Verizon CFO Says Verizon Will Finish 4G LTE Rollout by End of 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon_LTEPower.png

Today, at the Wells Fargo Securities Technology, Media, and Telecom Conference in New York City, Verizon's CFO, Fran Shammo, shared that Big Red's 4G LTE infrastructure will be finished with its rollout by the end of 2013. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Though Verizon had some issues with its LTE launch at the start, including the great service blackout of 2011, Shammo touted Verizon's reliability, citing the fact that Verizon's $3.9 billion buyout of nationwide AWS spectrum will give it an edge for at least five years. He added that Verizon will continue to look for opportunities to increase its spectrum in order to match demand, as about 250 million people utilize Verizon's LTE network, and the company hopes to increase that to at least 260 million by the end of the year. Verizon's LTE coverage should match the current 3G CMDA spread by the end of 2013.

Despite the company's push to increase its spectrum, Shammo mentioned that it will not be consolidating with other carriers or smaller competitors because that's not something that's likely to be approved by regulators.

Source: ArsTechnica

geoff5093

Reaction score
Great news! It would be even better if they provided a timeline of when certain areas should expect to see LTE.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Just got 4g lte on in south central Illinois! Finally will be enjoying the benefits w/o having to go to St.Louis! Yay!

TAG YOUR IT! DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. :)

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I'm getting 4g 95% of the time here on the weirton hilltops. Haven't checked downtown yet. Hopefully this means they will be launching 4g full-time here soon.

mykl376

Reaction score
Does that mean basically everywhere that now has 3G will be upgraded to 4G by that time? Where I live and work right now are both on the fringe. If I don't lock my phone to 3G, it switches back and forth all day, turning my extended battery into a 'normal' battery! This is in the Gainesville FL/Alachua county area.

ecbranch5

Reaction score
mykl376 said:
Does that mean basically everywhere that now has 3G will be upgraded to 4G by that time? Where I live and work right now are both on the fringe. If I don't lock my phone to 3G, it switches back and forth all day, turning my extended battery into a 'normal' battery! This is in the Gainesville FL/Alachua county area.

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm in the sticks in South Georgia.

geoff5093

Reaction score

From the first post:

" Verizon's LTE coverage should match the current 3G CMDA spread by the end of 2013."

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Is there a way/map to see if I would get LTE at home when I upgrade in a month or so? I know the "metro" market has 4G LTE, but I live in a slightly rural area in a "suburb." I am with in the city limits technically(or at least I would think so), but it's not a big suburb. Up until now I had no doubt I would see 4G at home at the time of my upgrade as I was less then a mile from the only official VZW retail store in the metro area(few "VZW Zone" third party retailers - but the only official store), but I forget that my new home is out in the sticks a bit..

geoff5093

Reaction score
Is there a way/map to see if I would get LTE at home when I upgrade in a month or so? I know the "metro" market has 4G LTE, but I live in a slightly rural area in a "suburb." I am with in the city limits technically(or at least I would think so), but it's not a big suburb. Up until now I had no doubt I would see 4G at home at the time of my upgrade as I was less then a mile from the only official VZW retail store in the metro area(few "VZW Zone" third party retailers - but the only official store), but I forget that my new home is out in the sticks a bit..
Yes, every carrier has a coverage map showing estimated coverage.

N4UPD

Reaction score
I didn't see anything like you mentioned to input my address. I did find this however: Verizon Wireless - Explore Whixh is exactly what I was looking for.
I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I should have mentioned when you went to the link to click on coverage then you would have found the place to put your address. Sorry about that but you did find it another way. I am right between 2 cities that has 4 g and it even reaches into the southern part of my city but I live in the outskirts and still not covered. Maybe next year if not in the next couple of months.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that VOLTE will be availbe by then or is that something we would have to wait longer for?

I am really curious how the pricing and plans will be when VOLTE is available. Will they get rid of minutes and the plans be all data? Dont really know how VOLTE works.

geoff5093

Reaction score
Does this mean that VOLTE will be availbe by then or is that something we would have to wait longer for?

I am really curious how the pricing and plans will be when VOLTE is available. Will they get rid of minutes and the plans be all data? Dont really know how VOLTE works.
Probably just like what they have now, claim to have unlimited minutes and texts and charge you on how much data you want.