Verizon Also Victimized in Epsilon Hack; Users Emails Exposed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-logo-470x3101.jpg

Here's some not-so happy news for your Wednesday morning... the Secret Service is investigating the recent 'Epsilon Hack' that exposed thousands of customer emails to "the bad guys", and Verizon was named as one of the victims. They join a now growing list of almost 60 victimized companies including JPMorgan Chase & Co, Kroger, Capital One Financial, TiVo and Best Buy. The security breach occurred on March 30 at the marketing company Epsilon, which houses a database of marketing emails for all of these companies. Here's a quote from the Slashgear story,
Verizon sent subscribers emails late on Tuesday evening informing them that their data had been compromised. “Epsilon has assured us that the information exposed was limited to email addresses,” the email claims, “and that no other information about you or your account was exposed.”
The Secret Service suspects that these compromised emails will be used in a Phishing scam and are investigating. Gee... ya think?

Source: Slashgear

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Verizon has several interests. Which accounts were compromised? Was it their residential ISP email listings, their business email listings, or their wireless email listings?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any email from vz stating this so far. Just checked. Maybe the wireless area isnt effected?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't think we're affected, I didn't get anything either.

However my email is probably connected to one of the tens of dozens of other potential targets anyway so whatever. Internet security is a total joke anymore, read something from this morning that the number of focused attacks increased something like 94% from 2009 to 2010.

The future is bleak for the net my friends.

sincitygrrrl1

Reaction score
I got the letter, on my home Fios email address...Grrrr. Thankfully I'm smart enough to never click on anything in an email. When I use to use Ebay and Paypal I would get those emails all the time telling me my acct was shut down due to suspisous activity and asking my to click and log in, ect....delete, delete, delete!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Do we need to change our emails with Verizon?

The damage is done, I wouldn't worry about it. Just exercise caution with suspicious mail, especially related to bank accounts or address information.

neimand

Reaction score
I got an email from my bank but not big red. makes ya feel warm n fuzzy

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
I received many of these warning messages from the following companies
Best Buy
Target
JP Morgan
Walgreens
Marriott

My messages started rolling in at 130 Monday and continued into Tuesday. I do not click links in emails. If I am interested I open Chrome and go to the site.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't got one from Verizon, I don't think but I did get one form Chase, TiVo, and Time Warner.

Maybe I did get one from Verizon as well. Nothing I can do about it so I trashed it.

LTLFTCer

Reaction score
The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if the "bad guys" didn't pay to have the ability to hack into this information. I have received about 4 emails on this so far, but none from Verizon however.