Verizon Back to School Promo; Buy One Get One Free on Droid3 or DroidX2

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Verizon has a crazy back-to-school sale on a couple of phones right now. You can pick up the Droid X2 or the brand new Droid 3 on a BOGO (Buy One Get One) free, sale. This deal looks to be only for new customers, so perhaps this would be good for a new family plan of some kind. Regardless, perhaps they want to gut their inventory ASAP to clear room for the Droid Bionic.

Some folks have been bashing on the Droid 3 a little bit in the forums, and since the Droid Bionic is coming so soon, I can understand the hesitancy; however, the Droid 3 is still an excellent dual-core phone for people that need/want a slide-out keyboard and either don't care about or can't get LTE in their area. How many of you guys want to take advantage of this offer?

Source: Droid-Life and VZW
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 New Member

I'm not really sure where the logic comes from behind someone thinking they need to "clear out" inventory of any kind. When the Droid 4 comes out, they'll be looking to clear out inventory of the Droid 3, likewise, when the X3 comes out, they'll be looking to clear out inventory of the X2...

The Bionic should scare the X2 I guess, but the D3 is a whole other animal with basically the same specs, do you want a 4G tablet phone, or a keyboard with superior battery life. That's the choice. Performance wise, they'll be identical.
  3. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

No, I don't want to take advantage of this offer thank you. I am also waiting for the bionic.
  4. trestevenson

trestevenson Active Member

If the offer applied to current customers, I would probably jump on it for both myself (D3) and my girlfriend (Dinc). I have an NE2 to utilize, and this would suffice for the time being. However, since it doesn't, I won't (can't).
  5. trestevenson

I meant to say that I have a D1 I'd replace with a Droid3, and she's be fine with the DX2 as a replacement for her Incredible.
  6. krazienluv10

krazienluv10 New Member

i dont understand how the droid became a middle class phone that nobody cares anymore type of phone... it should still hold its ranking as somewhere in the top near the bionic.... guess the droid is old news.......
  7. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 New Member

It will perform exactly the same as the Bionic. Everyone is buying into the FUD.

People are associating 4G LTE with "top of the line." That simply isn't the case, but whatever, not worth arguing anymore. People will believe what they want to believe.
  8. CKD2

CKD2 New Member

I gotta say, when I went to Verizon store the other day I used a Driod3, Thunderbolt, Dinc2, and Charge. I went to the same 2 websites on all phones and Droid 3 by far was the fastest. I really love that phone but I'm kinda glad I have to wait another year for my upgrade. I wanna make sure I pick the best verizon phone
  9. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

I completely agree. Bionic will have 4G and a bigger screen with a lot more advertising. It's hype.
  10. Limbwalker

Limbwalker New Member

I'm a big fan of the sliding keyboard. The deal killer for me was no LTE. Just silly on their part . . . dancedroid
  11. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

DITTO!

Also, I am not sure why manufacturers have been releasing new non-LTE devices. Doesn't make sense.
  12. Maverick0984

Maverick0984 New Member

Because LTE devices are currently rather large because of the radio size in them.

Not everyone wants to be carrying around such a large device. Look at the Revolution, Thunderbolt, and Charge. All are thick as heck, Bionic will be no different.

I want the second revision of radios before I jump in. These things are all going to give us cancer anyway, why put the bigger and hotter one next to my brain?
  13. napjester

napjester New Member

That's all relative. There will always be a better phone coming out so don't get caught up waiting on the next best thing or you'll never get anything. Get what you need now and worry about later later. Innovation will never end and you will always regret your electronic purchases for want of the new stuff. Let it go and just enjoy what you have or go broke trying to play follow the leader.
  14. dracos

dracos New Member

Little confused how does this not apply to current customers. I have a NE2 and went to the website and was able to get BOGO offer with no issue.
  15. trestevenson

No kidding!? I didn't even try to do this. In the original post it states that the offer is only good for new customers, so I didn't even think to verify this. Looks like I may be getting a new phone this week...:)
  16. enzom3

enzom3 New Member

Just ordered two for wife and myself. Should be here in two days.

We went to the verizon store so she can see the phone. She actually likes the Charge's display better, but then when I told her it'll cost us $149 for two X2's, versus $498 for two Charge's, it was a no brainer. LTE is getting turned on in our market in a few days but it's not a big deal for me, since we're either on wifi at home or school, or on the road where there will never be LTE.
  17. darkmatter

darkmatter New Member

I like people not getting superior 3g phones in waiting for a 4g phone. That means my already fast D3 will get even faster when people stop using up my 3g bandwidth when they jump to the battery hogging, huge radio 4g. dancedroid
  18. Stelv

Stelv New Member

3g phones are at there prime. I let go of the 4G hype a while back because what are you going to use 4g for anyways? What is one downloading on their phone where they need crazy data speeds? Gigs of what? I get fast 3g at 1.3+ on the inc2. I can stream hd video, music, etc no problem. The software on the x2 would turn me off more than no 4G would.

sent from my inc2
  19. pistacio

pistacio New Member

I just hit the button. Coming from a D1, I was on the fence about the D3 but ultimately decided not to pass up on the BOGO offer. With my upgrade and credit, and an upgrade on another line, got two D3's for $149.99. Who needs 4g anyway...

I can also confirm this deal works for existing customers, not only for new activations.
  20. bigdad63

bigdad63 Member

I loved the D3 when I tried it, but it and all of the other new phones I tried on 3g at the store took 12-25 seconds to download a page (with very little memory utilized). And even though I loved the keyboard as well, 4g is supposed to arrive in the first part of '12 and take away the pain.
Search tags for this page
back to school vzwdeals

does verizon buy back phones

does verizon have back to school sales
verizon android smartphone back to school
verizon back to school free android
verizon back to school free galaxy s3

verizon back to school sale

verizon back to school special sale

verizon bogo 2011

verizon phones for sale
verizon s4 bogo free