Verizon+AT&T iPhone 4 will put the Droid platform to bed in 2011

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by JimMariner, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimMariner

JimMariner New Member

(Quote:Jim "Say this Ain't So !" ) :icon_eek:
    While the iPhone is a really nice device, I don't believe this will be the case for Android if and when the iPhone comes to VZW. How about the rest of you? Come on, chime in on this one people !
    =============================================

[​IMG]
    October 15, 2010

The short story of where we are at the end of 2010 in the smartphone world is this: Apple offered the not-yet-launched iPhone exclusively to Verizon, who turned it down, and so Apple gave the iPhone exclusively to AT&T. The iPhone became a massive hit, which had Verizon regretting having turned it down – and AT&T regretting the negative impact all those millions of iPhones had on its cellular network. Verizon reacted by launching a competing psuedo-iPhone based on the Android operating system, which was no more designed for consumer usage than Linux on the desktop, but it was the best available so Verizon went with it (and so did Sprint, for that matter). Verizon’s Android-based phone, dubbed the Droid, sold well to those Verizon users who had wanted the iPhone but couldn’t get one through their carrier. That motivated Apple to get out of its exclusivity deal with AT&T, which AT&T was growing wary of anyway, and make plans to launch the iPhone on Verizon in early 2011 alongside the existing AT&T iPhone. And that gets us up to where we are now.

What happens next? Geeks who love the Android platform as much as they love their Linux will tell you that the Droid has already won. Verizon has shown that many or most mainstream folks would rather settle for a smartphone they don’t want (or sit pat for years with no smartphone at all) than switch to a carrier they don’t like in order to get the smartphone they do want. They’ll argue that Apple is only expanding the iPhone to multiple carriers in order to slow down Droid sales. And to an extent they’re right. The flaw in that argument, of course, is that with the iPhone’s arrival on Verizon, those same mainstream folks now have the option between the phone they actually want the phone they had up until now only been considering because it appeared to be a close-ish approximation of the phone they want. Given those two choices, it’s nearly a given that Verizon customers will opt for the phone they actually want. In the case of Verizon-using geeks, that’ll be the Droid. In the case of mainstream Verizon users, it’ll be the iPhone.

Which group is larger? Well, there’s a reason why they call it the mainstream. Mainstream Verizon customers who’ve spent 2010 debating whether to buy a Droid or wait for a possible Verizon iPhone will now opt for the Verizon iPhone. Some mainstream Verizon customers who’ve already bought a Droid but wanted an iPhone will now move to the iPhone once they’re ready for a new phone, while some others will decide they’re already far enough down that road in terms of Droid apps and such that they’ll choose to remain on it. But Droid users are nearly all on their first Droid, most of them having bought first one this year, which means they’re not nearly as entrenched in the Droid platform so as to be unwilling to walk away in favor of the Verizon iPhone they wanted all along.

If Apple had waited another year or two, and a Verizon iPhone might have had a significantly harder time gaining traction. Then again, a year or two ago, a Verizon iPhone would have had no competition at all. As it stands, the Verizon iPhone won’t claim all Verizon customers when it launches in early 2011, but it’ll claim most of the ones who ever had an interest in the iPhone in the first place. By the time it’s said and done, only the geeks will still be clinging to their Verizon Droid in large numbers; if anything, the largest concentration of remaining Android users will be with Sprint – and there’s nothing to say Apple can’t expand the iPhone in that direction as well, down the road. Just as long as it doesn’t wait too long.

Source
  2. UNC

UNC New Member

I agree 110%. T-Mo and Sprint will still be pushing Android hard, but the only reason Android is anywhere near where it is today is Verizon's "Droid" line.

Imagine how little they will advertise Droid when vPhone 4 sells out 3-4m units in WEEK ONE.
  3. Nology

Nology New Member

With the amount of incredibles and Xs that were sold the android will live on through verizon for a while. Me and a lot of other people prefer android over iphone. The only thing that I like more about the iphone is the resolution and camera which is a simple thing for a new droid phone to beat.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, I'm almost willing to be that the majority of members of this forum would not switch to the iPhone. I have no intentions to for a couple of reasons, although if I could have 2 active phone lines I might try an iPhone just because I have a Mac.

The problem however is I read that Mobil Me is still required with an iPhone to sync to a Mac. This is a costly, monthly program and with the Droid I don't have to use anything like that, I'm able to sync everything through Google. Now if I was big into using iCalendar and stuff like that then I'd have more of an interest. But even syncing iCalendar to Google calendar is simple.

I think Jim just felt like he was in the mood to stir the pot with this discussion.;) Time will tell if there is truth to this or not.

One other thing: You don't have to be a geek to use an Android phone, they are good to go right out of the box. My D2 is stock, I don't intend to root unless someone gives me a good reason and a way to use SPRecovery to do it and I doubt that will happen because the bootloader can't be cracked. So I don't buy that part about "only geeks will have Droids," not at all.
  5. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

whoop-d-doo, so its an iphone? you do know thats its just a name? the specs are not really that great for a "hit device". especially for a device thats has been around alot longer than any of the android devices.

yeah, i am sure vzw will push this device like there is no tomorrow and will make a lot of money and attract a lot of new customers and use some sales pitch to get current android users to buy one.......not me anyway. vzw also has to market motorola and htc's new 2011 q1&q2 device lineups along side the iphone as well. vzw's deal with these 2 makers explicitly states that their sales need to stay current or exceed the current growth upon new device competition aka:iphone

so dont count the android out yet. the android still has alot of punch up its sleeve. android has a big future with verizon. i am not worried.

long live android.

Note: i use a droid not because i am just a geek :) but because i like simplicity straight out of the box.

Edit: yeah i made some edits to my original post.....so sue me!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  6. JimMariner

JimMariner New Member

I thought this was an interesting article. I found it this morning and wanted to share it with everyone here. As for me, You will have to pry my Droid out of my cold dead hand :p

Thought it would make a good discussion too. :icon_ banana:
  7. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

absolutely.
  8. Varking

Varking New Member

I do honestly believe that if developers would develop quality applications and quality games for Android like they do with the iPhone, this wouldn't even be a debate.

I hate knowing that 9 times out of 10 when an app is ported to Android from iOS, we on Android get features cut or the game or app is really buggy. One of my biggest pet peeves is that a thing like MLB At Bat for Android costs more than iOS versions AND the iOS version has had live games since last season where our Android version never got live video at all.

They have a better market as well that allows for in app transactions.

How long has 9 innings Pro Baseball been out for iPhone with real MLB players? We still don't have it. How long has Inotia II been out for iPhone?

I mean I could go on and on but if your a tech savvy gamer you are forced to the iPhone or iPod or iPad because of the quality of games and applications. Android devices have better specs but how long do you think the iPhone keeps a game like what I will post below before we ever see it on Android? 6 months?

18 seconds in you will see a clip of two people fighting from Epic Citadel. To read more about Epic Citadel you can read here:

Epic Games Brings Unreal Engine 3 to iPad, iPhone and iPod touch | News | Epic Games

And here:

9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Android will take a hit with a Verizon iPhone, but it's proven it's not just a fad and is here to stay.

I do believe Apple knows that another year witholding the iPhone on Verizon will only further allow Android to cement it's future, and if 3.0 holds true to UI enhancements... Android may do just that :)

one way or another, the iPhone is still going to sell monster numbers.
  10. UNC

UNC New Member

Actually, the iPhone 4 specs are as good if not better than most NEW android phones, and the iPhone has been out a few months.
    No phone has a better resolution, and no Android phone has the battery life...

The apps are better on iPhone, so the buyers will follow....
    Where is the TPain app on Android... Oh yea.....
  11. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

that is the only thing i will agree with you on. the iphone still has the most apps, the best apps, the most innovative apps.

but......

newer android devices have or will support mobile hotspts like the Samsung Fascinate. it offers mobile hotspot capabilities, allowing up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices to wirelessly share the Fascinate’s 3G internet connection. the iphone does not.

the fascinate also uses the "AMOLED" screen which provides a number of advantages over the iphone, including a brighter screen, less sunlight reflection, and reduced power consumption. the iphone does not.

samsung fasinate also has the DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) technology, which allows it to wirelessly send user-generated video content to other DLNA-enabled devices, such as TV’s, monitors and laptops. iphone does not.

iphone has no significant customization options, don't like android's interface? no problem: you can change almost every facet of the user experience.

iphone does not have the existence of full multitasking, system-wide voice-to-text input, live, functioning home screen widgets, the ability to swap out the phone's battery, high-quality navigation software that isn't a separate purchase, ability to tether (if rooted) and no be charged $$$$$, the ability to install any app you want, even if it's something morally objectionable.

android has the ability for the user to setup the device the way they want -- not the way Steve Jobs thinks you should.

this could go on for ever......yes iphone has features android does not. android has features iphones does not.

ultimately, deciding to buy an iphone is all about buying into apple's vision of the one perfect smart phone. android, by contrast, is about finding the right smart phone for you. want a phone with a real QWERTY keyboard or a jumbo-size screen? sorry, iphone can't do — but android can :) . you can even get android with a slide-out keyboard and a big screen.

android devices that run android 2.2 match most of the iphone's key features and add some distinctive benefits of their own. i love google maps' spoken turn-by-turn driving directions and the built-in support for the Google Voice telephone service.

Where iPhone Fails an Android Devices Does!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  12. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

The same with me, but...

Just in case it is coming, I am going to name it the Veriphone and put a Circle C around it :wink:
  13. UNC

UNC New Member

You mean like the G2 right????

You can customize an iPhone if you "Jailbreak" it....
    Why is that different than "rooting"?

The VENDORS can set up android any way they want, not the END USER.

And just FYI, the AMOLED on the Incredible doesn't save battery life... The new LED Incredible has BETTER battery life than the old AMOLED one....
    Also, higher resolution + smaller screen = higher PPI which means sharper images... Just sayin'.
  14. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Unless the iPhone beats Android to a dual core device, Android's got me locked :)

side note, even if iPhone did somehow pull it off, I'm still not going anywhere. lol
  15. cdexsw

cdexsw Guest

i never said anything about the incredible, but thanks for pointing that out.
    you will never be able to customize it even a fraction of what is possible with android.
    i am the end user, i can build a rom from source, add/removes features of my choosing and setup the rom how i'd like as long as its within the abilites of the source i am building off of. you cannot even come close to that with ios/iphone.
  16. ManifestDestiny

ManifestDestiny New Member

One word... FLASH! IPhony will never have it therefore IPhony will never have me! I really wanted an IPhone when they first came out. Bought a Storm hoping it would compare and it came nowhere close. Got very excited about the launch of the DX so I just had to have one lol. I bought one and am glad I did. Nothing can touch this phone's screen. Being that I own a Video Production biz, I use my phone for video a ton and need as much screen real estate as possible. I have no issues at all with the resolution on my phone either. I'm glad I never had the opportunity to buy an IPhone because I never would have had the opportunity to experience Droid because it really does do everything that I want it to and I don't have to sync from one computer, its drag and drop baby! Its on Android that I will stay.
  17. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

The problem is a good majority of Verizon Android users only have android because they don't want to leave verizon for whatever reason but still want an iphone type device.

Once the iphone hits watch how many drop their Androids for an iPhone. Maybe not the people on this site but i think a good 30% or more verizon android users will drop android for the iPhone.
  18. thexxoffspring

thexxoffspring New Member

Verizon pointed out that the "DROID DOES." This meaning that the Droid does more than the iDont. At least that's what I got out of it. How do they plan to advertise the iDont to the Droid? Maybe like this... "We're a hyporcritical company so you should buy and iDont."

^^ That's how it's going to be.
  19. garrett

garrett Active Member Theme Developer Developer

its going to have to be a very delicate balancing act to keep both manufacturers happy when it comes to advertising and publicity.

i cant wait till i see both of them in the same commercial or on the same billboard.
  20. eggsped

eggsped New Member

I'd seriously consider the iPhone if it were on VZ, I like my Droid but my daughters iPod touch has far better apps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.