Verizon Apple iPad available October 28th

tdelet

Reaction score
What kind of half-brained *mod edit for language* product is this? Buy an wifi ipad/mifi bundle from Verizon? Why?

Why not buy an android phone from Verizon, simply turn on wifi tethering and buy a wifi ipad?

I don't get why I'd buy the package unless I just enjoy spending extra money.

Darkseider

Reaction score
" Guess that dashes the hopes of a CDMA iPhone now, doesn't it"

I don't understand this statement at all.
What does an ipad have to do with an iphone? absolutely nothing.
Just an attempt to steal sales from samsung and be a gateway drug for future iphone losers.

Plenty. The iPad that is advertised on Verizon's site is a regular run of the mill Wifi iPad bundled with VZW's MiFi hotspot. In English that means NO 3G antenna or for the reading impaired. NO CDMA 3G antenna. Which in turn means NO CDMA iPhone. If Apple won't re-engineer an iPad w/ a 3G CDMA antenna what in the world makes you think they will do it for the iPhone for a "rumored" January release?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Just an attempt to steal sales from samsung and be a gateway drug for future iphone losers.

Plenty. The iPad that is advertised on Verizon's site is a regular run of the mill Wifi iPad bundled with VZW's MiFi hotspot. In English that means NO 3G antenna or for the reading impaired. NO CDMA 3G antenna. Which in turn means NO CDMA iPhone. If Apple won't re-engineer an iPad w/ a 3G CDMA antenna what in the world makes you think they will do it for the iPhone for a "rumored" January release?
All the more reason why the iPhone on Verizon would be LTE....

Darkseider

Reaction score

All the more reason why the iPhone on Verizon would be LTE....

Again not happening anytime soon. Simply because as can be seen with this example of the iPad + MiFi, Apple will NOT produce/support two product lines. Until LTE is a standard across the carriers and is widely available and has good coverage, it isn't happening. Apple never has and will not produce a separate product line. Plain and simple.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

It seems the iPad was a rushed thing but they are manufacturing a whole new iPhone for Verizon so your reasoning doesn't really stand in this scenario. That's not to say you are wrong but IMO I believe they just brought the ipad over with no changes but that won't be the case for a VZW iPhone.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

onsht1kll

Reaction score
Apple said They wont invest time or money into CDMA .. if they invest in LTE That's different .. with verizon launching that early next year and AT&T launching that sometime in 2012 - 2013 ..that will be one platform they need to make .. Would make sense for apple since they would have more of an array to sell their product and more sense for Verizon to put the last nail in the coffin for AT&T .. personally I Would like to see it stay at AT&T so I could watch apple fail but makes business sense for both ..

Darkseider

Reaction score

It seems the iPad was a rushed thing but they are manufacturing a whole new iPhone for Verizon so your reasoning doesn't really stand in this scenario. That's not to say you are wrong but IMO I believe they just brought the ipad over with no changes but that won't be the case for a VZW iPhone.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

The CDMA iPhone that people are going all gaga about thinking it is coming to VZW will be sorely upset when they find out it is going to India.

CDMA iPhone Coming To India On Tata And Reliance Network | OneKerala.Com

Oh and Tata as well as Reliance use 900/1800 CDMA and VZW uses 850/1900 so the devices won't even be US compatible. Sorry folks. No CDMA iPhone for VZW anytime soon.

eryck22

Reaction score
Again not happening anytime soon. Simply because as can be seen with this example of the iPad + MiFi, Apple will NOT produce/support two product lines. Until LTE is a standard across the carriers and is widely available and has good coverage, it isn't happening. Apple never has and will not produce a separate product line. Plain and simple.

I didn't realize Mr Jobs was reading our forums :). Any business including Apple will do what ever it can to make more money, even if it means 5 product lines. Apple and VZW have been chomping at the bit to get each of the respective consumers. I don't believe either will wait for LTE to introduce the product especially given the timeline of LTE, this is enormous untapped resource that both parties are trying to get...at any means.

Last edited by a moderator:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
iPad FAQ on Verizon Wireless

This is definitely the WiFi-only iPad, but with a MiFi 2200 bundled. This has no reflection on the CDMA iPhone being developed -- however, the iPhone IS coming to Verizon eventually. As some have speculated, most likely as an LTE phone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yea I think we can end the "what ifs" now .....Although, was the any exclusive deals with the iPad and AT&T?

no....Target is going to carry the iPad as well

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
DroidForums headlines should really be written by someone who isn't making stuff up left and right.

Selling the same device sold in other stores (I noticed my Micro Center has them now) on wifi-only has NO bearing on whether or not they're going to sell a custom piece of hardware tailored for their network. This is similar to the Sprint thing advertising it'll work with their OverDrive or whatever. Is Sprint getting the iPhone now too?

Honestly, the dead sure attitude whoever is writing these articles now uses in reference to a Verizon iPhone is pretty sad.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
If Apple won't re-engineer an iPad w/ a 3G CDMA antenna what in the world makes you think they will do it for the iPhone for a "rumored" January release?
This is exactly it............

It simply will not happen.

Beardface

Reaction score
4 things

1- Its inevitable that the iPhone is coming to Verizon. I mean seriously, wake up, people. Its the most popular device. Why would the most popular network not bend over backwards to get it? They won't sell their souls, but they certainly aren't going to pass up the opportunity should it present itself. The opportunity is presenting itself.

2- When the iPhone comes over, I certainly hope, with the popularity of Android and Apple, that Verizon's servers can handle all the traffic. Personally, I don't think they can, and I am expecting the servers to be ridiculously bogged down. We've likely seen the end of Verizon claiming to have anything of a fast 3G or 4G network. Perhaps they knew all along the iPhone was coming in January, so they developed the tiered plans in preparation for it? I'm thinking thats very likely.

3. The iPhone will initially hurt Android, but in the long term, it will be a huge boost to the Droid makers. I mean, face it, the Android platform is a better product. You can do everything you can with an iPhone and then more. I think a lot of people will realize that things they are used to with the Droid will not be able to be run with the iPhone and will come back later on. As long as Android can sustain the initial hit, they will be fine.

4. I really hope this pushes Android makers to come out with a quality Tablet, and soon. I'm looking at you, Motorola, HTC, and Google. You've had a year to put out something that rivals the iPad, and you haven't done it yet. You deserve to have Apple coming in your own house with the iPad right now cause you couldn't handle it. Now put out something quality so you can compete or expect to always be an also-ran in the Tablet universe.

UNC

Reaction score
If Apple won't re-engineer an iPad w/ a 3G CDMA antenna what in the world makes you think they will do it for the iPhone for a "rumored" January release?
This is exactly it............

It simply will not happen.

Well, you don't need the iPad to be CDMA for it to function. Why would they reengineer it when they don't have too???

iPhone IS coming to Verizon sooner than you think. It's not the end of the World, although it will put a major dent in the "Droid" line.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon Ipad, looks to me as if verizon is selling a regular I pad and offering their mifi service. No diff then going to bestbuy and getting an ipad and using a tethering app (aka wifi or barnacle). As nice as the ipad is its not worth the price....drop 100 bucks off of it then ill check it out.