Verizon blocking tether

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by judgedeath2, Nov 13, 2010.

1. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 New Member

So, my Droid X has been rooted for a little over a month now, and no problem using wifi tether, etc...until recently. For the past week or so, my tether connection has been terrible, whether wifi or USB. I could connect, get to google, etc, no problem, but it would VERY quickly seem to crap out/timeout/disconnect.

This evening, I decided to see if I could dig deeper/get to the bottom of things. Fired up easytether (to rule out wireless issues), got wireshark running, and found some very interesting results:

Open browser, go to google: No problem
    Search query on google: No problem, very fast.
    Click on link from results page: Browser stuck at "waiting for www.domain.com...."
    What's wireshark have to say? DNS query for the site went fine, but when I try to establish a connection to the site's IP, ICMP comes back with:

Destination unreachable (administratively prohibited)

This is the same case for multiple sites that I know are running fine. Am I crazy or is this indicative of Verizon blocking me?

edit: I realize that Verizon does 'throttle' users after 5 GB, bit I just checked and I'm only at 3.3 GB...
  2. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

so you are crazy?
  3. techguru

techguru Member

Verizon does not throttle after 5gig. That is Tmobile.

Alan
  4. pdc419

pdc419 Member

I just read a couple articles about that. Verizon does after 5, i think t mobile is actually less

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  5. techguru

techguru Member

Got any links? I can guarantee that is not correct.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App
  6. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Veizon doesn't throttle data. You either have full access or none at all.
  7. gonnadie4thegov

gonnadie4thegov New Member

I used wifi tether just fine on my droid2 last night for about an hour or so.
  8. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Verizon doesn't do that. Tmobile has admitted to doing that. (I've had T-Mobile since 2001 and went to Verizon earlier this year).
  9. Wongway

Wongway New Member

While I don't believe Verizon actively blocks tethering, what I do believe is this... (Note, there is no concrete fact on what I believe. Just what I feel is happening behind the scenes based on circumstantial evidence from a group of observations)

You have unlimited data, HOWEVER, once you break the 5GB barrier, a program/subroutine begins to analyze your data usage to make sure you are still heeding to the letter of the agreement. Which means it will check to see if you are tethering to a computer or other possible ways you may have strayed away from what they allow you to use unlimited data for. If they detect you breaking their agreement in some way, they apply appropriate actions. Either cease and desist, charging your account, throttling, etc.

In any of that, I could be wrong, however, from my observations of posters on various sites, this "seems" to be the case.
  10. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Verizon doesn't block tethering. It sounds like something borked on your phone. Try making sure you have the latest version of the .apk from the link in my sig and seeing if you still have issues. If you do, then I'd say something isn't right on your computer.
  11. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Wongway,

I've known people to use 15+ GB's per month consecutively for months at a time with no issue at all. If you're being a leech, downloading 80+ GB's per month, I could see someone getting a formal notice in the mail.
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Exactly -- or having your account terminated for violating the TOS if they could prove you were tethering.

However, I haven't heard one reputable instance where someone got a warning or termination from Verizon for tethering their Droid.
  13. diannahuijts

diannahuijts New Member

I have Verizon, and I read the terms and conditions pretty thoroughly and they say that they do not allow tethering unless you purchase their mobile broadband...but thing is, their mobile broadband isn't compatible to the Droid. I don't think Verizon can complain about people using other programs to tether, even if free, because they don't offer it to us Droid owners. If they did, I might consider purchasing the plan, but they don't so...

I used to use Easy Tether but that was a difficult program for me, due to it intermittently not wanting to work. I went to PdaNet and the set up was a breeze and I have NEVER had any issues with connecting or using the program to tether my phone to my laptop. Sometimes it is a little slow but then again I think the internet speed on the phone is somewhat slow too so...hope this helps some of you out. = )
  14. judgedeath2

judgedeath2 New Member

update: I called VZW, and the tech support rep told me that they were experiencing 3g internet outages for much of my region of the country that day (when I originally posted). Was back up yesterday and have been good since.
  15. shikaki

shikaki New Member

Every time I try to tether

I get the Verizon page telling me to pay. I have rooted my phone and it woprked for a bit, but over the last couple of weeks I'm getting the verizon page. Help!!!
  16. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

A lot of people get the Verizon page when they use USB tether in the phone. Try Wireless Tether for Root Users or another program like pdanet.
  17. shikaki

shikaki New Member

Wireless?

Thanks for you r quick response!!! Do you mean via bluetooth or some other way?
  18. NattyBee

NattyBee New Member

Wireless Tether for Rot Users works via wifi...you can also try EasyTether available in market...costs $9.99 for initial purchase, but it works like a charm...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  19. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

There is also a wired tether app from the same developers of wireless tether. No need to pay for easy tether or anything else. I would have thought that by now the 5gb cap was out of peoples minds. Who keeps this rumor going? You can use as much data as you want each month...period. As long as it's coming from your phone. And as far as I know, the hacks being used to allow free tethering will show that the data is.coming from your phone. Now...if they wanted to Verizon could say "well the is no way you are downloading so much flash content to your phone since you have 2.1 which doesn't support flash" (or some other content..just an example) and bust ya lol.

There is NO CAP for what you use on your phone. Just make sure if you tether that you are accessing content that you could also acess from your phone.
  20. shikaki

shikaki New Member

Thank you both very much!!!

Wireless tether works great!!! Verizon is lost in their own greed!!!!
Search tags for this page

bypass verizon tether block

does verizon block tethering
has verizon blocked thethering on droid bionic
how to bypass galaxy centura limited data
how to bypass verizon tether block with h20
how to bypass verizon wifi block droid 2
usb tether skip verizon subscribe page
verizon block dns tether
verizon tether

wifi tether verizon block