Verizon CEO planning wireless pay-TV, if it can pass government scrutiny

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

How does à la carte integrated wireless pay-TV programming sound to you? Apparently, that is exactly what Verizon is planning, at least according to their CEO. Right now, Verizon is in the process of trying to purchase additional wireless spectrum, and this is what they plan to do with it. "Technically, I think we could have something out that would be the beginnings of an integrated offering in time for the holidays," said Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, referring to a whole new way to get television. This will likely be a joint venture with Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable. Of course, this will only be possible if the DOJ and FCC allow the $3.9 Billion dollar purchase of AWS Spectrum to go through.

What do you guys think? Is this something that you would be interested in trying out?

Source: Engadget
  2. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

This would be a fail if:
    1. You don't have an unlimited plan.
    2. You don't have a consistent 4G connection.

Other than that...I'm down.

P.S. I like how they used the OG Droid to depict the idea. :biggrin:
  3. rjsurfer

rjsurfer New Member

Would they allow an HDMI connection to a big flat screen? I doubt it. They would probably do what they do with the NFL network, prevent that type of usage.

Ron W.
  4. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

Uh, there's this thing called the Google Play store that allows you to rent movies and watch them even on your computer through YouTube... How is this any different, Verizon?
  5. mkhannah

mkhannah New Member

I hate the idea! Just like every other similar product, this is a play for control of content. And ultimately money! Why can't Verizon, AT&T, etc. provide the pipe? Let other companies provide the content. This way they don't have to reserve bandwidth for their "preferred" product (which is their product). Rant cut short...