Verizon "Certified Refurbished" GARBAGE!!!

Reaction score
So after almost 8 months of flawless use out of my DroidX everything comes to a halt one morning after an update (Gingerbread push about a month back). Since that time the phone has been a complete nightmare. Locking up, losing photos and videos and for some strange reason the speaker phone volume was cut. I followed everyone's advice and reset the phone a handful of times only to experience the same issues.

Last Thursday I called VerizonWireless and spoke to a tech who immediately sent out a "certified refurbished" X stating there was nothing he could do for me on my original. Friday the phone arrives and upon power up the entire unit felt like a pocket hand warmer. After a full power cycle I noticed that the battery life was also lasting no longer than 4hrs with most of the apps removed and NO USE (idle phone). I contacted Verizon once more and am now awaiting for another "certified refurbished" model to arrive...

Is anyone else having such issues or did I just get a fluke here?

Thank you for any and all input, I am just completely frustrated.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
there are some duds out there.. the stories are all over the place.
however, the CLNR I got about 3 weeks ago has been working pretty much flawlessly.

hopefully the next one you get will be perfect.

OP
FloridaOccifer
Reaction score
I sincerely hope so...

The greatest attribute to this phone was how flawless everything was (until Gingerbread).

I will find out after work today, hopefully the package will be waiting at my door dancedroid

Beka27

Reaction score
On your original phone, did you try going back to Froyo to see if that fixed the problem?

barski

Reaction score
I got fed up with Verizon Certified Like new joke they pull on everyone. After the 7th or 8th droid X i demanded a Droid X2...what a mistake. So i went out and bought a Droid X with a bad camera button and sent it into Motorola. Haven't had a problem since getting it back. I suggest if you have any other problems just send it to motorola. if you want 2.2 froyo back then just sbf. All droid x's are now shipped with gingerbread 2.3.

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score
In reburish hell

Last Thursday I called VerizonWireless and spoke to a tech who immediately sent out a "certified refurbished" X stating there was nothing he could do for me on my original. Friday the phone arrives and upon power up the entire unit felt like a pocket hand warmer. After a full power cycle I noticed that the battery life was also lasting no longer than 4hrs with most of the apps removed and NO USE (idle phone). I contacted Verizon once more and am now awaiting for another "certified refurbished" model to arrive... Is anyone else having such issues or did I just get a fluke here?[/t QUOTE]

I am having the same problem. I am waiting for the #3 "cerified" Droid 2 Global. I just purchased my phone the end of May. My brand new phone, kept freezing. Conitinous resets did not fix the problem. When it froze, i would take out the battery and then it was fine until the next freeze. I figured this is a brand new phone, I should not be going through this. I get my first "certified" from the moment I got it, it kept shutting off and by the second day, would not come back on at all. I recevied the 2nd one yesterday, first all the letters on the keyboard did not work. I called tech support, they had me to reset the phone and then we discovered the second problem, it did not recognize the SD card. Tech support could not fix it and said they will send me yet another "certified" phone. I am so angry and that's how I found this website. There are lots of posts out there about people on their 4th, 5th, and 6th, certified phone. THIS IS NOT RIGHT!

Last edited:
OP
FloridaOccifer
Reaction score
Well I have confirmation the phone is at my house...

I spoke to one of my friends who works for Verizon corp that is going to remove all the AD software verizon sinks on these phones (not sure what system will be installed) but he said it should eliminate all the issues I am having.

I will let everyone know how this works out...

destes37

Reaction score
I have had some issues in the past with clnr's. Eventually you get lucky with one or the get out another device. Knock on wood, my phone has been ok for a while now.

mack19318

Reaction score
I too have been frusterated at the clnr's I have been sent!
I don't know how some of them get the clnr tag when out of the box I have had issues. On my 5th og droid now, and this one is good cept from the proximity sensor doesn't work at all!
I would love to go out and get new phones every year but I can't afford 600 bucks everytime. But I feel when I buy a phone and am stuck with it for two years everything should work perfect. I shouldn't have to settle for an almost good phone. It sucks that I have to debate weather I want to just deal with the sensor problem just because everything else works good or risk getting a phone with a working sensor but something else is screwed up.
Verizon needs to step up their clnr procedure!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score
Well, I just hung up from talking to them and they gave me a new offer. I can purchase a new phone at a discount for $199.00 and restart my two years. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't I just buy a new phone 3 mos ago? Are you kidding me? Did you think I would jump on that offer? Ok, so now I will purchase 2 expensive phone from you in a 3 month period. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!

I don't know how some of them get the clnr tag when out of the box I have had issues. On my 5th og droid now, and this one is good cept from the proximity sensor doesn't work at all!
I would love to go out and get new phones every year but I can't afford 600 bucks everytime. But I feel when I buy a phone and am stuck with it for two years everything should work perfect. I shouldn't have to settle for an almost good phone. It sucks that I have to debate weather I want to just deal with the sensor problem just because everything else works good or risk getting a phone with a working sensor but something else is screwed up.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I just hung up from talking to them and they gave me a new offer. I can purchase a new phone at a discount for $199.00 and restart my two years. WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't I just buy a new phone 3 mos ago? Are you kidding me? Did you think I would jump on that offer? Ok, so now I will purchase 2 expensive phone from you in a 3 month period. GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK!

That's how the FRU(CLNR) to New program works. It's because you demanded a certain phone. The matrix has the list of what phone(s) are available as a replacement to another device that is close to what you had. A multi-FRU(CLNR) exchange to another phone will be normally a CLNR of what the matrix shows them as the device most like what you have, but not cost you out of pocket.

Rsmin

Reaction score
I hate you are having problems. I have had my replacement about a month now with no problems at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score

That's how the FRU(CLNR) to New program works. It's because you demanded a certain phone. The matrix has the list of what phone(s) are available as a replacement to another device that is close to what you had. A multi-FRU(CLNR) exchange to another phone will be normally a CLNR of what the matrix shows them as the device most like what you have, but not cost you out of pocket.

No, they said I can choose any phone I want for that $199. They have not offered me a new phone only a CLNR. But the point is, why should I purchase a new phone when there was an issue with the new device and now with 2 CLNRs. I really don't get this policy. If I purchase a new television, take it home and it does not work properly, the store will give me another new television. Not a broken television that was returned by a previous customer, repaired, and now be given to me. It is my contention that these CLNR are not "like new" or they would not be having problems as soon as they're received. Someone is falling down on their job in putting these devices back out there for use.

OP
FloridaOccifer
Reaction score
Well I got my "new" replacement X about 2hrs ago. I have loaded all my apps and contacts.

SO FAR - Nothing crazy / Nothing apparent, but then again this is how the last one went until it felt like it was going to burn a hole in my pocket.

Lets see how a night of testing does...

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score
Well I got my "new" replacement X about 2hrs ago. I have loaded all my apps and contacts.

SO FAR - Nothing crazy / Nothing apparent, but then again this is how the last one went until it felt like it was going to burn a hole in my pocket.

Lets see how a night of testing does...

I hope it works out for you. Mine will come tomorrow.