Verizon Decides Against Galaxy Note 7 Bricking Update

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It should come as no surprise that Verizon will not be sending out the Galaxy Note 7 bricking update. Actually that was just a bit of sarcasm as Verizon has been known in the past for being the last to release updates. However this time Verizon claims to have a pretty good reason to not release the Galaxy Note 7 update. They say that it would actually be more dangerous to brick these devices than to allow ticking time bombs to be held by their customers. According to Verizon it just wouldn't be responsible to take away what could be a customer's life line in case of an emergency. If they send out the update Note 7 users who don't have an alternative device to use would be without a phone in case of an emergency. For this reason they have decided to forgo the update. This reasoning actually makes sense to me. What are your thoughts? Is Verizon taking more of a risk to allow the phones to continue to operate?

via TheVerge

Briankbl

Reaction score
Verizon is coming at this from the wrong angle. The device is under RECALL! Turn your freaking phone in for something else! Need your phone for emergencies? Turn in your recalled phone for a new phone! Verizon blocking this update is extremely irresponsible and could cause more injuries.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Verizon will not succeed in this stance.... just my guess...

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing the big picture here, the reason VZW is not onboard because
  1. They have not had enough time for their engineers to test the update.
  2. They have not had the time to prepare the update with all of their bloat apps.
Look Verizon is trying to help the cause here. See they know the best way to kill a battery is to load it with all the uninstall-able VZ apps they can push that will both kill the battery faster than anything Samsung could do and make the phone so that the user will want to turn it in because of the lack of space left on their phones.

Red has it all figured out.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I think you guys are missing the big picture here, the reason VZW is not onboard because
  1. They have not had enough time for their engineers to test the update.
  2. They have not had the time to prepare the update with all of their bloat apps.
Look Verizon is trying to help the cause here. See they know the best way to kill a battery is to load it with all the uninstall-able VZ apps they can push that will both kill the battery faster than anything Samsung could do and make the phone so that the user will want to turn it in because of the lack of space left on their phones.

Red has it all figured out.

You is funny Sir...

Amagine

Reaction score
Verizon is coming at this from the wrong angle. The device is under RECALL! Turn your freaking phone in for something else! Need your phone for emergencies? Turn in your recalled phone for a new phone! Verizon blocking this update is extremely irresponsible and could cause more injuries.

While I see you're point. I am also of the point that if someone doesn't want to give it up for what ever reason ( can't, no other phone they like, etc) they shouldn't be forced to.
Truth is less than a percent of these phones had a defect. You don't see Volkswagen pulling the starter out of every TDI regardless of if their customers want them to.
Heck there are still Ford Pintos and Pontiac Fieros on the road regardless of their recalls in the past.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...ke-verizon-willing-to-kill-off-galaxy-note-7/

That is what being responsible looks like...

Sorry DP, while not owning a Note 7, I feel this smacks of "Father knows best" and is insulting to American adults. The whole attitude is one of "Be quiet and do as we say" and I'm just not comfortable with that approach.

If I *did* have a Note 7, my reponse would probably be to smash the phone into pieces, take the broken parts to an AT&T store in a paper bag, identify myself and pour the pieces onto the counter and tell them "Here is your Note 7 back, feel free to place it where the sun doesn't shine. I refuse your offer of a replacement phone, or a refund. You and I are no longer going to do business together"...

Then I would probably go to one of those regional phone companies, sign on and choose a NON SAMSUNG android phone and get on with my life.

But as I said, I don't own a Note 7, so I got no dog in the fight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Sorry DP, while not owning a Note 7, I feel this smacks of "Father knows best" and is insulting to American adults. The whole attitude is one of "Be quiet and do as we say" and I'm just not comfortable with that approach.

If I *did* have a Note 7, my reponse would probably be to smash the phone into pieces, take the broken parts to an AT&T store in a paper bag, identify myself and pour the pieces onto the counter and tell them "Here is your Note 7 back, feel free to place it where the sun doesn't shine. I refuse your offer of a replacement phone, or a refund. You and I are no longer going to do business together"...

Then I would probably go to one of those regional phone companies, sign on and choose a NON SAMSUNG android phone and get on with my life.

But as I said, I don't own a Note 7, so I got no dog in the fight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
No, that's what bullying looks like. Some of us are ready, they can release any update they want!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Well I sent My Note 7 back yesterday!☹️☹️☹️

I sent mine back because in the next month or so you will have no choice. A friend of mine at Verizon said that if you do block the update it doesn't matter. They will send you an message giving you a chance to get another phone after the message and the date they give you is up you will be cut off by your provider not a software update. It is coming. I will get the next Note 8 when it is released.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Well I sent My Note 7 back yesterday!☹️☹️☹️

I sent mine back because in the next month or so you will have no choice. A friend of mine at Verizon said that if you do block the update it doesn't matter. They will send you an message giving you a chance to get another phone after the message and the date they give you is up you will be cut off by your provider not a software update. It is coming. I will get the next Note 8 when it is released.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Preach, thought you sent it back long ago to get the Pixie?

Sent by my new S7-Edge

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I pre-ordered the Pixel XL. in October. It just came on Tuesday. I used my Note 7 until it arrived!!!
OK wow, didn't realize it was that long... Sad, but had to happen... You'll Enjoy the Pixel I'm sure