Verizon 4G LTE Unlimited Data Customers Can Get Separate $30 Unlimited Tethering

jseah

Reaction score
I got my Droid Charge two days ago and I want the mobile Hotspot, but only if it is with an unlimited data plan. When I got the Charge, the rep said there was no unlimited plan for the Hotspot, on 2GB for $20. Two days earlier, a rep at the same store told me that I could get the unlimited mobile hotspot for $30/mo. So I got the Charge, but no hotspot. So should I just go around to the different stores until I get a rep to say $30/mo unlimited mobile hotspot? Seems that way.

What happens now when you run the Mobile Hotspot app on your Charge? According to the Verizon Droid Charge manual on page 78: "For a limited time, Mobile Hotspot and Mobile Broadband Connect services are available on this device for no additional charge. When the promotional period expires, you will need to subscribe to the applicable service to continue using the application".

Does the app tell you that you are in the promotional period, or is it telling you to sign up for a 2GB plan?

I clicked the Mobile Hotspot app on my Home Screen #3, and nothing happened on the phone. Also went to Settings/Wireless & network/Mobile Hotspot and nothing happened. AND It did NOT show up on my laptop's list of wireless networks available. I assume I would have to go to the VZW store to have it enabled (or call it in). Hey if it is available at NO EXTRA CHARGE, then I'd at least like to try it. I wonder if I can have record with video recorder on the phone, but have the screen on something else so the VZW rep won't know that I'm recording them? I'd like to see their face when they deny that they said something or that even the rep I spoke to actually works there(that's what happened last time). I wonder if their legal representatives are "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe".

Contact your store. Maybe they never set up mobile hotspot on your account when you got the Charge? On my Thunderbolt, when I click the Mobile Hotspot app on Home Screen #3, it starts up, I get a splash screen saying that it is currently free for a limited time, and then allows me to turn it on and configure the encryption and the password. Once on, any WiFi device
will detect the hotspot.

N4UPD

Reaction score
I used the hotspot yesterday before the free time ended so I might be grandfathered in. Will wait till the update comes out and see what the options are.2gb for $20 or unlimited for $30 .

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
I has told that if you switch your phone or upgrade after July 7th, you have to take up the tiered plans. My sister and I already have an unlimited 3g plan, but I want to upgrade to the Charge in August. Will I be able to just switch over my unlimited 3g to 4g or will I have to take the tiered plans? (If I can't, I find that to be stupid)

You're talking about two different things. One is the data plan itself. If you have an unlimited data plan now on a 3G smartphone, you will get to keep unlimited if you upgrade to a 4G smartphone.

The other thing, which this thread is about, is the tethering plan. If you have a 4G tethering plan now, after July 7th you can get unlimited tethering for $30. If you have a 3G smartphone now, and upgrade to a 4G after July 7th, then you will only be able to get 2GB of tethering for $20, plus overages.
Yeah sorry about that. I didn't realize this was about tethering. Thanks for the info though, now I think I will stick with Verizon and get the Charge.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put much faith in unlimited tethering... Verizon already lied about unlimited data usage that's not truly unlimited.

sent from my ApeX

how much did they charge you for overages last month on your unlimited data?

ARorlando

Reaction score
According to the store, they're still denying 'unlimited tethering' and 'unlimited hotspot' for $30.

In my opinion, I'm willing to pay $60/month for data plan & unlimited hotspot. It's the Unlimited HotSpot that does it for me. My minivan would be the ultimate HotSpot for me and my family as we drive the kids around.

I would make use of the 'unlimited hotspot', but if it proves to NOT be the case, then I will just cancel the new LG Revolution within my two weeks and pay the $35 re-stocking fee.

Now, I'm fretting over which LTE phone. I'll check another thread for that. Good luck to all with this. Only a few hours left to make any changes.

bdubya24

Reaction score
Is this some kind of breech of contract on their part? Tethering up to 3 laptops on the plan with my Thunderbolt was one of the big talked about selling points with this phone/plan. Now they are simply taking it away? I think EVERYONE who currently has the phone/plan should be grandfathered in and anyone after the fact pays. This is B.S.

ARorlando

Reaction score
I was told, by VZW, that data plans are not part of the contract that determines if you cancel a plan without an ETF.

We have the Nationwide Plus Canada which gives us free calls to, from, and within Canada, without any long distance and roaming. When we were in Canada, we had to pay $65 for unlimited data. They have now changed it to $100 for 200 MB.

We are stuck with this until the contract runs out.

jseah

Reaction score
Is this some kind of breech of contract on their part? Tethering up to 3 laptops on the plan with my Thunderbolt was one of the big talked about selling points with this phone/plan. Now they are simply taking it away? I think EVERYONE who currently has the phone/plan should be grandfathered in and anyone after the fact pays. This is B.S.

How is this a breach of contract? They always said that the unlimited tethering was free for a limited time. Originally when the Thunderbolt was released, it was free until May 15 and you had to pay after that. When the release of the Charge was delayed, they extended the free tethering until June 15. When June 15 came, they extended it until July 6.

Never did Verizon every promise that free tethering was part of a 4G data plan.

What Verizon is doing is giving EVERYONE who currently has the phone/plan unlimited tethering for $30. Anyone after the fact gets only 2GB for $20 and they have to pay $10 for each GB above that. Verizon is rewarding you for being an early adopter.

jseah

Reaction score

Does this mean that if I go to a car dealership and buy a new car and the manufacturer has a promotion where your maintenance (i.e. oil changes) are covered for the first year, is it a breach of contract that I have to pay for my own oil changes after the first year?

anewday

Reaction score
For those with 4G phones, do you see a $30 unlimited hotspot option?

vatothe0

Reaction score
I was told, by VZW, that data plans are not part of the contract that determines if you cancel a plan without an ETF.

We have the Nationwide Plus Canada which gives us free calls to, from, and within Canada, without any long distance and roaming. When we were in Canada, we had to pay $65 for unlimited data. They have now changed it to $100 for 200 MB.

We are stuck with this until the contract runs out.

Had you kept the $64.99 feature on your phone, you could have kept it until your contact ran out. Why would verizon be obligated to continue to offer a feature you aren't subscribed to?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

N4UPD

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using their 4g hotspot today to see what happens? I'm too scared to lol.Scared that the 2gb for $20 option pops up. I used the hotspot on the 5th with my old iphone 3g on wifi to hopefully get grandfathered in on the $30 unlimited plan.Don't know if that was enough to get in.

soondolee

Reaction score
some1 from other forum comfirmed that he or she upgraded to the unlimited hot spot for 30 bucks.