Verizon cleans bugs from our Droid2s

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Both of our Droid2s (unrooted) were experiencing occasional screen freezes where the only way out was a battery pull. We have mostly the same apps, all highly recommended in the reviews. Factory reset one D2, didn't solve the problem. Took them both to VZW where they took them into the "back room" and put them on the computer. Rep brings them back about five minutes later and says there were "bugs" in both, more in the one that had a factory reset a week earlier. Did they really do anything, or was this just their way of patting me on the head and hoping I would go away? What "bugs" is he talking about?
I guess I got the issue on record, so if it freezes again, I may be entitled to a replacement. Can't predict what causes the screen freeze or when it will happen, and can't leave the phone in the frozen state for long, as we need the phones constantly.
Would an app like Lookout prevent these "bugs"?
A few hours after VZW cleansed the bugs from our phones, I had opened an app (Sundroid) and when I tried to change the location, the phone crashed. Coincidence? Sundroid is a very highly rated app with no complaints I've seen about crashes.
We rarely turn our phones off. Would power cycling them every couple of days help alleviate the screen freeze problem?
Thanks for any advice!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They probably cleared the cache and sent you on your way. Short of SBF, they can't do much IMHO.

Probably a pat on the head.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They are straight up lying to you. Anyway, what's wrong with them? We're probably more help than retail.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Both of our Droid2s (unrooted) were experiencing occasional screen freezes where the only way out was a battery pull. We have mostly the same apps, all highly recommended in the reviews. Factory reset one D2, didn't solve the problem. Took them both to VZW where they took them into the "back room" and put them on the computer. Rep brings them back about five minutes later and says there were "bugs" in both, more in the one that had a factory reset a week earlier. Did they really do anything, or was this just their way of patting me on the head and hoping I would go away? What "bugs" is he talking about?
I guess I got the issue on record, so if it freezes again, I may be entitled to a replacement. Can't predict what causes the screen freeze or when it will happen, and can't leave the phone in the frozen state for long, as we need the phones constantly.
Would an app like Lookout prevent these "bugs"?
A few hours after VZW cleansed the bugs from our phones, I had opened an app (Sundroid) and when I tried to change the location, the phone crashed. Coincidence? Sundroid is a very highly rated app with no complaints I've seen about crashes.
We rarely turn our phones off. Would power cycling them every couple of days help alleviate the screen freeze problem?
Thanks for any advice!

i had many many many problems with the Droid 2. i have been sent 6 new phones and Verizon said pretty much sad too bad so sad we will just keep sending you new ones until you get one that works like its supposed to. So, I got my current one. It was/is working good(no problems with the key board, no random calling people when the phone is POWERED OFF, no screen problems, no freezes, no battery draining in 20 mins and getting really hot,no camera that doesnt work) So I rooted it(never tried it before) and went to ginger bread(also deleted the bloatware). No problems and it is a much more satisfying phone!!!!:icon_ banana:(Its peanut butter jelly time!)

It simply just works like it is supposed to. I went from a droid 1 to a droid 2 and now it finally feels like I went from a droid 1 to a droid 2. Before it just felt like I downgraded to a droid 2 vs an upgrade!

I highly recommend rooting and going to the rooted ginger bread(well get a new one from verizon first, then your atleast starting fresh. make sure everything works on it...then root it). I tried 2 other roms(apex and liberty). I like just ginger bread more. Its super easy to do. if you brick it, come back here tell us what you did and we shall help(i wont cause i havent the clue). But if i can do it anyone can.

Last edited:

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Just a note, if you hold down the alt, the key above it, and del key on you keyboard, it is like control, alt, delete on a computer and restarts the phone. Beats pulling the battery.

I have had the D2 almost a year now, and only freezes I get is when the market is downloading updates and I surfing the web on the phone at the same time.

And yes, just like a computer, you need to power cycle the phone from time to time.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. An update; the one D2 that would freeze when trying to slide the unlock icon to the right did it again. So I left it in that frozen state and took it to the VZW store. Sales rep pulled the battery (thanks for the Alt/Shift/Delete tip), checked it out, did a soft reset, ran the reprogramming thing (it was up to date), and cleaned the cache. Did the same to mine. He then ordered two replacement phones, due to arrive some time next week (after Irene). Told me I could send either the replacements back or our originals. Don't know how long I will have to verify that the replacements won't freeze up. They better be pristine, as our current phones are. My Plan B is to sent both replacements back with a nastygram if not satisfactory and use my old Droid 1 in place of the one that freezes up all the time. Got a whole year to go before I can upgrade.
After all the cache cleaning and updating and power cycling, the more troublesome D2 froze up again the same day. Seems like we're in cellphone hell if VZW can't come up with two D2s that actually work.
UPDATE: 8/30/11; received two "Certified Like New" D2s via USPS yesterday. Indeed, they were in pristine condition, and we began the tedious task of setting them up the way we had the originals customized to our liking. Frustrating that the "Market" was an old version that didn't have an option to see "My Apps", and no way to update the Market. The Amazon Appstore was easier, and could reload all the apps we had obtained from there. Miraculously, the Google Market updated itself overnight. VZW only gives us five days to return the originals, a small window to determine if the phone will freeze again. But maybe Gingerbread will be out by then.

Last edited:

VZW_CS

Reaction score
I'm happy you received the replacement phones today.I would recommend NOT re-installing any Anti Virus or Adavanced Task Killer apps as they can adversely affect the phone.Get in the habit of clearing cache when/if your phone starts to get sluggish.Also, the way to tell if there is an app that is causing the phone to misbehave is to put it in Safe Mode. Safe Mode temporarily disables all applications that have been installed via the Android Market. Performing this troubleshooting step is necessary to determine whether a 3rd party application is the cause of an Operating System / Application issue. Safe Mode should always be performed prior to a hard (factory) reset. I would put the phone in SAFE MODE for a few hours or even a day (depending on how long it normally took the phone to freeze) If it freezes in SAFE MODE, then there is a problem with the phone and a HARD RESET is suggested. (Steps for SAFE MODE & HARD RESET) can be found on our Support PageI hope I was able to provide you with some information.Tamara H.VZW Support Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

juv3

Reaction score
Read, and Read, and Read... i didn't gain anything by reading your post, but you can gain a lot of knoledge about your phone(no matter what model) if you read and google your questions and read and read and search and search, till one day you can school the people at verizon and only have to visit them when you want a new phone LOL, you can learn a lot on how to make your phone faster, better battery life if you visit this link Droid 2 Roms, i would recommend you check out the cyanogenmod D2 ;), and the App killer thing i don't bite it must be something verizon told you, they do help to kill apps you are not using but the Droid 2 global has an integrated app killer manager so how would they put something in your phone that can hurt it?

Last edited:
OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I'm happy you received the replacement phones today.I would recommend NOT re-installing any Anti Virus or Adavanced Task Killer apps as they can adversely affect the phone.Get in the habit of clearing cache when/if your phone starts to get sluggish.Also, the way to tell if there is an app that is causing the phone to misbehave is to put it in Safe Mode...........

No Antivirus or Advance Task Killer on the phones
Have a program (1Tap) to clear the cache
Haven't tried Safe Mode; how does one select the Safe Mode?

This morning, I had an upgrade for GoSMS Pro. When I read the reviews, many were complaining that GoSMS Pro caused their CALLS to go to speakerphone. I was having that same issue randomly on one of the refurbished D2s. So I deleted the app, and restarted the phone, and set up the native texting app. Since GoSMS Pro also has access to unlock the screen and show incoming text messages, I wondered if that had anything to do with the screen freezes on the original D2s. Time will tell how the phones fare without GoSMS Pro.

Thanks for your advice.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No Antivirus or Advance Task Killer on the phones
Have a program (1Tap) to clear the cache
Haven't tried Safe Mode; how does one select the Safe Mode?

This morning, I had an upgrade for GoSMS Pro. When I read the reviews, many were complaining that GoSMS Pro caused their CALLS to go to speakerphone. I was having that same issue randomly on one of the refurbished D2s. So I deleted the app, and restarted the phone, and set up the native texting app. Since GoSMS Pro also has access to unlock the screen and show incoming text messages, I wondered if that had anything to do with the screen freezes on the original D2s. Time will tell how the phones fare without GoSMS Pro.

Thanks for your advice.

You can't use a good cache app unless you're rooted.

OP
Lenagainster

Lenagainster

Reaction score
You can't use a good cache app unless you're rooted.

Keeping It Simple, Secure, Manageable; Your Advice, Rooting, Seems Excessive.
Trying to determine what may be causing the screen freezes and speakerphone glitch.
Rooting would add another layer of uncertainty, and risk my warranty.
UPDATE: 9/3/11 After the GB update, I took a further step to keep our D2s smooth and uninstalled all the apps from the Amazon Appstore as well as the Amazon Appstore app. Didn't like the idea that none of those "free" apps from Amazon would work without being signed in to Amazon. There was only one app that I had to subsequently buy from the Market (Ledgerist, $1.99). Phones have been running great with no freezing so far.

Last edited: