Verizon and HTC are Working on Thunderbolt Reboot Problem

Ned

Reaction score
FWIW, I just called VZW to at least have them log the reboot issue on my wifes TB. She is bone stock and since the OTA has also been having the reboot issue (about 2-3 a day). She has other issues too with messaging and a few nitpicky things. The VZW rep looked through their system and did not see any open issue with random reboots.

I am not looking for a new phone for her yet but I want to at least have it logged with VZW that we have the issue. The VZW rep did state that a friend of hers with a TB is also having random reboots. Interesting.

Anyway, I explained to the wife that when you are on the cutting edge of tech you need to be ready to bleed a little.

I need to call back tongiht when I have the phone with me. Supposidly tech support is going to walk through some "fixes". I am sure it will be pull the battery and do a data reset. All of which have been done. If that does not fix it they will ship a replacement but if this is indeed software related a new phone will not make a difference until a software update is issued.

Anyway, I suggest that everyone that has this issue call VZW and explain the problem. Again, not to get a new phone, just to at least get it logged as an issue. The more people that call the better the chance of getting a fix.

Just my 2 cents

JVince

Reaction score
Your PC analogy is flawed. If a CPU maker put out a brand new line of PCs that BSoD within a week they would DEFINITELY issue a recall.

My analogy was simply to point out that any new tech off the shelf can have problems. I never said "all" or "an entire line of" experienced issues. I didn't specify make, model, chipset or anything else.

I agree that some hiccups are to be expected, but to have so many for so long is unacceptable.

I guess you don't remember how long service packs for windows took to come out. Also you cannot gauge how many people are satisfied with their devices from internet data (unless you're privy to customer satisfaction data, which I would love to see). For every ten people that buy a phone and love it, how many do you think go online to find a forum and give positive reviews? Now if ten people buy a phone and hate it, you can be sure the majority will let someone know (Verizon rep, friend, facebook, whatever). This is also why you should be hesitant to trust product reviews online.

If someone were to buy the TB as their FIRST smartphone, they would probably steer away from Android on all future devices... An iPhone, or an HTC WinMo 7 phone "just work" outta the box...

My father bought a Galaxy as his first smart phone (He's in his late 60s). It had those GPS issues that were "so terrible" if you believed the internet hype. He's not a techie but he still would rather use his phone than my mom's iPhone. Primarily because of the built in navigation. Possibly an isolated case, but you can't make a blanket statement that covers "they" as an entire first time smart phone market. And don't get me started on windows phones. Talk about alienating an entire community of smart phone users...

Sure the iP4 had the "death grip" but Apple addressed that much faster than HTC or Verizon has even acknowledged that anything is wrong with the TB.

This doesn't seem accurate at all. We teased our iPhone4 tech in the office for weeks before Apple admitted an error, and longer for the patch to be released. I have no hard data to back this up though, I could be wrong because we enjoyed it so much. He's one of those "Whatever I have is better than anything" guys.

Also, apart from the Radio, what is "brand new" about the TB? Is the GPS new? That has issues... Is the speaker new? Because its awfully quiet...

Anyhow, I'm glad I got off the boat, but good luck with future updates.

Beats me, I didn't dig deep enough to give you the exact information on the guts of the hardware. I know it's LTE (4G). That's new. I know the LTE speeds are ridiculous. That's new. I know the screen is larger than my OG Droid. Maybe not a "new" screen but it adds to the overall reason I chose this phone. I know the UI is faster and more responsive. You get the picture.

I guess I'm just not that picky, or I know how to enjoy what you have instead of complaining about what you don't.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As for the PC analogy I agree with UNC. If I bought a $2500 PC and it BSOD's in a week, I'd definitely be pissed. That's not to say new tech has to be perfect and flaw free, but there has to be a reasonable expectation of quality when you purchase something. A manufacturer can't just say "oh it's new tech, we're sorry you'll have to just deal with it, it's expected, if you dont like it you're free to get another device"...there has to be some semblance of QA/QC put into the production process.

You're an IT guy JVince, as am I, and I'm sure the people on this forum are a little bit more knowledgeable then the average android user, so it may not seem as big a deal to us. But if you're a guy who went in and bought a phone because you saw the awesome commercial (as 90+% undoubtedly do), and it reboots and restarts randomly, or you experience issues receiving messages or battery life sucks, you're going to be upset. Verizon telling you it's "new tech and expected" will only make you more upset. You and I may be IT, but believe me contrary to popular belief, android users are not all mensa members who picked the "better" OS after months of research. When the phone reboots randomly they're gonna think its a crap phone, and they shouldn't have to root it for better performance.

JVince

Reaction score
As for the PC analogy I agree with UNC. If I bought a $2500 PC and it BSOD's in a week, I'd definitely be pissed. That's not to say new tech has to be perfect and flaw free, but there has to be a reasonable expectation of quality when you purchase something. A manufacturer can't just say "oh it's new tech, we're sorry you'll have to just deal with it, it's expected, if you dont like it you're free to get another device"...there has to be some semblance of QA/QC put into the production process.

You're an IT guy JVince, as am I, and I'm sure the people on this forum are a little bit more knowledgeable then the average android user, so it may not seem as big a deal to us. But if you're a guy who went in and bought a phone because you saw the awesome commercial (as 90+% undoubtedly do), and it reboots and restarts randomly, or you experience issues receiving messages or battery life sucks, you're going to be upset. Verizon telling you it's "new tech and expected" will only make you more upset. You and I may be IT, but believe me contrary to popular belief, android users are not all mensa members who picked the "better" OS after months of research. When the phone reboots randomly they're gonna think its a crap phone, and they shouldn't have to root it for better performance.

You make very valid points. Can I admit that I was disagreeing with the previous poster just because I found his attitude annoying? :icon_ banana:

I know I'm a "roll with it" person so honestly lots of stuff doesn't bother me. I've tried to temper my expectations with a dose of reality but I've also been in those "Damn this isn't at all what I was expecting" moments. I hate thinking the majority of smart phone users out there are like MY end users though. That thought would keep me up at night...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You make very valid points. Can I admit that I was disagreeing with the previous poster just because I found his attitude annoying? :icon_ banana:

I know I'm a "roll with it" person so honestly lots of stuff doesn't bother me. I've tried to temper my expectations with a dose of reality but I've also been in those "Damn this isn't at all what I was expecting" moments. I hate thinking the majority of smart phone users out there are like MY end users though. That thought would keep me up at night...

I'm there with you, if I did buy the TB and saw that it wasnt as great as I thought/expected, I most probably would just root it, ROM it and see how I can improve it rather then automatically labeling it a crappy phone. But from the average user perspective (and the majority of smart phone users fall into the non-technical crowd), I can see why people would be disillusioned by it, and that was UNC's point I'm sure.

Kryptyk

Reaction score
I just bought my wife the thunderbolt running stock and she is having crazy reboots. I am in IT as well as a network admin so I don't expect things to always work perfect, but this is pretty ridiculous. Oh well, its only 5 days old so I will just bring it back for replacement. I have already done the factory reboot, but ya....no luck.

Their phones, and like I have stated previously in other posts, buying the newest and greatest thing isn't always the best thing to do. :icon_eek:

JVince

Reaction score
If mine was rebooting like mad or had any of the other "bad" issues I would be right there with you. I must just be really lucky in that my small circle of TB users have had minimal issues aside from battery life. And even that's been better since we've bought those 1750mh(?) HTC ones. I think on average we're seeing 3-5 more hours of life. That's why I suspect that the negative experiences might be a smaller percent of total sales than first expected. Just a hunch though.

UNC

Reaction score
Your PC analogy is flawed. If a CPU maker put out a brand new line of PCs that BSoD within a week they would DEFINITELY issue a recall.

My analogy was simply to point out that any new tech off the shelf can have problems. I never said "all" or "an entire line of" experienced issues. I didn't specify make, model, chipset or anything else.

I agree that some hiccups are to be expected, but to have so many for so long is unacceptable.

I guess you don't remember how long service packs for windows took to come out. Also you cannot gauge how many people are satisfied with their devices from internet data (unless you're privy to customer satisfaction data, which I would love to see). For every ten people that buy a phone and love it, how many do you think go online to find a forum and give positive reviews? Now if ten people buy a phone and hate it, you can be sure the majority will let someone know (Verizon rep, friend, facebook, whatever). This is also why you should be hesitant to trust product reviews online.

My father bought a Galaxy as his first smart phone (He's in his late 60s). It had those GPS issues that were "so terrible" if you believed the internet hype. He's not a techie but he still would rather use his phone than my mom's iPhone. Primarily because of the built in navigation. Possibly an isolated case, but you can't make a blanket statement that covers "they" as an entire first time smart phone market. And don't get me started on windows phones. Talk about alienating an entire community of smart phone users...

Sure the iP4 had the "death grip" but Apple addressed that much faster than HTC or Verizon has even acknowledged that anything is wrong with the TB.

This doesn't seem accurate at all. We teased our iPhone4 tech in the office for weeks before Apple admitted an error, and longer for the patch to be released. I have no hard data to back this up though, I could be wrong because we enjoyed it so much. He's one of those "Whatever I have is better than anything" guys.

Also, apart from the Radio, what is "brand new" about the TB? Is the GPS new? That has issues... Is the speaker new? Because its awfully quiet...

Beats me, I didn't dig deep enough to give you the exact information on the guts of the hardware. I know it's LTE (4G). That's new. I know the LTE speeds are ridiculous. That's new. I know the screen is larger than my OG Droid. Maybe not a "new" screen but it adds to the overall reason I chose this phone. I know the UI is faster and more responsive. You get the picture.

I guess I'm just not that picky, or I know how to enjoy what you have instead of complaining about what you don't.

What you fail to acknowledge is that I did have a TB. You can go thru my posts and find some with the ADR6400 (or whatever) Sig.
I'm not just blindly bashing the phone.... I just feel like ALL of my valid complaints were talked down by the people who believe "my phone is more awesomer than anything else ever". It kinda ticks me off that now after all of my warnings people are finally starting to report the things I said when the phone released....

The TB came out in April, its been a month. Still randomly reboots... Apple shipped the bumpers for iP4 faster than that.

My point about first time smartphone buyers was not meant to be a blanket statement, but you know in your heart of hearts that atleast SOME people will turn on Android after this debacle of a device. It doesn't even have HTCsense.com support which to me along with the lack of "Droid" branding insinuates that HTC and Verizon knew the phone was not quite up to snub.

Some people like things that work as advertised out of the box....

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

What you fail to acknowledge is that I did have a TB. You can go thru my posts and find some with the ADR6400 (or whatever) Sig.
I'm not just blindly bashing the phone.... I just feel like ALL of my valid complaints were talked down by the people who believe "my phone is more awesomer than anything else ever". It kinda ticks me off that now after all of my warnings people are finally starting to report the things I said when the phone released....

The TB came out in April, its been a month. Still randomly reboots... Apple shipped the bumpers for iP4 faster than that.

My point about first time smartphone buyers was not meant to be a blanket statement, but you know in your heart of hearts that atleast SOME people will turn on Android after this debacle of a device. It doesn't even have HTCsense.com support which to me along with the lack of "Droid" branding insinuates that HTC and Verizon knew the phone was not quite up to snub.

Some people like things that work as advertised out of the box....

I can affirm this. I remember your post about the tb, how you bought it with your tax refund,etc and ended up returning it. And yes you were bashed, but you and I should be used to that by now whenever we state an opinion lol

JVince

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion. I'm not calling you wrong but your experience is obviously worlds apart from mine. Either that or we're quite different in how we perceive problems. That's not a veiled attempt at a slight, just an observation. I felt it was only fair to point out the folks who've had very positive experiences with this device as a response to your many negative ones. Honestly my OG Droid had more issues (Call quality, echo, bad radio, etc) than this TB has had so far. Is that the norm? Possibly not, but I just can't believe that the majority of TBs are so flawed.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with stating an opinion. I'm not calling you wrong but your experience is obviously worlds apart from mine. Either that or we're quite different in how we perceive problems. That's not a veiled attempt at a slight, just an observation. I felt it was only fair to point out the folks who've had very positive experiences with this device as a response to your many negative ones. Honestly my OG Droid had more issues (Call quality, echo, bad radio, etc) than this TB has had so far. Is that the norm? Possibly not, but I just can't believe that the majority of TBs are so flawed.

Hey man, wasn't directed towards you. I was just stating a fact that I've seen happen on these forums

arpu31

Reaction score
I just bought my wife the thunderbolt running stock and she is having crazy reboots. I am in IT as well as a network admin so I don't expect things to always work perfect, but this is pretty ridiculous. Oh well, its only 5 days old so I will just bring it back for replacement. I have already done the factory reboot, but ya....no luck.

Their phones, and like I have stated previously in other posts, buying the newest and greatest thing isn't always the best thing to do. :icon_eek:

What is the Software number on your device under settings->About Phone->Software information->Software number

Reaction score
I love my Thunderbolt and I'm one of the users with no issues. I even have good battery life running stock (all day long on 3g, 8 - 12 hours on 4g). I've been in IT support for a long time so I know that most people only complain (and complain loudly :p) when there are problems but only a handful actually commend you when things go well. In other words I think there is a very small percentage of "lemon" Thunderbolts but 80% of the posts are from those owners which makes it look like a terrible phone.