Verizon Begins Charging Full Price of Warranty Phones if Rooted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK Stop this... this is utterly your last warning before I start handing out vacations. You have been warned 2-3 times in this thread already. You go off-topic and start to banter and you will take a vacation.

jrracinfan

Reaction score
@neogeo
That's what nandroid is made for
If you're not smart enough to create a stable backup you shouldn't be rooting in the first place

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
@neogeo
If you're not smart enough to create a stable backup you shouldn't be rooting in the first place

I agree. But Verizon should be obligated to fix any problems that are not linked to rooting, and should offer paid assistance to those that rooting is the cause of the problem.

EDIT: Official TOS wording about voiding your warranty,

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...GREEMENT&jspName=footer/customerAgreement.jsp

"modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications"

That is very vague, and could be taken to mean that if I install Launcherpro that I voided my warranty, since the stock launcher is the "manufacturer specification". They do not specifically say "root" or "root access" etc.

It also doesn't specifically state anything about tethering, or internet connection sharing with other devices being against the TOS you signed.

I never knew how ridiculously lacking their TOS are, and the inability to know if you are breaking them or not. They need to be revised before they start enforcing anything.

Last edited:

jrracinfan

Reaction score
@neogeo

I agree. But Verizon should be obligated to fix any problems that are not linked to rooting, and should offer paid assistance to those that rooting is the cause of the problem.

That is very vague, and could be taken to mean that if I install Launcherpro that I voided my warranty, since the stock launcher is the "manufacturer specification". They do not specifically say "root" or "root access" etc.

LauncherPro does not require root access. Therefore it couldn't damage the software on the phone at all.

Going by that general statement "modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications" could also be taken that if you install an extended battery or a different MicroSD, your warranty is voided. My point is this; VZW could deny you going by that general statement for nearly anything. But back to my point, if you don't know how to fix it then don't screw with it.

EDIT:
"Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee."

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
If they can't specifically state what is and what isn't allowed, they shouldn't be enforcing any restrictions.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
EDIT:
"Can Verizon Wireless Change This Agreement or My Service?

We may change prices or any other term of your Service or this agreement at any time,but we'll provide notice first, including written notice if you have Postpay Service. If you use your Service after the change takes effect, that means you're accepting the change. If you're a Postpay customer and a change to your Plan or this agreement has a material adverse effect on you, you can cancel the line of Service that has been affected within 60 days of receiving the notice with no early termination fee."

Music to my ears. I remember a couple weeks back most users saying you can't get out of a contract if they altered your contract from what you originally signed to.

Rooting, tethering, custom mods Oh my!

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
@neogeo

...really? installing an app is not the same as gaining superuser access to a file system. the reaching continues to be hilarious.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Postpay customer? I don't know what that is. Can someone enlighten me?

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
...really? installing an app is not the same as gaining superuser access to a file system. the reaching continues to be hilarious.

Ya, really. Their TOS is vague, and installing a launcher app is altering the original specifications of the fresh out of the box phone. If they want to void warranty for root access they need to state that root access voids warranty, and if they want to say that tethering is against the TOS, they need to state it in their TOS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ya, really. Their TOS is vague, and installing a launcher app is altering the original specifications of the fresh out of the box phone. If they want to void warranty for root access they need to state that root access voids warranty, and if they want to say that tethering is against the TOS, they need to state it in their TOS.

they do state tethering, and you ignore it. and yes you're right, i guess they should have dumbed it down incredibly for those who are incapable of appreciating the difference between rooting and installing an app.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Ahh. That is not in the TOS that I was looking at.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where does it state tethering? Not finding anything about internet sharing, or tethering.

Not that it makes a difference because you will do some more reaching but:

"Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal
computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.
We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network."

and the source: Mobile Broadband / National Access - Terms & Conditions - Verizon Wireless Support

Listed under the "Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses"

Waiting for you to say "Meh, i'll do what i want" because as we all know, that's really all you can say.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where does it state tethering? Not finding anything in the TOS about internet sharing, or tethering. I hope you are not referring to "actions that negatively impact other users" which is a direct response to using unusual amounts of bandwidth, which the two are not hand in hand.

No I'm referring to the part that says you can't tether.

Status
Not open for further replies.