Verizon 4G phone with physical keyboard rumor, Merge??

JKingDev

Reaction score
Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

I really, really wish the Fruit would stop being mentioned in every goddamn thread.

And as for the merge, it did look like a sweet phone. I have a nagging suspicion that what our dear friend on twitter means is that the Merge has not been scrapped, but simply has been modified to add 4G, and possibly a few other frills. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

I think it will definitely have LTE. Gingerbread + updated sense I think is also very likely since release is pushed to feb/march. A dual core proc is very possible but that would be reaching a little.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

I really, really wish the Fruit would stop being mentioned in every goddamn thread.

And as for the merge, it did look like a sweet phone. I have a nagging suspicion that what our dear friend on twitter means is that the Merge has not been scrapped, but simply has been modified to add 4G, and possibly a few other frills. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

I think it will definitely have LTE. Gingerbread + updated sense I think is also very likely since release is pushed to feb/march. A dual core proc is very possible but that would be reaching a little.

not a huge reach, i'd assume most devices from here on out (that haven't already been churning around the rumor mill) will have dual core.... time will tell.

JKingDev

Reaction score

not a huge reach, i'd assume most devices from here on out (that haven't already been churning around the rumor mill) will have dual core.... time will tell.
True. Since it is being announced after the thunderbolt and therefore will be released after, it is getting pretty close to the dual core phone age. And HTC already has had these for a while. The MSM8660 looks like a good fit if the merge will still be a world phone since it supports multiple wireless standards (see link). How do the qualcomm chips stack up against the terga 2?

stonecaster

Reaction score
missed their window. The G2 and the Evo Shift already out. Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

Wow! I thought I hated the Iphone and loved a physical keyboard. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

jim1969

Reaction score
missed their window. The G2 and the Evo Shift already out. Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

Wow! I thought I hated the Iphone and loved a physical keyboard. Thanks for straightening that out for me.

I like physical keyboards too. But the iphone is universally accepted as easy to type on and use. Wasn't trying to straighten anyone out. Want to bet on how many more iPhones sell than the Merge (if it ever comes out)? I'd say 50 iphones to every 1 merge.

JKingDev

Reaction score

I like physical keyboards too. But the iphone is universally accepted as easy to type on and use. Wasn't trying to straighten anyone out. Want to bet on how many more iPhones sell than the Merge (if it ever comes out)? I'd say 50 iphones to every 1 merge.
I dont know what you mean by "universally accepted." The iphone is not a god phone. It is no easier to type on than any other similar touchscreen phone (ie android). I hate typing on iphones. And I have seen plenty of texts with typos due to the iphone's autocorrect. Things like autocorrect and swype just try to make up for the deficiency of touchscreen keyboards. They do a good job but at the end of the day if you really need to type you need a keyboard. If all you do is type a few 160 char texts everyday sure a keyboard may not be necessary for you. If you actually make use of the handheld computer you paid for a keyboard is a great feature.

And of course the iphone will sell more than the merge the sameway a macbook outsells an hp tm2t (I love my tablet :p). Who cares? The iphone is a product. Amdroid is a platform. Just as windows overall outsells mac, android overall outsells iphones and it gobbling marketshare. The majority of those who bought the iphone 4 had a previous iphone. Im betting a large proportion of those who buy the vzw iphone will be coming from the att iphone. With android you dont just have one choice of device and two carriers. You have options. Android is much bigger than one or two products.

What I like about google is that they are actually trying to change the industry. With products like google voice and the nexus line they are trying to break the carrier control paradigm and put your mobile device and services back in your control. Apple is just feeding into the same carrier control BS. Not trying to turn this thread into an Apple vs Android debate but comments like "the iphone will outsell the merge anyway" are just pointless and irrelevant. Can this thread move forward without mentioning the itoy again?

steveash1006

Reaction score

I dont know what you mean by "universally accepted." The iphone is not a god phone. It is no easier to type on than any other similar touchscreen phone (ie android). I hate typing on iphones. And I have seen plenty of texts with typos due to the iphone's autocorrect. Things like autocorrect and swype just try to make up for the deficiency of touchscreen keyboards. They do a good job but at the end of the day if you really need to type you need a keyboard. If all you do is type a few 160 char texts everyday sure a keyboard may not be necessary for you. If you actually make use of the handheld computer you paid for a keyboard is a great feature.

And of course the iphone will sell more than the merge the sameway a macbook outsells an hp tm2t (I love my tablet :p). Who cares? The iphone is a product. Amdroid is a platform. Just as windows overall outsells mac, android overall outsells iphones and it gobbling marketshare. The majority of those who bought the iphone 4 had a previous iphone. Im betting a large proportion of those who buy the vzw iphone will be coming from the att iphone. With android you dont just have one choice of device and two carriers. You have options. Android is much bigger than one or two products.

What I like about google is that they are actually trying to change the industry. With products like google voice and the nexus line they are trying to break the carrier control paradigm and put your mobile device and services back in your control. Apple is just feeding into the same carrier control BS. Not trying to turn this thread into an Apple vs Android debate but comments like "the iphone will outsell the merge anyway" are just pointless and irrelevant. Can this thread move forward without mentioning the itoy again?
*hug*dancedroid

steveash1006

Reaction score
yeah no i hate apple they are a bunch of Nazis and i hate virtual keyboards they are about as useful as a virtual girlfriend apples little cult of people need to hurry up with the cult ritual we are all aware eventually happens to all cults

jim1969

Reaction score
yeah no i hate apple they are a bunch of Nazis and i hate virtual keyboards they are about as useful as a virtual girlfriend apples little cult of people need to hurry up with the cult ritual we are all aware eventually happens to all cults
What happens? They copy Oracle sourcecode?:)

JKingDev

Reaction score
What happens? They copy Oracle sourcecode?:)
What is your purpose in this thread? Why are you here? Why not spend your time at an iphone board? Google did not copy oracle code. They used it exactly how it is offered to use. To test and build their own code. None of it ships with android. Go read.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/...ons-of-mass-destruction-found-in-android/2162

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score

Actually Apple has taken away pretty much ALL of the carrier control over their device. AT&T have no say over what comes on the phone, when updates come out, or what will be in the updates... android on the other hand is a blank slate which the carriers can load up with crapware.

It has nothing to do with the Merge or Sprint's version, the Shift 4G though.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

JKingDev

Reaction score

Actually Apple has taken away pretty much ALL of the carrier control over their device. AT&T have no say over what comes on the phone, when updates come out, or what will be in the updates... android on the other hand is a blank slate which the carriers can load up with crapware.

It has nothing to do with the Merge or Sprint's version, the Shift 4G though.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Not in the same sense. Apple was able to wrestle with the carriers so they could lock you down into their own services. Dont get me wrong, the fact that apple can directly deliver updates ect to their device is great. But they are not doing it to change the industry. They are doing it for their own benefits and profits. When I say google is changing the industry I mean they are trying to change the paradigm that your phone is locked down to a specific carrier. They are trying to change the fact that you buy your phone from the same company you pay for the phone service. They want the carrier to be the "dumb pipe" like it should be. Thats why they sell the nexus line unlocked. Thats why they have services like google voice and are starting to get the SIP ball rolling. Thats why they pushed for things like the openness requirement for the 700 MHz spectrum. Verizon's nation wide LTE network is open. To access the LTE network you use a SIM card. When Verizon's LTE network coverage is nationwide by 2013 you will be able to go to bestbuy and purchase an unlocked nexus and throw in a verizon SIM and get LTE. What is apple doing to push openness? Everything they sell is to try to lock you down. Purchase music with itunes? Well you are gonna have to get an iphone or ipod to play it.

I am not trying to turn this into an android vs apple debate. I respect both platforms' capabilities but obviously I choose android for many reasons. If you want to continue this discussion create a new thread in an appropriate forum and invite me to join the discussion. This thread is about HTC Merge rumors. Please no more android or iphone bashing.

EpicSkull Inked

Reaction score
I love my droidx. Don't need keybroad. More parts more problems. One day physical keybroad will be the past.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jbdow

Reaction score
Well i hope not, but i would settle for a "heads up display"

r, john