Verizon and HTC are Working on Thunderbolt Reboot Problem

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thunderbolt-reboot.jpg

If you own one of Verizon's new HTC Thunderbolts, you are probably acutely aware of the plethora of reboots that the phone seems to constantly experience randomly. Well, apparently a blogger posted a complaint on Twitter, and Verizon took it to heart. They were already working with HTC to address the reboots and now simply publicly acknowledged it. What do they say about the "squeaky wheel getting something"?

Source: ThunderboltForums.com via AndroidCentral

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Looks like this device wasn't ready for prime-time either.
I understand there will be glitches in ANY product, even if you beta test it for 10 years.
I haven't been keeping track of each and every issue with this phone, but it seems to be leaving a sour taste in quite a few peoples' mouths.
Hopefully for the users' sake, they get these issue resolved quickly!!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I understand there will be glitches in ANY product, even if you beta test it for 10 years.
I haven't been keeping track of each and every issue with this phone, but it seems to be leaving a sour taste in quite a few peoples' mouths.

Early adopters have to realize that this happens, either deal with it til it's fixed or move on to another device.

krym34

Reaction score
After this "bug" is fixed, will we get an update to download the fix or, how would this work?
I am one of those, constantly experiencing the "plethora" of reboots - quite annoying. I am not sure if this can be good for my Tbolt. :icon_eek:

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Early adopters have to realize that this happens, either deal with it til it's fixed or move on to another device.

From a hacking point of view...totally understandable.
However, I don't think John Q. Public wants to hear that!
You purchase something with the safe assumption that it will simply work.
Poor Johnny was led to believe from a VZW representative and VZW commercials that this phone is the next best thing since sliced bread, only to experience something different.
Now common sense should kick in and make Mr. Public realize its a new technology, but common sense isn't that common.
Definitely not bashing here. I just hope the users get the issues resolved quickly or given some kind of credit to their accounts or maybe some screen protectors or something for the inconvenience.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

Agreed! It's all apart of being a early adopter. I was an early adopter of the Droid and now the Thunderbolt. Despite this minor software glitch and other issues people complain about, the phone overall is still a great phone to own.

luv2golf

Reaction score
I have had the Thunderbolt from the date of release. I am rooted and installed the updated baseband from jcase when he released it. Never had any reboot issues.
When I used Das BAMF 1.5, I started seeing reboots about every 2 hours.
Since I started using BAMF stripped beta 1.1 with adrynalyne's 4.4.7 kernel, I have not had any reboots plus I get around 12-15 hrs battery life with moderate use.
I guess this problem effects some phones but not others.

UNC

Reaction score
This is why I dumped the TB in the 15 day grace period. It was a beta release, basically the Xoom 2. By the time they get everything ironed out it will be outdated...

Someone "could" sue Verizon and HTC for this if let's say: A woman is being attacked, she pulls out her TB to call 911.... phone reboots.... woman dies....
It may seem overblown, but that could seriously happen.

The TB should be recalled, seriously. Just allow anyone who bought one to trade out for any phone of lesser or equal value.

BLAZETIGER

Reaction score
My Thunderbolt has no issues. I guess I'm a lucky one. :icon_ banana:

Me too. I'm running stock and have had no issues with the phone rebooting. Got my phone right before they cut off the 1yr contract option.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

Except the reboot issue has plagued many phones over the past year, including the DX. It's not a case of being an early adopter, this problem is a year old and has never been addressed. It is just now hitting the newer phones coming out, that's all.

52brandon

Reaction score
If you own one of Verizon's new HTC Thunderbolts, you are probably acutely aware of the plethora of reboots that the phone seems to constantly experience randomly
While I am aware of the problem. I have never experienced a reboot other than my own doing (playing with speeds/voltages)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you own one of Verizon's new HTC Thunderbolts, you are probably acutely aware of the plethora of reboots that the phone seems to constantly experience randomly
While I am aware of the problem. I have never experienced a reboot other than my own doing (playing with speeds/voltages)

You may not have, but if even 1% of the TBolts out there have this issue, it is a HUUUUGE problem.

Heck in some industries, even a 1/4 of a percent failure rate is enough to issue a recall.

My girlfriend has had reboots since day 1, and I have had them on my DX for 8 months. There are more than 3 dozen threads on this forum alone about spontaneous reboots on stock, unrooted phones, as well as rooted and ROM'd ones.

it's an OS issue, and it still has not been fixed.

lockman

Reaction score
This phone is the biggest, poorest excuse to a smartphone i've experienced yet. Random reboots, force closes everywhere. Especially messaging. If I get a text while on the phone, I'm screwed. Phone locks up tight and if I'm lucky I don't have to pull the battery. I have zero faith in this device. I find myself relying more on my at&t blackberry because it works.
I'm not rooted, can't be bothered. This thing has me so angry. And don't even get me started on this lousy screen that scratches at the slightest touch.
\endrant

Sent from my brain using my fingers.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my girl left AT&T and her iPhone 3Gs to get the TBolt and while she is very happy to not be dropping 10+ calls a day(not joking), the phone itself irritates her. It reboots pretty often, the GPS is crap and doesn't work at all half the time, and the touch screen is SOOOOOOOOO sensitive that it is constantly launching apps and doing all sorts of things by barely touching it.