin:
  3. VirtualCLD

VirtualCLD New Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Verizon already has an understanding with Apple (or vice versa) that the next iPhone will have LTE. However, I could be completely wrong. If they had to put LTE on there for Verizon, then they would probably want to make sure they have LTE for AT&T, but I believe AT&T's LTE network operates on a different frequency than Verizon's.
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I doubt Apple will have LTE soon and I bet Verizon will allow it. If I was other phone manufactures and that happened, Verizon wouldn't get any phones for a while. We'll see I guess.
  5. nikecar

nikecar New Member

I think VZW CAN tell folks this is the new way. Its like Apple with the iPhone before saying this is what we demand if you want an iPhone.

since VZW has the largest 4G (argue sprint/tmo all you want) that for all purposes works, and they can now say if you want to be on this network, you need LTE.

I think later on they cannot when ATT comes on line, but for now, yes.
  6. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p New Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    Ahh! Great move! Let's just hope that by then we don't get outages every week! ;)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!
  7. kodiak799

I'm fairly certain the next IPhone will be LTE-capable. Now the IPad3 (or will it be an IPad 2S?) that supposedly may be launching in a few months might be a different story. I'm sure VZW will have some sort of loophole applying to devices "BEGINNING" development from this day forward.

In a way, the guideline is kind of unnecessary. Aside from Apple, the more widespread VZW LTE network becomes the more it makes no sense for an OEM to launch a 3G-only device.
  8. Nealius

Nealius New Member

And how long before VZW increases its data rates? Mid 2013 would be my guess.
  9. kodiak799

Yes, let's start complaining about actions yet to be taken, even when such complaints have routinely proven to be unfounded in the past. The trend, even recently (4gb promotion plans), has been value creation rather than paying more for the same quality/service. That's certainly been the direction in home broadband.
  10. metalspring

metalspring New Member

this idea is pretty much common sense, especially considering you can always disable 4g if you arent in a 4g area...its kind of like having wifi, if you are in range of it of course you want it on, however if you arent then you might as well turn it off and what smart phones arent wifi capable these days?
  11. N4UPD

N4UPD New Member

I just want Verizon to roll out it's 2012 schedule for 4g LTE deployment.
  12. biglipps66

biglipps66 New Member

I just want them to fix their crap before rolling out even MORE places first :blink:
  13. abadbronc

abadbronc New Member

I think Verizon should worry about getting 4G on it's towers first. I won't see it in my area until late 2013 (maybe). My Gnex will be obsolete by then.
  14. tjk629

tjk629 New Member

I'm not surprised.

With both AT&T and Sprint deploying LTE; vzw is going to have to be even more aggressive. With both equipment and coverage.
  15. WildcatRudy

WildcatRudy New Member

Exactly--fix the broken ones first. LTE never works in my neighborhood, despite my getting a strong signal otherwise. Yet we have it throughout our metro area and I've used it elsewhere.
  16. revelated

revelated New Member

If the next iPhone/iPad comes out with 3G only and Verizon allows it...it's time to get the FCC involved. That's blatantly wrong treatment and favoritism that should not be tolerated. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Force Apple to play or drop future devices. Send a message. I'm sure they're a cash cow, but they're also a headache to activate and you can't bloat them out, so tell them to kick rocks. Especially if Microsoft gets on the ball with an LTE device (which is what I'm waiting on myself).
  17. jkhonea

jkhonea Super Moderator

I don't much see any way the next iPhone will come out without having LTE. My guess is they have been watching the development of the single radio LTE chip rather that two chip setups.
  18. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

So all those basic flip phones now need to have 4G?
  19. SGTSCHU

SGTSCHU New Member

All fine and good to demand LTE, trying to ensure phones are not limited to 3g. As a consumer that bought my RAZR without LTE in my area, can I demand it from big red? Perhaps one day.....I bought the phone for the phone, not LTE.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  20. Arodnum1

Arodnum1 New Member

That's what I've been saying. Speed test at my house I routinely get 1-10mbps down, and that's on the rare occasion I get a signal! If I go up the street a half mile I get constant 20+mbps speeds, I think I broke into the lower 40's. I would like to see a stronger, better developed product rather than expanding the far from perfect LTE network we do have

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

”single radio lte” verizon