Verizon beings unlimited data throttle - Your response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
I've been throttled. Right now. I looked and I used 2.3gb last month. Out has slowed my download speed to 1mb per 7 seconds. Pretty frustrating when trying to update apps in the market. I just wish they would have told me via text message or email. I thought something was wrong with my phone for about a week. I don't think its asking too much to be notified about it is it?

This post is Incredible 2

Rowzy

Reaction score
Lol..I wouldn't read too far into it...I would love someone to take them to court for offering 4gLTE and then it not actually being nothing of the sort..lol It is 4g...no worries..I've heard many arguments..it is what it is with verizon...You buy a 4g phone your capable of running "4g' speeds....etc......I won't follow up anymore on the subject as its not really worth it..lol Just trying to help...peace!
One Epic Blue and Bold Cm7(otaGBK) .----->fastforward!

Sorry but its not 4g. LTE is nowhere near 1Gbit/s. Everybody on the big tech site that I visit hates the ISPs with a passion because of the crap they pull but on all the cell phone sites a lot of people dont seem to care? Weird. Maybe its because they know what goes on in the router rooms?

I've been throttled. Right now. I looked and I used 2.3gb last month. Out has slowed my download speed to 1mb per 7 seconds. Pretty frustrating when trying to update apps in the market. I just wish they would have told me via text message or email. I thought something was wrong with my phone for about a week. I don't think its asking too much to be notified about it is it?

This post is Incredible 2

Welcome to America where 2.3gb in the year 2011 = heavy usage and then they dont even tell you when they cut the legs off the connection you pay an extra $30 a month for. Are you on the "unlimited"(lmao) plan?

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry but its not 4g. LTE is nowhere near 1Gbit/s. Everybody on the big tech site that I visit hates the ISPs with a passion because of the crap they pull but on all the cell phone sites a lot of people dont seem to care? Weird. Maybe its because they know what goes on in the router rooms?

Welcome to America where 2.3gb in the year 2011 = heavy usage and then they dont even tell you when they cut the legs off the connection you pay an extra $30 a month for. Are you on the "unlimited"(lmao) plan?

Its all get what you want to believe...Someone with a 4g phone is Capable of these speeds but maybe not...All I know is..Lte is more 4g than 3g and there is a big diff in speed..as I said before..I could care less of internet info...it is what it is..4glte..woohoo! Peace! I really don't care...this thread is a complaint issue that won't resolve a thing, maybe just "I read this or that"...ah....pshhh...lol know what I mean?

Rowzy

Reaction score
Its all get what you want to believe...Someone with a 4g phone is Capable of these speeds but maybe not...All I know is..Lte is more 4g than 3g and there is a big diff in speed..as I said before..I could care less of internet info...it is what it is..4glte..woohoo! Peace! I really don't care...this thread is a complaint issue that won't resolve a thing, maybe just "I read this or that"...ah....pshhh...lol know what I mean?

LTE doesnt come close to 1Gbit/s which is what 4g calls for. What is so hard to understand? I guess just keep saying "it is what it is" because companies love people like that. When we actually DO have true 4g and it takes 1 day to go over your unchanged cap, dont complain about your 5kb/s.

Btw its "I COULDNT care less."

Reaction score
LTE doesnt come close to 1Gbit/s which is what 4g calls for. What is so hard to understand? I guess just keep saying "it is what it is" because companies love people like that. When we actually DO have true 4g and it takes 1 day to go over your unchanged cap, dont complain about your 5kb/s.

I think it is funny when people try to sound like they know what they are talking about with respect to what is or is not 4g. Three bottom line verizon lte IS 4g.

The ITU established these standards and while they initially said 4g is 100Mbps, they have officially announced that the term 4g is undefined and is used to identify the next generation (hence the term 4th generation), as long as that network is significant improvement from the previous 3g standards.

So, 4g does not Megan out most be 1gbps, it simply metals the next level of network capabilities that is a significant increase and I think we can all after that verizon 4g lte is a significant improvement.....therefore, the ITU recognizes it as 4g.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Reaction score
So, 4g does not mean it must be 1gbps, it simply means the next level of network capabilities that is a significant increase and I think we can all agree that verizon 4g lte is a significant improvement.....therefore, the ITU recognizes it as 4g.

Wow, a lot of tips in that last paragraph. Gotta slow down with swype.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it is funny when people try to sound like they know what they are talking about with respect to what is or is not 4g. Three bottom line verizon lte IS 4g.

The ITU established these standards and while they initially said 4g is 100Mbps, they have officially announced that the term 4g is undefined and is used to identify the next generation (hence the term 4th generation), as long as that network is significant improvement from the previous 3g standards.

So, 4g does not Megan out most be 1gbps, it simply metals the next level of network capabilities that is a significant increase and I think we can all after that verizon 4g lte is a significant improvement.....therefore, the ITU recognizes it as 4g.

I agree here. The ITU is the one who are creating the standards and if they define or amend those standards that means LTE is 4G. It's not like "4G" is an actual tangible thing. It's a concept that was established with certain standards by some governing body, and that governing body can and has amended the definition.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

Oh...lol I understand where you are coming from...BUT don't undermind me brother...I repair phones and have my own repair business....In fact I have been involved with these arguments in the past...I don't think your understanding where I'm coming from....When someone sells something and you see it on commercials..most tend to believe it....so therefore in one persons mind, no matter what you tell them, they will call you a liar..lmao, I say it is what it is, to show the comman beliefs are always going to fluctuate...Not everything you read on google to prove a point is going to be accurate....Lol If you want to challenge Verizon...get a lawyer...lol but there are more important issues ...once more....When people ask me...I tell them, Verizon is as close to 4g in USA your going to get mobile....If you want to argue that their claim is false, by all means go for it! Lol Maybe now we can all breathe from laughing at the "I know more than you" comments on the forum...I guess I'm too old bro...I said it before...many times....People are going to believe what they want....Arguing technicalities is fun at times, but honestly I'm sure like me, you care less...Hell, have a beer! In the mean time, maybe from now on, they should call it "Almost 4g" to make people happy..lol Or..Not even 1gig....peace bro!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree here. The ITU is the one who are creating the standards and if they define or amend those standards that means LTE is 4G. It's not like "4G" is an actual tangible thing. It's a concept that was established with certain standards by some governing body, and that governing body can and has amended the definition.

THANK YOU!! Lol

Rowzy

Reaction score

I do know what Im talking about and its not 4g plain and simple. Sorry but because the ITU catered to companies that couldnt back up their claim doesnt mean much to me. The ITU is buddy buddy with the telcos much like the FCC so when the companies couldnt deliver they just dumbed down the meaning. I agree that the line has been blured into classifying a network upgrade as next gen.

Anyways, were steering off topic as I believe the issue is throttling and caps. People dont find it a TAD bit suspicious that Verizon says that only unlimited is affected and tiered plans are not? They want to push people off their "unlimited" plans so they can rake in those overage charges. All the PRs Ive read from them are almost mocking the customers. Such a "robust" and "huge" network that cant even handle somebody using 2gb.

m.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/verizon-begins-throttling-service-for-remaining-unlimited-3g-customers/4522

They could upgrade the network(gasp) to handle the load but they wont because they want to over sell the current one and use negative reinforcement to keep it full. They say only 5% of users are heavy users. Ok. So all the profits from the "lite" users that use 100mb a month arent enough to cover network upgrades for those 5%? Yea whatever. Its laughable.

Reaction score
I do know what Im talking about and its not 4g plain and simple. Sorry but because the ITU catered to companies that couldnt back up their claim doesnt mean much to me. The ITU is buddy buddy with the telcos much like the FCC so when the companies couldnt deliver they just dumbed down the meaning. I agree that the line has been blured into classifying a network upgrade as next gen.

Anyways, were steering off topic as I believe the issue is throttling and caps. People dont find it a TAD bit suspicious that Verizon says that only unlimited is affected and tiered plans are not? They want to push people off their "unlimited" plans so they can rake in those overage charges. All the PRs Ive read from them are almost mocking the customers. Such a "robust" and "huge" network that cant even handle somebody using 2gb.

m.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/verizon-begins-throttling-service-for-remaining-unlimited-3g-customers/4522

They could upgrade the network(gasp) to handle the load but they wont because they want to over sell the current one and use negative reinforcement to keep it full. They say only 5% of users are heavy users. Ok. So all the profits from the "lite" users that use 100mb a month arent enough to cover network upgrades for those 5%? Yea whatever. Its laughable.

Unfortunately you do not understand what 4g is. Plain and simple, verizon lte IS 4g. Just as another poster put it, 3g and 4g are not tangible things that can be easily pointed out. They are concepts or guidelines. Just because the initial guide for 4g said 100mbps this does not set the rule in stone. The definition and guidelines have been changed and since verizons lte network meet the new definition, it is in fact "real lte". Anyone who claims otherwise is just plain ignorant.

According to your reasoning, when the NFL changes a rule like what does or does not constitute pass interference, only the initial rule matters and any modification "is not real." But I guess when any business practice changes their rules or guidelines, they are doing it just to "trick consumers" according to you.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Guys, please keep it civil. I wouldn't want this thread closed down again.

Sent from my Droid 3 directly to YOU!

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Same goes for this one. Verizon's faq is here. Lock it up.
If these threads bother people; then there is no reason for them to read or post in it. When there is a "hot button" issue; temper WILL flare and people will voice their distaste or will defend. I agree will keeping things civil but to just drop into a thread and copy/paste Verizon's FAQ followed by "lock it up" is just not right. We all know what Verizon's stance is BUT, if people cannot voice their own opinions then we might as all move to a Communist Country. If these types of threads bother you; then please do yourself a favor and not participate in them. I mean no disrespect here at all and can understand the frustration of people seeing another re-hash of older issues. Clearly; it is still an issue and people still have opinions about it. To simply start having Mods lock up threads is just going to cost them members. People are here to participate and share their thoughts..... to just deny them that is plain wrong.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If these threads bother people; then there is no reason for them to read or post in it. When there is a "hot button" issue; temper WILL flare and people will voice their distaste or will defend. I agree will keeping things civil but to just drop into a thread and copy/paste Verizon's FAQ followed by "lock it up" is just not right. We all know what Verizon's stance is BUT, if people cannot voice their own opinions then we might as all move to a Communist Country. If these types of threads bother you; then please do yourself a favor and not participate in them. I mean no disrespect here at all and can understand the frustration of people seeing another re-hash of older issues. Clearly; it is still an issue and people still have opinions about it. To simply start having Mods lock up threads is just going to cost them members. People are here to participate and share their thoughts..... to just deny them that is plain wrong.

While I agree with your statement, it is the LACK of civility that causes these threads to shut down. Name calling and belittling members IS NOT tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.