Verizon Changes Data Plans again

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-dataplans-11.jpg

Engadget is reporting that Verizon is once again tweaking their 3G data plans, and this time it looks like it is in preparation for upcoming as-of-yet unannounced 4G LTE data plans. The $15/150MB per month for smartphones is no longer on the menu, leaving the unlimited data for $29.99 a month as the only option. Meanwhile, for $10 per month feature phone users can get 75MB of data, with a $10 overage charge scoring 75MB more if you happen to go over. The interesting thing in the fine print is that they specifically call out Feature Phones and 3G Devices. Does this mean we will have special pricing for 4G? If history is any indication, we may be paying more for LTE services.

By: pbrauer
Source: Android Tablet Forum via Engadget.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
"Data package of $29.99 or higher required for smartphones"

What do these "or higher" 3g plans consist of, and where can i find information on them? :snicker:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Is it possible that enough smartphone users switched to the 150mb plan that they had to get rid of it because of all the money they lost? I'm almost always on WiFi and unless I stream Slacker or Pandora I never use over a few hundred mb. I almost went with the 150mb plan but decided it wasn't worth the effort to try to watch my data usage.

Now I'd love the feature phone package for my Droid :p that's still a 2GB/month thing.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
this is ridiculous the prices that they try to charge. The point is to try and make buying a smart phone financially justifiable. I am a hog so I can justify spending 30 a month, but 75 megabytes for 10 dollars? If you use 225 megabytes your looking at the same price as the unlimited anyway. It's completely ridiculous

CoFoltman84

Reaction score
this is ridiculous the prices that they try to charge. The point is to try and make buying a smart phone financially justifiable. I am a hog so I can justify spending 30 a month, but 75 megabytes for 10 dollars? If you use 225 megabytes your looking at the same price as the unlimited anyway. It's completely ridiculous

While it is ridiculous, some people don't use 75mb a month...It makes you ask why they even have a smart phone if they aren't going to use it as such.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

While it is ridiculous, some people don't use 75mb a month...It makes you ask why they even have a smart phone if they aren't going to use it as such.

WiFi my friend, at least for my wife who just got a smart phone this past Saturday. She can use both WiFi at work and at home so we don't even have to work about data usage.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

WiFi my friend, at least for my wife who just got a smart phone this past Saturday. She can use both WiFi at work and at home so we don't even have to work about data usage.

ditto...i am on wifi probably 99.9% of the day...only time i'm not is the drive from home to work and vice versa haha

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
They must obviously be doing this because so many people have downgraded to the 150mb plan, knowing that if they go over it will only cost them another $15 per block. I would do that if I knew there was a small chance that I'd go over 150mb, I'll get that plan and for the occasional time that I do go over I'd pay the extra $15.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on this situation described below.

My father-in-law got his first smartphone for Xmas and is the on the unlimited plan because it was apart of the promotion of smartphones talk for free where they waive the $9.99 additional line fee for the new smartphone line.

Instead of the usually $39.99 plus taxes, we pay $29.99 plus taxes for the line.

He doesn't use much data because he is on WiFi at the house all the time, so far he has used 64mb with 5 days left in the billing cycle.

I can waive my current smartphones talk for free promotion thereby reactivating the $9.99 additional line fee and drop him down to the $15 data plan and spend $24.99 for his line until I decide to alter his plan.

But my initial thinking convince me to pay the extra $5 bucks for unlimited data. However the promotion ends 2 years from the start of his new contract jacking the cost back up to $39.99.

What would you guys do?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Right now I'm leaning towards what I stated in post #10 because he can't use his phone at work, he might on occasion use his phone during his commute between work and home and on the weekend sometimes when driving around town.

electric6

Reaction score
I'm sorry buy 40 bucks a month is ridiculous for data. I'm paying that same amount for Internet at 15mbps in my apartment. 4g isn't going to be in my area for like a million years, so for me it's just not worth it. Lol I'll stick with getting a streak 2, and wait till next year to switch.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry buy 40 bucks a month is ridiculous for data. I'm paying that same amount for Internet at 15mbps in my apartment. 4g isn't going to be in my area for like a million years, so for me it's just not worth it. Lol I'll stick with getting a streak 2, and wait till next year to switch.

i tend to agree...i cant imagine paying $40/month for mobile data, especially when LTE is not even going to be everywhere for another 2 years. 3g is plenty fast for me, i've never used my mobile browser and thought "ugh wish this was 10-12 times faster!"

but that being said, i'm sure plenty will get it and it'll serve them well, and i'll eventually get it, i'm sure. but definitely not going to be an early adopter to this one unless the plans stay the same.

has it been confirmed that if you have a 4g phone you have to get a 4g plan?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Of course they are going to charge more for 4G - the question is how much more ?