1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"Verizon canceling contract for rooted phone" ?'s

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by cthebadge38, Jan 7, 2012.

1. cthebadge38

cthebadge38 New Member

Just a little insight for those that think Verizon will cancel your contract if they find out your rooted. My cousin has worked for Verizon for almost 6 years now in three different stores in upstate N.Y. and now in Maine. He told me that people are constantly bringing their phones in rooted and looking for help when they brick them. He told me that he can push a combination of buttons when turning on your phone that will show him a history of what you have done to your phone. He said in 6 years he has never seen anyone's contract canceled after being rooted, nor has he ever heard of it. The only thing that they do is tell you to go pound salt if you bring a bricked, rooted phone to them and expect a replacement. Flashing the original system back onto your phone will also erase the history that they are able to check. So...I guess point being, as long as you can bring your phone out of a brick, then your safe...and even if you can't, the worst you are looking at is shopping for a new phone, not a new carrier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

2. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

Maybe I missed something. Is there some rampant rumor that this is happening, and you're trying to set everyone at ease? If I haven't missed something, it seems that you're raising and answering the question all at once.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Lol. So your telling me if you brick your phone and you have the knowledge of all the best devs on these forums who can't wake it back up, so vzw tech can punch a few keys and tell you that you rooted it and you are screwed?

I highly doubt this. My guess is that when the customer brings a bricked phone in, they some how slip and say they rooted it or tried to do something and than that is when they Verizon rep says too bad.

A bricked phone is a bricked phone. Some tech isn't going to be able to do anything to prove that you messed with it.

And also, as far as I know there is nothing is Verizon's warranty stating rooting/unlocking the boot loader voids your warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums
  4. cthebadge38

cthebadge38 New Member

Sorry brother, you must know more than me. Just putting it out there because it came from a reliable source. I've found two threads asking questions about this so I thought I would share what my cousin had told me over Christmas. Apparently, whatever combination of buttons they use brings up a number code that shows the rep what the problem is with the phone. My cousin said that he has handed many phones back to customers and told them they can try their insurance company but Verizon wont cover it. I will ask my cousin the button combo he's talking about. It is kind of strange the dev's haven't found this yet if it's true. I will post it when I find out.
  5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Yeah I could be mistaken, but I've never heard of such a thing. If the phone is bricked no one can do anything so I just don't see how its possible for a tech to punch a few keys and bring up info. I feel like if this was some secret code it would be leaked.

Interested in what your cousin has to say about this though. Keep us posted.

I am by no means a dev, so I can be entity off base with my logic.

6. nateohio

nateohio New Member

I think someone might have been blowing smoke up somewhere.

Is he one of those guys that likes to make himself sound more intelligent or important than he really is?

7. cthebadge38

cthebadge38 New Member

Wow, so much for trying to help. You guys are ruthless on here lol Only posted what I was told by a Verizon rep who happens to be my cousin. Not claiming to be a genius. Just simply sharing information that was relayed to me by someone I trust. Believe it if you want or chuck it. Really don't care. I seen this question come up several times on here and asked my cousin about it to try to help. I'll post the button combination when he answers me back. Thanks for the love lol

2 people like this.
  8. welsalex

welsalex New Member

Whats the combo of keys? On device or there computer system? Ask your contact for that info in detail. Pix or it didnt happen lol

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums
  9. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Thanks for the info Cthebadge38.
  10. HavoC

HavoC New Member

thanks for the info, nice to hear confirmation of stuff I already believed/thought was true. that is interesting about the key combo or w/e that shows the history tho, maybe if it leaks it could lead to something more significant like a loophole to unlock a bootloader (unlikely, I know lol).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  11. cthebadge38

cthebadge38 New Member

Your welcome Batman8 and thanks for not joining the lynching mob yet. lol I'm working on it guys. I text my cousin earlier and he hasn't text back yet. Probably bc it's going on 2:30 am. I will let you know what I find out as soon as I find out. Not sure if he wants to divulge that info but he owes me for helping him get out of a speeding ticket lol If it turns out to be false, I apologize guys. I have always been able to bring my phone out of a brick so I've never had to try this. His exact words were when he pushed a set of (I believe 4 buttons at once) it brought up a numeric code that only the Verizon techs would obviously know the meaning to, showing what the issue with the phone was. I promise I will post it as soon as I talk to him. If he didn't live two states away I'd have him show me.

12. ChevyNexus

ChevyNexus New Member

:icon_ nono:
  13. metalspring

metalspring New Member

I dont know about key combinations themselves but im pretty sure that some/most? (i know the OG droid did) phones have a manufacturer "super" usb cable that allows you basically unlimited access so its possible that when using one of those cables a certain button combination can bring up all kinds of info

I've heard some saying that something in the TOS might apply to rooting and unlocking

14. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule New Member

There is the Bionic test mode:

Go into the phone dial pad and press: ##7764726 for the programming menu. Don't think it has any type of OS historical data though.
  15. bbtkd

bbtkd Member

I'd be real surprised if there was one code or key sequence that would work across all brands and models that VZW sells. That would be expecting too much as far as vendor cooperation...
  16. tech_head

tech_head New Member

If the phone won't boot, you can't punch a key combo to get any information.
    Not booting = No Functioning OS.
    No functioning OS means that you can't get to the internal files system even with a special cable because the processor can't enumerate the USB bus.
    A bricked phone is just that, bricked, dead, .......
  17. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I worked for VZW from 2006-2009. I can tell you in the time I worked for VZW, in a CS role and tech support situations, there was not a 4 digit combination, nor was there any other secret code combination that would tell you the history of the phone. The only thing that would come close would be the programming menu, which really is no secret. Most of what your cousin said is correct, except for the part about the history of the phone.
  18. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Let's be fair, from 06-09 I see no reason for Verizon to have such a feature. Android is only a few years old and it was only in late 09 when the og Droid came out that a need for such a feature would arise.

19. wolstonc

wolstonc New Member

I used to work for vzw customer service. Gf worked in tech support but I knew much more than her. Rooting voids the warranty, that's common knowledge among reps. But from what I've heard is that they have a method of "booting up" bricked phones and if it has been rooted it won't boot and the screen will just show a big cancel sign, the O with a line through it. Also if you ever tell customer service you've rooted or reveal a feature or problem that occurs with rooting then we have to note it in your account where it stays forever (since some people can get the insurance that extends the warranty indefinitely)

20. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

Anyone have an old smartphone laying around? If so, soft brick it and head to VZW to see if this Da Vinci Phone Code exists!