"Verizon canceling contract for rooted phone" ?'s

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
If the phone won't boot, you can't punch a key combo to get any information.
Not booting = No Functioning OS.
No functioning OS means that you can't get to the internal files system even with a special cable because the processor can't enumerate the USB bus.
A bricked phone is just that, bricked, dead, .......

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I worked for VZW from 2006-2009. I can tell you in the time I worked for VZW, in a CS role and tech support situations, there was not a 4 digit combination, nor was there any other secret code combination that would tell you the history of the phone. The only thing that would come close would be the programming menu, which really is no secret. Most of what your cousin said is correct, except for the part about the history of the phone.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
I worked for VZW from 2006-2009. I can tell you in the time I worked for VZW, in a CS role and tech support situations, there was not a 4 digit combination, nor was there any other secret code combination that would tell you the history of the phone. The only thing that would come close would be the programming menu, which really is no secret. Most of what your cousin said is correct, except for the part about the history of the phone.

Let's be fair, from 06-09 I see no reason for Verizon to have such a feature. Android is only a few years old and it was only in late 09 when the og Droid came out that a need for such a feature would arise.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

wolstonc

Reaction score
I used to work for vzw customer service. Gf worked in tech support but I knew much more than her. Rooting voids the warranty, that's common knowledge among reps. But from what I've heard is that they have a method of "booting up" bricked phones and if it has been rooted it won't boot and the screen will just show a big cancel sign, the O with a line through it. Also if you ever tell customer service you've rooted or reveal a feature or problem that occurs with rooting then we have to note it in your account where it stays forever (since some people can get the insurance that extends the warranty indefinitely)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Anyone have an old smartphone laying around? If so, soft brick it and head to VZW to see if this Da Vinci Phone Code exists!

bhp117

Reaction score
Well I know Verizon have a custom software in stores to check for your phone history only having it plug into a computer with usb

A few months back when I still have a LG Revolution I somewhat screwed up the phone to a point it can't download/install any apps, it'll fc every 10mins, usb connection is very flaky sometimes work most time doesn't

Lucky enough I can restore it back to factory settings and remove root but still have all issues mentioned above so I brought it to a verizon store

The tech 1st asked what's wrong so I told him all issues happened a ota
He then factory reset to see if it solve any issues but it didn't

Then he plugged it into a computer and I'd thought I was screwed but apparently all history was wiped when I did full wipe of the phone 2x including wiping data/system/emc/sdcard/cache/dalvik before I restore it myself

So after he saw nothing suspicious he then declare it certified and sent me a refurbished within 3 days

So with this experience I'll only root if there's a full recovery just incase if I screw anything up

coogi97

Reaction score
When I rooted my droid bionic and bricked it I took it to verizon. He played with the volume keys and power button and got into the menu but they didn't kno it had been rooted or bricked till they googled the code when u brick your device. All they told me was they couldn't do anything about it and that was it

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
When I rooted my droid bionic and bricked it I took it to verizon. He played with the volume keys and power button and got into the menu but they didn't kno it had been rooted or bricked till they googled the code when u brick your device. All they told me was they couldn't do anything about it and that was it

That's exactly how he explained it to me. Kinda like a computer diagnostic on a car. I know the power button, volume keys and either the menu or home button was used. I've tried these combo's but can't get it to work. If my cousin wasn't being a Dick and would call me back I'd let you know. Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

SniperDroid

Reaction score
This pretty much stands to reason. Why on earth would Verizon, or any other carrier give you your money back? So then, why would they cancel your contract?
I pay them between one-forty and one-sixty a month, and they would throw that away because I was a bad boy? NOT!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
That's exactly how he explained it to me. Kinda like a computer diagnostic on a car. I know the power button, volume keys and either the menu or home button was used. I've tried these combo's but can't get it to work. If my cousin wasn't being a Dick and would call me back I'd let you know. Lol

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but I know using the volume keys and the power button to start boots it in safe mode or whatever, which lets you view a lot of system information. So maybe he was referring to using this for problem phones in general, not necessarily "bricked" phones, but just used the term "bricked" to keep it short and sweet.

And you know, I have asked twice now, specifically face to face at a VZ store at the tech desk if there is any sort of "plug or machine or computer" that you can hook a phone into to help diagnose problems or find an OTA. Each time they looked at me and basically laughed and said "no, I've never heard of anything like that and there's no way to do it."

Droidxskywalker

Reaction score
My Mum's X was bricked after she updated to Gingerbread, which she was freaking out, until I did an SBF back to Froyo, and then deleted her task killer and then I was able to update it successfully. We found out that it was her task killer that caused her X to brick

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Ok, just got off the phone with my cousin. The button combo he was talking about was to set the phone up to flash, which we already knew. I'm guessing to put it into fastboot. The system that they tether the phone to to flash is called "code blue". Basically once the phone is connected, bricked our not, this "code blue" system runs them through a series of steps before flashing the system. The final step will bring up these numeric "error codes" that I was talking about. The tech then has to cross reference the codes with they're definitions to find out what happened to the phone. This is how they find out if you rooted or not, if it's the right system version bla bla bla... Now for the good news. Apparently they are phasing this "code blue" system out and going with "the customer is always right" mentality. He says this method of finding out what is wrong with the phone is becoming old school and most times you go into Verizon, the tech won't even look at the code page and just flash the phone. He said that they are not even training new employee's on this system anymore. This definitely goes along the lines of what was said earlier about Verizon caring more about your monthly bill then spanking the hackers. Bottom line of the conversation was that it boils down to what tech you get, whether or not they will either fix your phone or send you packing.

lizard

Reaction score
Q: What do you get when you cross a Verizon rep with The Godfather?

A: You get an offer you can't understand!

Sorry;)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums