Verizon confirms 1 in 1,000 of Droid X devices have defective screens

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They actually send you a BRAND NEW unit. It is part of the worry free guarentee thing they have going. They charge you for the new phone to be sent out and once they get the old phone charges go bye bye. Yeah i have to go through this.

Absolutely correct. Beyond the 30 days you would get a refurb.

Refurbs always get a bad rap and I think it's unwarranted. I'd wager more people who get refurbs are fine with them as opposed to people who are unhappy with them. You just see the complaining on the internet, nobody ever writes, "Got my refurb, works great."

brandegy

Reaction score
They actually send you a BRAND NEW unit. It is part of the worry free guarentee thing they have going. They charge you for the new phone to be sent out and once they get the old phone charges go bye bye. Yeah i have to go through this.

Refurbs always get a bad rap and I think it's unwarranted. I'd wager more people who get refurbs are fine with them as opposed to people who are unhappy with them. You just see the complaining on the internet, nobody ever writes, "Got my refurb, works great."

Sadly enough when I had BB Tour it had a trackball problem and when i got the refurb i was sooo happy. But that was understandable. But still i have not problems with refurbs as long as they work.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Ha, Apple must be hurting so bad right now with all the people scoring on it's latest product's glaring defect. I wonder how many people got fired over this major screw up. How did the iPhone go from being Apple and AT&T's flagship device to being the silent competitor hiding in the shadows of shame? A bumper? Proper holding procedure for optimal call quality? That's just sounds ghetto rigged like no ones business.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Let me see if I go his straight? So you pay for a $600 new device so after a few days or meybe few hours when you reported defective, Versizon send you a refurbished unit?

That excactly why I dont believe the insurance on phones are worth.

Absolutely not, take it to a Verizon store that has some in stock and they will give you a brand new unit. All that refurbished nonsense is only for people who go through Asurion. Your case is unique, not to mention you are within the your 30 day grace period.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

I think Verizon will make a exception and extend this 30 day grace period because it is a legitimate problem, without actually making it official.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

Your absolutely correct, but what you say applies to any device brand new or not.

megawatz

Reaction score
That's not a big deal. LGs phones had a 1:100 ration in defects, at least when I had my Scoop (AX260) and my enV Touch (VX11000). I had to go through 3 each.

Anyway, the margin for any phone thats being produced is about 80%. If you've read up on rooting and the how-to on overclocking, the reason why phones can't run with 1.2Ghz kernels is because of that margin. same thing with screens, if it's 1:1000, and they release 300,000 phones, 3000 of them are going to have that issue.

300, not 3000.

300,000/1,000 = 300

Not a big deal at all.

It was a BS estimate. lol. Thanks for the correction :D

wayneh13

Reaction score
i purchased 2 droid x phones on the 15th -- 1 for myself and 1 for my wife. And, of course, my wife's phone had the screen problem. I have received the replacement and am sending back the original. Unfortunately, it took 2 hours in the verizon store to get this resolved. They were not prepared for this type of problem at all.

eahrman

Reaction score
I called this in on the second day I had the droid X, I just called in about my volume issue and the technical service rep STILL acted like he had no idea what i was talking about.

RemoveYourHat

Reaction score
My Droid X just started to display this banding/flickering problem today. I looked up the issue on the net, and found a lot of referenced articles to this being acknowledged by Verizon/Motorola. When I called Tech Support, to ask about a replacement, I was told by the Supervisor that the article/e-mail/press release did not exist, because she had not seen it. I even read it to her (her reply was anyone can write anything and say it came from Verizon). No help. I can quote the release from the exerpts on the net. However, Does anyone have a true copy of this, from Verizon, with headers ect? Not getting anywhere with them. Though the issue was reported in July of 2010, my phone just started this today. I am out of the 30 day window, though several net articles I read said that Verizon was replacing phones with "New" glitch free units. My issue, honestly, is with the refeb'd unit. I presume I would be sent a referb unit, FOC. However, with Motorola/Verizon acknowleding the issue, getting a used phone does not seem correct to me. Others were sent new phones before me. Verizon just dropped the price of the Droid X, w/contract to $50 new/$0 referb, and after paying $200, I am not good with getting a phone that has already been thru the usage cycle once. Help is appreciated.

Big Ry

Reaction score
I didn't even know if this issue until you resurected this old thread. But my advice to you is as follows:

If company X's customer service refuses to give you what you want, call back and talk to someone else. If your demands are reasonable, you will typically have them met by only talking to a few customer service reps at most. If all else fails, keep asking to speak to supervisors until your pretty far up the line. Often, they hold the true power. Hell, that's what got me a free D2. I kept complaining about my D1 issues and a supervisor's supervisor finally agreed to send me a free D2 to replace the D1 :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

tlozano09

Reaction score
wow my phone just started flickering last week! verizon sent me two replacements (the first one rebooted constantly), but the second one works flawlessly.

My question is should i call them back and tell them i want a brand new phone, or just stick with the working replacement.
(I know this is nitpicky but i feel like i should get a new phone when i paid for it, if it stops working.)