Verizon cancel your account for "excessive data usage"?

jessesmith121

Reaction score
Just like the title says.. I use over 100gb a month.. A rep told me that If I continue at this rate Verizon will send me a letter stating that I have 30 days to port my number to another carrier. Can anyone comfirm this? I have the unlimited plan with unlimited tethering... Has anyone had their account cancelled for data useage? Not rumors I mean actually have personal knowledge of this happening... Thanks

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Id port my number right over to SPRINT!!!!!

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
While it hasnt happened to me i have heard of them doing this with their Fios Product.. (residental internet)

Caesars

Reaction score
This would be an easy way out of my contract, going to try next month.

Return of the Android

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Did a rep call you and say this or did you call them about something?

OP
J

jessesmith121

Reaction score
I was in the store paying a bill... I had a question on my bill.. the rep ran a "account analysis" and then informed me of the above information.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I say ignore it.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Unlimited is unlimited and if it isn't you have them for false advertisement

Sent from a Droid2 Using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have unlimited also. But people like you are why we are left with $30 for 2gig plans on our next upgrade, when we didn't abuse the system at 10++ times any normal rate. I hope they bounce you

OP
J

jessesmith121

Reaction score
Hey no reason to be a Jerk.... I pay full retail for devices.. so I can keep my unlimited.. you could have too.... Also its not people like me that caused the issues.. Its Apple with all of their fees.. Verizon loses about $430 on each Iphone they sell.. $30 upgrade fee.. the end of unlimited all the result of Apple and their quest to own the wireless industry. No one made you give up unlimited.. You could of payed full retail or provided your own equipment.. That was your choice...

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Let's keep it civil in here folks and watch the language. Thanks in advance everyone :)

"Don't Panic!"
Tapatalk 2_GNEX

1person

Reaction score
Sounds to me as if the rep was just shocked, and talking BS thinking they know it all. I see very few people that go over a Gig. I saw 31 gigs usage a few weeks ago. My advice then, and to you: don't upgrade. Seems you figured out the system. 2 questions, though. 1) what the heck are you doing to use that much. 2) why not connect to wifi for faster browsing? Personally, I'm connected all the time, and use roughly 20% of a gig, granted I'm hooked to wifi as much as possible. To answer your question; I get cussed/cursed out/called everything, but a human being at least once a day. Not once has it been a customer getting the ax for too much usage. New one for me.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
why not connect to wifi for faster browsing?

Personally, I don't have unlimited internet at home. 500MB/day. I have unlimited data on my Verizon phone. So, why WOULD I connect to WiFi all the time at home? Especially since I have higher ping and lag rates via my satellite (at $100/month) and faster bulk data transfer rates than I do on my phone.

Also, Verizon doesn't "lose" money on iPhone sales. They make it up in data fees. If you want to blame anyone, blame Verizon who is currently slurping in cash hand-over-fist with the shared plans AND are developing a mobile video service to gulp even MORE data/money.

Verizon CFO: 'Unlimited' data is just a word ? The Register

Verizon plans bandwidth-gobbling mobile video service ? The Register

Check the dates and you'll see how far-reaching this money grab has been. Also, this is from 2007 when the NYS AG slammed Verizon for limiting its unlimited plan at 5GB. http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/press-releases/archived/Verizon Wireless AOD.pdf

Can you see how LONG Verizon's been trying to kill the unlimited plans?

1person

Reaction score
Makes sense to me why you wouldn't hook into wifi, in that case. I don't have unlimited data, now. (Long boring story) When I did have unlimited I still hooked up to wifi because the browsing was faster on Fios. But yeah, if you have it, and it's the best you have, use it.