"Verizon canceling contract for rooted phone" ?'s

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Just a little insight for those that think Verizon will cancel your contract if they find out your rooted. My cousin has worked for Verizon for almost 6 years now in three different stores in upstate N.Y. and now in Maine. He told me that people are constantly bringing their phones in rooted and looking for help when they brick them. He told me that he can push a combination of buttons when turning on your phone that will show him a history of what you have done to your phone. He said in 6 years he has never seen anyone's contract canceled after being rooted, nor has he ever heard of it. The only thing that they do is tell you to go pound salt if you bring a bricked, rooted phone to them and expect a replacement. Flashing the original system back onto your phone will also erase the history that they are able to check. So...I guess point being, as long as you can bring your phone out of a brick, then your safe...and even if you can't, the worst you are looking at is shopping for a new phone, not a new carrier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
Maybe I missed something. Is there some rampant rumor that this is happening, and you're trying to set everyone at ease? If I haven't missed something, it seems that you're raising and answering the question all at once.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Lol. So your telling me if you brick your phone and you have the knowledge of all the best devs on these forums who can't wake it back up, so vzw tech can punch a few keys and tell you that you rooted it and you are screwed?

I highly doubt this. My guess is that when the customer brings a bricked phone in, they some how slip and say they rooted it or tried to do something and than that is when they Verizon rep says too bad.

A bricked phone is a bricked phone. Some tech isn't going to be able to do anything to prove that you messed with it.

And also, as far as I know there is nothing is Verizon's warranty stating rooting/unlocking the boot loader voids your warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Sorry brother, you must know more than me. Just putting it out there because it came from a reliable source. I've found two threads asking questions about this so I thought I would share what my cousin had told me over Christmas. Apparently, whatever combination of buttons they use brings up a number code that shows the rep what the problem is with the phone. My cousin said that he has handed many phones back to customers and told them they can try their insurance company but Verizon wont cover it. I will ask my cousin the button combo he's talking about. It is kind of strange the dev's haven't found this yet if it's true. I will post it when I find out.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Yeah I could be mistaken, but I've never heard of such a thing. If the phone is bricked no one can do anything so I just don't see how its possible for a tech to punch a few keys and bring up info. I feel like if this was some secret code it would be leaked.

Interested in what your cousin has to say about this though. Keep us posted.

I am by no means a dev, so I can be entity off base with my logic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

nateohio

Reaction score
I think someone might have been blowing smoke up somewhere.

Is he one of those guys that likes to make himself sound more intelligent or important than he really is?

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Wow, so much for trying to help. You guys are ruthless on here lol Only posted what I was told by a Verizon rep who happens to be my cousin. Not claiming to be a genius. Just simply sharing information that was relayed to me by someone I trust. Believe it if you want or chuck it. Really don't care. I seen this question come up several times on here and asked my cousin about it to try to help. I'll post the button combination when he answers me back. Thanks for the love lol

welsalex

Reaction score
Whats the combo of keys? On device or there computer system? Ask your contact for that info in detail. Pix or it didnt happen lol

Sent from my Droid BIONIC via DroidForums

HavoC

Reaction score
thanks for the info, nice to hear confirmation of stuff I already believed/thought was true. that is interesting about the key combo or w/e that shows the history tho, maybe if it leaks it could lead to something more significant like a loophole to unlock a bootloader (unlikely, I know lol).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Your welcome Batman8 and thanks for not joining the lynching mob yet. lol I'm working on it guys. I text my cousin earlier and he hasn't text back yet. Probably bc it's going on 2:30 am. I will let you know what I find out as soon as I find out. Not sure if he wants to divulge that info but he owes me for helping him get out of a speeding ticket lol If it turns out to be false, I apologize guys. I have always been able to bring my phone out of a brick so I've never had to try this. His exact words were when he pushed a set of (I believe 4 buttons at once) it brought up a numeric code that only the Verizon techs would obviously know the meaning to, showing what the issue with the phone was. I promise I will post it as soon as I talk to him. If he didn't live two states away I'd have him show me.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol. So your telling me if you brick your phone and you have the knowledge of all the best devs on these forums who can't wake it back up, so vzw tech can punch a few keys and tell you that you rooted it and you are screwed?

I highly doubt this. My guess is that when the customer brings a bricked phone in, they some how slip and say they rooted it or tried to do something and than that is when they Verizon rep says too bad.

A bricked phone is a bricked phone. Some tech isn't going to be able to do anything to prove that you messed with it.
I dont know about key combinations themselves but im pretty sure that some/most? (i know the OG droid did) phones have a manufacturer "super" usb cable that allows you basically unlimited access so its possible that when using one of those cables a certain button combination can bring up all kinds of info

And also, as far as I know there is nothing is Verizon's warranty stating rooting/unlocking the boot loader voids your warranty.
I've heard some saying that something in the TOS might apply to rooting and unlocking

What Are Verizon Wireless' Rights to Limit or End Service or End this Agreement?
We can, without notice, limit, suspend or end your Service or any agreement with you for any good cause, including, but not limited to: (1) if you: (a) breach this agreement; (b) resell your Service; (c) use your Service for any illegal purpose, including use that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions promulgated by any U.S. governmental agency; (d) install, deploy or use any regeneration equipment or similar mechanism (for example, a repeater) to originate, amplify, enhance, retransmit or regenerate an RF signal without our permission; (e) steal from or lie to us; or, if you're a Postpay customer, (f) do not pay your bill on time; (g) incur charges larger than a required deposit or billing limit, or materially in excess of your monthly access charges (even if we haven't yet billed the charges); (h) provide credit information we can't verify; or (i) are unable to pay us or go bankrupt; or (2) if you, any user of your device or any line of service on your account, or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. We can also temporarily limit your Service for any operational or governmental reason.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
There is the Bionic test mode:

Go into the phone dial pad and press: ##7764726 for the programming menu. Don't think it has any type of OS historical data though.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I'd be real surprised if there was one code or key sequence that would work across all brands and models that VZW sells. That would be expecting too much as far as vendor cooperation...