1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon and HTC are Working on Thunderbolt Reboot Problem

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

If you own one of Verizon's new HTC Thunderbolts, you are probably acutely aware of the plethora of reboots that the phone seems to constantly experience randomly. Well, apparently a blogger posted a complaint on Twitter, and Verizon took it to heart. They were already working with HTC to address the reboots and now simply publicly acknowledged it. What do they say about the "squeaky wheel getting something"?

Source: ThunderboltForums.com via AndroidCentral
  2. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Looks like this device wasn't ready for prime-time either.
    I understand there will be glitches in ANY product, even if you beta test it for 10 years.
    I haven't been keeping track of each and every issue with this phone, but it seems to be leaving a sour taste in quite a few peoples' mouths.
    Hopefully for the users' sake, they get these issue resolved quickly!!
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Early adopters have to realize that this happens, either deal with it til it's fixed or move on to another device.
  4. krym34

krym34 New Member

After this "bug" is fixed, will we get an update to download the fix or, how would this work?
    I am one of those, constantly experiencing the "plethora" of reboots - quite annoying. I am not sure if this can be good for my Tbolt. :icon_eek:
  5. carlz28

carlz28 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

From a hacking point of view...totally understandable.
    However, I don't think John Q. Public wants to hear that!
    You purchase something with the safe assumption that it will simply work.
    Poor Johnny was led to believe from a VZW representative and VZW commercials that this phone is the next best thing since sliced bread, only to experience something different.
    Now common sense should kick in and make Mr. Public realize its a new technology, but common sense isn't that common.
    Definitely not bashing here. I just hope the users get the issues resolved quickly or given some kind of credit to their accounts or maybe some screen protectors or something for the inconvenience.
  6. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

Agreed! It's all apart of being a early adopter. I was an early adopter of the Droid and now the Thunderbolt. Despite this minor software glitch and other issues people complain about, the phone overall is still a great phone to own.
  7. luv2golf

luv2golf New Member

I have had the Thunderbolt from the date of release. I am rooted and installed the updated baseband from jcase when he released it. Never had any reboot issues.
    When I used Das BAMF 1.5, I started seeing reboots about every 2 hours.
    Since I started using BAMF stripped beta 1.1 with adrynalyne's 4.4.7 kernel, I have not had any reboots plus I get around 12-15 hrs battery life with moderate use.
    I guess this problem effects some phones but not others.
  8. UNC

UNC New Member

This is why I dumped the TB in the 15 day grace period. It was a beta release, basically the Xoom 2. By the time they get everything ironed out it will be outdated...

Someone "could" sue Verizon and HTC for this if let's say: A woman is being attacked, she pulls out her TB to call 911.... phone reboots.... woman dies....
    It may seem overblown, but that could seriously happen.

The TB should be recalled, seriously. Just allow anyone who bought one to trade out for any phone of lesser or equal value.
  9. mcgeeb

mcgeeb New Member

My Thunderbolt has no issues. I guess I'm a lucky one. :icon_ banana:
  10. BLAZETIGER

BLAZETIGER New Member

Me too. I'm running stock and have had no issues with the phone rebooting. Got my phone right before they cut off the 1yr contract option.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  11. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Except the reboot issue has plagued many phones over the past year, including the DX. It's not a case of being an early adopter, this problem is a year old and has never been addressed. It is just now hitting the newer phones coming out, that's all.
  12. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

While I am aware of the problem. I have never experienced a reboot other than my own doing (playing with speeds/voltages)
  13. SquireSCA

You may not have, but if even 1% of the TBolts out there have this issue, it is a HUUUUGE problem.

Heck in some industries, even a 1/4 of a percent failure rate is enough to issue a recall.

My girlfriend has had reboots since day 1, and I have had them on my DX for 8 months. There are more than 3 dozen threads on this forum alone about spontaneous reboots on stock, unrooted phones, as well as rooted and ROM'd ones.

it's an OS issue, and it still has not been fixed.
  14. lockman

lockman New Member

This phone is the biggest, poorest excuse to a smartphone i've experienced yet. Random reboots, force closes everywhere. Especially messaging. If I get a text while on the phone, I'm screwed. Phone locks up tight and if I'm lucky I don't have to pull the battery. I have zero faith in this device. I find myself relying more on my at&t blackberry because it works.
    I'm not rooted, can't be bothered. This thing has me so angry. And don't even get me started on this lousy screen that scratches at the slightest touch.
    \endrant

Sent from my brain using my fingers.
  15. SquireSCA

Yeah, my girl left AT&T and her iPhone 3Gs to get the TBolt and while she is very happy to not be dropping 10+ calls a day(not joking), the phone itself irritates her. It reboots pretty often, the GPS is crap and doesn't work at all half the time, and the touch screen is SOOOOOOOOO sensitive that it is constantly launching apps and doing all sorts of things by barely touching it.
  16. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Got my TB in the first couple of days of release. I'm rooted, using dosBAMF 1.6.3 now and I think I've seen 2 random reboots since I got this phone. I'm surprised to read all of a sudden everyone having reboot issues. Is this something that just started with the OTA? I've been using the leaked update and again, no reboot issues whatsoever.
  17. UNC

UNC New Member

I wish more people has actually read what I was saying within the return window instead of discounting my opinion... I said repeatedly that the TB is TRASH. There's a reason it did not get "Droid" branding......

HTC lost me forever after just 15 days with that nightmare of a device. My D1 went over a year without a random reboot.... The TB couldn't got 10 hours. It is a rushed product, they HAD to rush it out since the specs are nowhere near "class leading" had they delayed 2 months the phone would be a FREE Verizon giveaway. Charge vs TB?? Not even a contest.
  18. DROID11

DROID11 New Member

The great thing about these phones is that they have a warranty for a reason. Go swap the phone out or make a simple phone call, because it is obviously a defective unit (1-866-406-5151). As far as scratching the screen are you touching it with a razor blade or perhaps a diamond? You realize it is gorilla glass, right? It is a very durable, scratch resistant glass. The phone has issues, what brand new piece of technology doesn't? But its not as big of a deal as you're making it.
  19. UNC

UNC New Member

A warranty will only net you another TB if you are outside the 15 day return period. The phone obviously has issues and I'm sure many people will want to opt out.
  20. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

What's that?
Search tags for this page

thunderbolt reboot issue 2013