Verizon CFO Says They Will Have a Big Windows Phone Push Later in the Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo11_0.jpg

lumia900cyan.jpg

Verizon's CFO, Fran Shammo, shared that VZW plans to push hard into the market with Windows Phone later on in the year. He said, "we're really looking at the Windows Phone 8.0 platform because that's a differentiator. We're working with Microsoft on it." He further elaborated that Verizon might pour a huge marketing budget into WP like it did with Android in the past, which worked out pretty well for the little green Android. Between a big Verizon marketing campaign and the huge one that Microsoft and Nokia are already pushing, we could actually end up with a strong third smartphone platform competing in the market by the end of this year. Mr. Shammo shared that VZW plans to have WP phones in time for the holiday shopping season this year.

Share your thoughts on this.

If you are interested in finding out more about Windows Phone devices, check out our dedicated site @ Windows Phone Forum :: Windows Phone News.

Source: Reuters

210droid

Reaction score
this is a droid forum

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

nickb34

Reaction score
Throw Intel and x86 into the mix and we may have a true mobile computer in our pocket.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this is a droid forum

Yes, but it is also a Verizon forum, and it is very relevant for Android, because it means increased competition, which can only make Android stronger. :wink-b:

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
this is a droid forum

Your point? I'd say it's pretty big news that Verizon, the largest android carrier, is going to be making a Windows Phone push later this year. This could greatly impact the manufacturers and where they focus their attention. I think the biggest problem with Windows phones has been the lack of a true dominant carrier. AT&T is still dominated by Apple, and Verizon is dominated by Android. It was never really thought that Android would one day rival Apple, but then Verizon came along and changed everything. The same could surely happen for Microsoft and the Windows phones.

Also, as a consumer, I welcome more competition!

silverfang77

Reaction score
Why bother? No one has been buying Windows phones up till now. A marketing campaign won't change that.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if microsoft does this right there will be several people leaving android and apple .. win8 is a big deal

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I almost want to buy into the "hype" of WP because of the hardware on the Lumia.. but the most of the OS is still.. ew.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Why bother? No one has been buying Windows phones up till now. A marketing campaign won't change that.

Your comment is hilarious due to the irony of stating nobody been buying WP's until now...

...And the real-world relationship between the huge marketing campaign occurring right now which is of course....convincing people to buy 'em!!!!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
This is great.

I love the idea of hardware diversity, and it's going to be great having another powerhouse at vzw. Instead of Android and iOS.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I still rather marvel at those that miss the point as to the significance of news regarding other platforms. Windows is a necessary platform, just as iOS and Blackberry is, in the continued development of the Android platform. Without the others, there wouldn't be the pressing need to push the edges of handset development across all platforms. Further, just because a hardware platform is initially for one platform doesn't mean a "version" of that hardware won't trickle down through development to the other platforms.

So basically, this news is on an Android forum because it is important to all platforms.

BigZig

Reaction score
I agree this is news but i have not liked the WP OS so far but mabe Win 8 will be difffernet.... but i will not get my hopes up.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I agree this is news but i have not liked the WP OS so far but maybe Win 8 will be difffernet.... but i will not get my hopes up.

Completely agree. They seem to get close to really good and drop the ball most every time. I think this is also the problem with app creators not really jumping onboard with development as much as iOS and Android. But I definitely don't want to see them go away. The less players in the game, the less development.