Verizon and HTC are Working on Thunderbolt Reboot Problem

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The TB should be recalled, seriously.

My Thunderbolt has no issues. I guess I'm a lucky one. :icon_ banana:
Got my TB in the first couple of days of release. I'm rooted, using dosBAMF 1.6.3 now and I think I've seen 2 random reboots since I got this phone. I'm surprised to read all of a sudden everyone having reboot issues. Is this something that just started with the OTA? I've been using the leaked update and again, no reboot issues whatsoever.

UNC

Reaction score
I wish more people has actually read what I was saying within the return window instead of discounting my opinion... I said repeatedly that the TB is TRASH. There's a reason it did not get "Droid" branding......

HTC lost me forever after just 15 days with that nightmare of a device. My D1 went over a year without a random reboot.... The TB couldn't got 10 hours. It is a rushed product, they HAD to rush it out since the specs are nowhere near "class leading" had they delayed 2 months the phone would be a FREE Verizon giveaway. Charge vs TB?? Not even a contest.

DROID11

Reaction score
This phone is the biggest, poorest excuse to a smartphone i've experienced yet. Random reboots, force closes everywhere. Especially messaging. If I get a text while on the phone, I'm screwed. Phone locks up tight and if I'm lucky I don't have to pull the battery. I have zero faith in this device. I find myself relying more on my at&t blackberry because it works.
I'm not rooted, can't be bothered. This thing has me so angry. And don't even get me started on this lousy screen that scratches at the slightest touch.
\endrant

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

The great thing about these phones is that they have a warranty for a reason. Go swap the phone out or make a simple phone call, because it is obviously a defective unit (1-866-406-5151). As far as scratching the screen are you touching it with a razor blade or perhaps a diamond? You realize it is gorilla glass, right? It is a very durable, scratch resistant glass. The phone has issues, what brand new piece of technology doesn't? But its not as big of a deal as you're making it.

UNC

Reaction score
This phone is the biggest, poorest excuse to a smartphone i've experienced yet. Random reboots, force closes everywhere. Especially messaging. If I get a text while on the phone, I'm screwed. Phone locks up tight and if I'm lucky I don't have to pull the battery. I have zero faith in this device. I find myself relying more on my at&t blackberry because it works.
I'm not rooted, can't be bothered. This thing has me so angry. And don't even get me started on this lousy screen that scratches at the slightest touch.
\endrant

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

The great thing about these phones is that they have a warranty for a reason. Go swap the phone out or make a simple phone call, because it is obviously a defective unit (1-866-406-5151). As far as scratching the screen are you touching it with a razor blade or perhaps a diamond? You realize it is gorilla glass, right? It is a very durable, scratch resistant glass. The phone has issues, what brand new piece of technology doesn't? But its not as big of a deal as you're making it.

A warranty will only net you another TB if you are outside the 15 day return period. The phone obviously has issues and I'm sure many people will want to opt out.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score
I've been luck to not deal with reboots. I just did the OTA then did a factory restore and haven't had any reboots. Have those that have had reboot problems tried the factory restore? In the TB forum, I've seen where that has solves some peoples problems. Just a though. I love the TB btw.

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
Why should I even have to trouble myself with doing a factory reset? I understand there are issues with new technology but there is a point where enough is enough. I just bit the bullet and did a factory reset. We will see if this works. Just ridiculous that I have to go to that extreme and now have to go back through and personalize my phone, redo my calendar etc. Because the douche bag companies I pay a lot of hard earned money to can not get their heads removed from their ......

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Looks like this device wasn't ready for prime-time either.
I understand there will be glitches in ANY product, even if you beta test it for 10 years.
I haven't been keeping track of each and every issue with this phone, but it seems to be leaving a sour taste in quite a few peoples' mouths.
Hopefully for the users' sake, they get these issue resolved quickly!!

Early adopters have to realize that this happens, either deal with it til it's fixed or move on to another device.

From a hacking point of view...totally understandable.
However, I don't think John Q. Public wants to hear that!
You purchase something with the safe assumption that it will simply work.
Poor Johnny was led to believe from a VZW representative and VZW commercials that this phone is the next best thing since sliced bread, only to experience something different.
Now common sense should kick in and make Mr. Public realize its a new technology, but common sense isn't that common.
Definitely not bashing here. I just hope the users get the issues resolved quickly or given some kind of credit to their accounts or maybe some screen protectors or something for the inconvenience.

Agreed, we all saw the outrage when Moto told people "if you want an unlocked bootloader, go elsewhere", so I can only imagine what would happen if Verizon started telling people "if your phone doesn't work get another one"...that's not good business.

While it is true that all the issues with the TB are because it's bleeding edge (although the commercials would have you think it was God's gift to man), the solution definitely isn't "go get another phone if you don't like it"

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Why should I even have to trouble myself with doing a factory reset?

It's one of the first things that tech support has you do with any droid.....

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
So after my factory reset, I am still having random reboot! I called and spoke to Verizon and I can not begin to tell you how horrible they handled my concerns! I would like to plea for all thunderbolt owners that experience the slightest defective nature from their device to call and demand them to stand up for their customers and make it right! If I had the resources to walk away from my 5 smart phone lines, I would do it in a heartbeat! What happened to this company?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
So after my factory reset, I am still having random reboot! I called and spoke to Verizon and I can not begin to tell you how horrible they handled my concerns! I would like to plea for all thunderbolt owners that experience the slightest defective nature from their device to call and demand them to stand up for their customers and make it right! If I had the resources to walk away from my 5 smart phone lines, I would do it in a heartbeat! What happened to this company?

Software fixes do not happen overnight....

Wonmotyme

Reaction score
It is not only about the reboot issue after the OTA update. It is also about all the other issues that plaque this phone! Not to start an argument but it has been more than a couple nights! When you have to depend on your phone to be solid then that is too long. I apologize we don't see eye to eye.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I apologize we don't see eye to eye.

No need to apologize, Just stating fact here.

It's the first LTE Device, Early adopters always have the bugs.....

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
...There's a reason it did not get "Droid" branding....

And I thought it was because the "Droid" brand belonged to Motorola and this is an HTC phone. Oh well.

True, Only Moto's are branded "Droid" since Moto is paying George Lucas $$$ to do so...