Verizon+AT&T iPhone 4 will put the Droid platform to bed in 2011

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by JimMariner, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altimax98

altimax98 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This thread is typical.... Yeah the iphone will have an impact on the droid line and android in general... But I think that android stands to gain ground as well.. Let's rewind one year...

Android 2.0 was just released, the Droid line on verizon was just started and the nexus one was just about released.. Android had a bunch of polish left and apple stuck in a bad contact was to scared to leave at&t for some reason.. Im sure the market share from verizon would have offset any costs of voiding the contact.... But anyways, if apple would have struck at that time, androids as we know it would not exist. Apple would have crushed the Droid branding which in my opinion is the biggest reason for androids growth (just check market share for the d1)...

But look at the situation today.. Android has surpassed apple in sales and its also the number one selling os on every US carrier except at&t. Apple is set to launch on verizon in the next few months BUT android is setting to launch IMO the largest launch for any platform at any time on every carrier.. (samsung, lg, motorola, acer, vizio, dell, HTC....) with 1-3 devices from each manufacturer... The next 6 months are going to be huge for android...
    Think, motorola is launching the ATRIX on the iPhone carrier and is launching with the most powerful phone ever built matching or beating every stat that apple had with the iPhone 4. The phone is geared towards every user type... Especially business users.. How many iphones will connect to a tv or computer screen and do what android can do? Ever???

The iphone is a good device but seriously you think that it launching on verizon will end android???? Lol just wait... Android is about to hit another wave like last year, iphone launching on verizon will slow it down, but I honestly think that android launching so many phones on every single carrier built specifically for every style of user is a much bigger story.

Sent from one of those missing Droids

2. leonozug

leonozug Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We'll see about this statement....Droid Bionic coming out will definitely make people think twice with it's dual-core processor....when the Bionic, Atrix and XOOM were announced at CES and shown off, Nvidia stock shot way up. That right there was a sign. Sure, people will flock to the Iphone when it comes to Verizon, but I believe Android will still be strong in 2011. I know I'M getting a Bionic, definitely NOT getting an Iphone.

3. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Droid will definitely survive, but I think it will definitely take somewhat of a beating.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12

yeah droid is going nowhere, simply far too many devices out there for it to just disappear. but yes, it will take quite the beating haha

5. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Android sales worldwide will be barely impacted by the addition of the iPhone to the Verizon USA lineup. We lose sight of the fact that the USA is NOT the rest of the world.

6. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And the fact that android isn't JUST in the iphone class... it fulfills most price ranges. Not JUST high end :) and soon my fridge and tv... and bike... and car... and house... what am I missing? Hahaha

7. jeffv2

jeffv2 Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't remember the exact numbers but, android users in novermber 2009 500,000. Android users as of december 2010 11,000,000.
    I think android is here to stay, consitering we aren't even on our 4th major release like ios. We're only on our 2nd hha
    I hope you don't like watching flash video's if you buy the iphone,
    Instead you have the wonderful HTML5, which runs at like 5fps on the iphone

8. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    Keep on with the snide remarks about HTML5. If you watch closely, at least one Android phone, can't remember which but I think the Bionic, is using HTML5 as a selling point.

Flash is going to hurt in the near future. I know from tech geeks that are close friends, they greatly prefer HTML5 over Flash. Flash will diminish. It won't go away, but HTML5 will pick up.

9. jarvik1394

jarvik1394 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    f anything it will be good for android as it will spur greater competition. Of course there will be an exodus of people from AT&T to Verizon hungry for their network.
    I seriously doubt we'll see any iPhone on Verizon before 2012. This announcement is probably going to be an ipad with a front facing camera

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

10. UNC

UNC Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Apple would make that announcement, not Verizon

11. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    That is a major HARDWARE change, not carrier change, thus Apple territory. Verizon won't be allowed to announce the iPad 2. Not going to happen. And apparently some very valid people are placing Jobs with Verizon on Tuesday. We'll see, but couple that with what I just saw about the infamous white iPhone release on the Apple website and I will continue to bet the Tuesday announcement is the iPhone on Verizon.

12. l0stmydamnmind

l0stmydamnmind New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Man what a touchy subject for my first post! Background for my previous phones nokia 5100 then 6100, moto 120v,nokia 9800, moto 810i, moto krazor,then the first smartphone release bb storm with verizon great at first then slow and over the contract left a horrible taste in my mouth a required 30$ per phone data charge per month that u literally couldn't use..... if not for the droid x being released it was planned to go sprint with the evo.... last minute choice for the droidx was the best ever hands down the best phone I've ever used...... iphones have nothing on this they are for cookie cutter people...people that have to follow a fad to look cool but need the safety net of a brand because they really don't understand the technology they are trying to buy as long as the apple logo is on it they know they're shallow friends will be amazed. For anyone to think that the droids will b overlooked at verizon come checkout time is wrong if it was there before my purchase it wouldn't have ever got my attention 1. overpriced 2. specs it doesn't make sense all it will do for verizon is bring in sheep from att not affect the android sales.... tell me im not alone in this I can't be the only person that a probook can't justify being twice as expense as a equally spec'd laptop from any other company...apple knows their following is in fools....

Sent from my DROIDX** using DroidForums App

**Best phone ever

13. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The ONLY reason people are making the switch to html5 is because flash doesn't and said they never will ha e accessibility options... so yeah in a year or two you might see a lot less flash sites. BUT for now, html5 is a PAIN to code in, I can guarantee nobody would prefer coding in that over flash (one of the easiest languages), there aren't a lot of html5 ciders right now and they charge more than most (cuz of the difficulty in coding). I DO however LOVE it when all these apple fanboys bring this up as an arguement (I swear they have some script/list of 'reasons to go iphone' because they ALL use the same 5 or so arguements).

The bottom line is html may be the future, but it is NOT the immediate future. Its got at LEAST a year or two before it comes close to flash. Big companies still have new sites coming out using flash, either way by the time it becomes the standard apple fannies think they're going to be able to force it to become, it'll be a while, and it'll be standard on all smartphones. Maybe we'll even have quadcore 2gig phones hahaha

Sent from my Droid

14. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    you're suggesting that android "fanboys" (your words not mine), have new and innovative arguments every time someone asks them why android is better than ios?

the only ones i ever hear are "OPEN SOURCE!!!" ,"FLASH!!!" ,"NOT LOCKED DOWN!!", "APPLE IS A CULT!!", "THE IPHONE IS OLD TECH!!"

android people recycle the same lame stuff too, man...

15. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2,441
    Can I make an end all post...sort of.

Look, as an apple user via former 3gs and ipod touch apple is a good product android is a good product. They have different models to achieve different goals. People who buy the iphone do not care about customizing or flash cuz they dont need to. A large percent of the world can careless about rooting, hacking, they just want a device to work. Apple has took a smart phone and made it so a 5 year old can basically pick it up and enjoy using it and that model is perfect. Apple has sold a bunch of iphones for a reason and that business model of keeping it simple and making a good product works. Can you jailbreak the iphone, yes, but most people really do not care to...I have seen people load windows 7 o.s (computer windows 7) on there iphone just for fun....but in the end goes back to the stock because they like how it works...most tweaks are maybe to change the notification sounds. Personally I prefer android and it is now my device of choice. They are both great devices/ o.s. Lets drop the "fanboy" comments because we all have our preferences. Just because some prefer one over another does not mean one device is going to disappear. Both android and apple will be around for a good while and the competition should be left to the ceos of the respective company so that as users we all can enjoy it. I am not gonna take you off your preference and you off of mine...so let just stop trying to prove who's o.s is better because to be honest it is a matter of opinion.

As users we all have preferences....some people love to tweak and customize every little detail while others like a device that is simple and allows the user to spend more time using their device than making tweaks. We all have our preferences and both apple and android will continue to provide good devices. As apple keep making good devices it will force android to make good devices and in the end we as users all win. What device is best for me may not be best for you so we will respect each others choices and have civil discussions. Please do not have a back and forth flaming over o.s...this section is for iphone users to discuss the potential for apple on the vzw network. We are glad to have apple iphone users as a part of our forum and gladly welcome civil discussions. Thanks and we again welcome apple iphone users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.