Verizon abandoning Droid marketing campaign!?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by dilloff, Nov 25, 2009.

1. dilloff

dilloff New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was disappointed to read that Verizon is going to close down their @DroidDoes twitter feed the other day. It prompted these thoughts about the "Droid Does" marketing campaign:

Verizon Abandoning the Droid Attack? | GottaBeMobile.com

What do you guys think of Verizon shutting down their twitter feed and weakening their Droid assault?

2. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0

The TV ad's and print is working well. Twitter isn't what it once was anyways.

3. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    Dribble. Just one opinion....

As for Twitter... VZW just used it to create buzz, and there's plenty of buzz. Besides... twitter in my eyes is for teeny boppers. I don't care if you just wiped front to back... there's no need to post it.

4. LordKastle

LordKastle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is just the Twitter feed.

Think about it. What did the Droid have to do to send a message to its competition? It has to show it would not back down. It had to send a right uppercut to the jaw of its competition to show it was for real. It did that. Shock and awe will get you noticed, but its the quality that will stand the test of time. We can thank Motorola for developing this at a time where their doubters were plenty. Motorola was failing and had to come up with a device that would save its future. It did that.

(Who do they say is most dangerous? The one who has its back against the wall...with nothing else left to lose.)

The Droid stands alone. We do not need endless amount of iPhone references. Why? Let the Droid carve its own path. The Droid does not have iPhone envy. I do not want a phone that is like the iPhone..I want a phone that is superior.

The community must stay strong. This war is not over. But do not let a Twitter feed discourage you. We are carving a new niche in the cellular/mobile field.

(That all being said..if the Twitter feed lived on ---it wouldn't hurt )

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +0
    No it wouldn't hurt... but as you said the DROID army is assembling.

6. keiichi25

keiichi25 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, shutting down a Twitter page doesn't mean it is 'giving up'.

Also twitter is not the 'end all' for marketing, in my opinion. But you also can't just 'twitter' all the time to keep interest in something.

But something to consider:

Twitter

I just did that right now, and Droid itself is taking a life of its own. It doesn't need Verizon to 'tweet' about it to get people to keep talking about it. 13 Tweets at the time I looked at it within 5 minutes of that request.

The thing you have to understand, is putting it in proper perspective.

Marketing is all about getting you to buy something, even though you might not want it. The campaign is still far from over, but does not need Verizon people to gibber about it, just having people like us talking about it or posting something to either encourage others to go for it not go for it.

7. NegativeX

NegativeX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As of this morning, I saw two more Droid commercials while watching the Today show.

Looks like the advertising campaign still persists.

8. juliem

juliem New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That twitter account was always meant to be temporary--it was just created to establish buzz and support in the first few weeks of release. (I've been following it on twitter for awhile now). I did read a tweet earlier this week, or maybe last, that VZW will keep it live for a bit longer, as folks didn't want it to disappear. Honestly, there are better Droid tweeters to follow; DroidDoes doesn't provide much useful information--it mostly announces that NYC voice search capability, and RTs other questions.

9. SoCal65

SoCal65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DroidDoes may stay....

Droid (DroidDoes) on Twitter

All marketing is, and should be, multifaceted. Twitter plays its part, just like the rest.

It should stay.

Any of you on Twitter, send a message with a @ reply to DroidDoes letting them know what you think - and follow them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009