Verizon 4G?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question....What do you think the odds are that the first-gen LTE handsets will be able to seamlessly switch to 3G and offer as good of quality as 3G only handsets?

I'd hate to have an AT&T-like device that is great around the house and lousy pretty much everywhere else.

No need to speculate. Sprint has 4G now and their new HTC evo seamlessly connects to 3G and 4G where it's available.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Verizon would do an over the air update for the phones that can support 4G. It would mean a lot of work on Verizon's part but it can be done

Which at this time there are Zero LTE phones on VZW.

OP
Chharith

Chharith

Reaction score
eeek

Thanks for the Quick replies. Well, Im off to upgrade my phone now.

You should just get a 1 year contract. You'll have to pay an extra $50 or $100 for the phone, but it'll be worth it.

/CRY I just ordered my Droid X. with a new 2 year contract.. Doggammit Imma be soo pissed if Verizon 4G releases way before I can upgrade.

Zargon

Reaction score
Thanks for the Quick replies. Well, Im off to upgrade my phone now.

You should just get a 1 year contract. You'll have to pay an extra $50 or $100 for the phone, but it'll be worth it.

/CRY I just ordered my Droid X. with a new 2 year contract.. Doggammit Imma be soo pissed if Verizon 4G releases way before I can upgrade.

I've been able to upgrade early (at the 1 year mark) when I signed a new 2 year contract. I wouldn't worry about it.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Well if you're not the main line on your account get ready to be pissed. 4G is being released in November

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Chharith

Chharith

Reaction score
Well if you're not the main line on your account get ready to be pissed. 4G is being released in November

I am the Main Line on my account,
and I am pissed, and I havnt even got my X in the mail yet.

mottling

Reaction score

I am the Main Line on my account,
and I am pissed, and I havnt even got my X in the mail yet.

I ordered the Incredible on a 2-year contract. I originally planned to get it on a 1-year contract, but it slipped my mind as I was signing up multiple devices and negotiating with the rep.

I called Customer Service and they said I could change the contract to a 1-year, and my account would be charged the difference ($70 in this case). They said I would have to wait until I got the device, so that I could give them the ESN.

This may be an elaborate lie so I don't cancel until the device is shipped, in which case I would be incredibly angry. Nonetheless, it's worth mentioning.

R

RETG

The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

Really?

Statment from Richard J. Lynch, Verizon Executive VP & Chief Technology Officer,Worcester, MA - June 14, 2010

"Since I believe so strongly in LTE as an enabling platform for the future, let me start by updating you on Verizon's 4G plans. 2010 is the year in which we will make LTE a commercial reality in the U.S. We're currently in the final stages of our pre-commercial testing in Boston and Seattle. Later this year, we'll turn up LTE coverage for one-third of the U.S. population, or 100 million POPs as the industry likes to call it. By 2013, Verizon's LTE network will grow to match or exceed our current 3G footprint. And because the 700 MHz spectrum we're using for this deployment is assigned to Verizon on a nationwide basis, we intend to keep going and bring 4G services to even more of the country."

ExecutiveCenter | 2nd_Invitational_Workshop_on_Opportunistic_RF_Localization_for_Next_Generation_Wireless_Devices

Now in rural Southeaster Utah, I don't expect to see service until around late 2011, but by mid 2012. I say that because the person who owns some of the towers around here has stated, that Verizon will be updating the local towers starting the Summer of 2011. Why would they be updating if it was not for LTE. How long it takes to upgrade the equipment is the big question.

R

RETG

Nothing is said at LTE Information Center

Yes it is, go to the 5/13/10 link:

05/13/2010

WHO:
</STRONG>Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest and most reliable wireless voice and 3G data network WHAT:
Video news release, “Verizon Wireless Boston 4G LTE Trial,” which includes:
  • Real-world, on-screen comparison of tomorrow’s 4G and today’s 3G wireless data speeds
  • Customer reactions to the company’s next-generation, high-speed wireless broadband network
  • Verizon Wireless executive sound bites on future capabilities of the 4G LTE network, which will roll out in 25 to 30 markets by the end of this year

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I was looking for an actual date......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I think the whole concept of moving to a 4G world is kind of exciting, even if it does require getting a new phone as part of the deal. My only concern is the ability to *root* that new phone - whatever it turns out to be.

-Mike

R

RETG

I was looking for an actual date......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sorry.

I have heard turn on being Nov. 15, that was in an article I read a few weeks ago in the Salt Lake paper. But, that was just an article. however, the date toward the end of the year.:)

vzwtek

Reaction score
The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

Remember the cardinal rule when announcing new technologies.

Underpromise, and overdeliver, you will see 2 devices for sure, possibly 2 and 1 handset, and at least 45-55 markets with LTE by the end of the year. Unfortunately, tiered pricing on data. But you will like the tiers. The pricing wont be ridiculous.