1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon can remotley brick??

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by albel333, Jul 16, 2010.

1. albel333

albel333 New Member

I was in Verizon yesterday and started talking to one of the reps (don't know how credible they are) and he told me That he wont b rooting his incredible because Verizon can tell when u tether ur phone..and they have the ability to ota brick ur phone if u do..now I don't think that is very ethical so if it is true I will b leaving big redand maybe get the evo or nexus. But I just wanted to ask u guys if this is true first before I do anything to drastic ;-).

Thanks
  2. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

LOL! Remotely brick! LOL! If they ever did that to anyone I could see corporate stores and Verizon HQ being burned to the ground. Literally.
  3. 06LTNox

06LTNox New Member

Here is my .02, as long as I don't go over 2gb of total data usage a month then who cares.

I plan on tethering my phone for a few reasons, guide updates for my BeyondTV dvr and updating my blu-ray players. Nothing at all that will consume any meaningful bandwidth. Hell I could probably send more data in a picture text then what my guide data download would pull.
  4. albel333

albel333 New Member

I know. I asked him how the hell they could tell the difference ecause I'm always on the internet anyway. I just wouldn't surprise me really being That they are trying to charge for tethering now
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

They said that to scare you. It has never happened and likely won't ever happen because you own the phone. They can cancel your contract or charge you extra if they find out you're tethering, but they certainly are not allowed to remotely brick it. That rep is a complete douche.
  6. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

How u keep up w/ how much data u use??? I use wireless tether & since chevy's SS4.4 usb tether doesn't take u to the verizon pay me screen I've been using more usb tether than wifi, so what's a way I can montior my data usage? ....& isn't it possible 4 sum1 who's not tethering to have a high data usage & look like they're tethering???

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I would think there would be great lawsuits involved if they could just 'kill' your phone. I mean what if your out and need to make an emergency call, thats happened to me a lot. If found that they killed my phone I would grab myself a lawyer hah...
  8. albel333

albel333 New Member

Yea I was pissed when he told me That. Especially after the whole efuse discussion on the x and that it is actually on the Droid tpo
  9. Nerotoxen

Nerotoxen New Member

I ran over 6 gig's from my phone alone. Not a meg was used for tethering. Just lots of pandora/slacker/internet. I download lots of my roms from my phone itself. I haven't received anything from the big V telling me to stop this or stop that. I don't consider myself an "abuser" either. So basically what I'm sayin' is I'm not sure how they go about telling the difference?
  10. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

I run like 15GB/mo. and have been for quite awhile.
    I have ZERO issues. Lets not turn this into a "can they tell" discussion. Those have been rehashed so many times people are sick of it.

As far as remotely bricking I would find that to be borderline criminal probably. You OWN your phone. Worst case they fine you and kick you off their network.
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Screw the lawyer I would grab some empty bottles a few rags and a 5 gallon can of gas.
  12. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

A lawyer might be better, unless you want a cell of your own.
  13. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Yeah... not enough and too much to leave to chance. ANFO FTW! dancedroid
  14. viperboy

viperboy New Member

Working for them, I can tell you that Verizon Wireless will not remote kill your phone. Nothing to worry about.
  15. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

The rep was blowing smoke. If they discovered that you were tethering they could bill you for tethering, cancel your contract, or (if you rooted) void your warranty. If they were to intentionally destroy my personal property (the phone I own) by "bricking" it via OTA (which I don't think they can do), then I would soon thereafter own Verizon Wireless (hyperbole, but they'd give me a nice settlement and they'd lose a bunch of business).
  16. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

this. i realize what i do has voided my warranty and they could cancel my service. but that phone is my personal property.

edit: to be clear, i quoted you because i understand your level of frustration. that's not to say i would ACTUALLY burn down a vzw store.. a local store has nothing to do with corporate, and even causing problems at HQ would really do no good. i'm just saying i get it.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  17. ???

??? New Member

going by my verizon app, my data usage for this month, and it doesn't end till the 23rd. is 2512990.14k and thats without any tethering at all. i mean i can do it isn't i'm running 2.2 as well, but i haven't needed to. may do a bit on a trip i have coming up soon if i need to thou.

but yes, you can use over 2gig without really trying and never tethering anything. i'll prob be close to 3gig before the cycle is up.
  18. albel333

albel333 New Member

Sorry. I didn't mean to make another "can they" thread I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't true before I left Verizon for it
  19. xeudoxus

xeudoxus Professor X Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Using the tethering built into the 2.2 (from my tests) they can track that. so they will know as soon as you start tethering (Tethering data is redirected, so they can track regular data and tethering data). now as far as bricking you phone.... :/
  20. Webst3r

Webst3r New Member

I highly, highly, doubt they would brick a phone because you tether. Yeah they might charge you an extra fee, or even cut your contract, but never brick it. I also believe it would be impossible for them to brick you phone, because it pretty much impossible to delete, anything vital without root access. I may be wrong, but you would have to have root access, and then have them find a way to install an app, and then go around deleting everything, And they won't brick a phone because you roooted it.
Search tags for this page

can verizon brick a phone?

verizon remote brick android

will verizon brick