Verizon 4G LTE sucks - why aren't there more posts?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you'll be able to do. Since more than just you in your area are experiencing this, and you've already tried multiple devices, and lots of people here are having zero 4G problems, it's a solid bet that it's the service in your area. Maybe there are a lot of people on the 4G network. Maybe the network isn't totally ready yet. Tampa, Florida is just one place in the US, and Verizon is working on rolling out lots of new networks and expanding current networks pretty regularly.

Butchauto

Reaction score
I have a thunderbolt and live in tampa as well. 3 months ago I started having the exact same problem with 4g. My worst complaint is it zaps my battery because it is constantly searching for signal. I called and called verizon. Finally I talked to someone who had a real answer. Whether it is true or not, he said tampa is going through an expansion period. Which means they are adding and changing towers. He said many people are complaining about it here. He reported my problem and is supposed to update me. For now the only solution he gave me was to keep it on 3g only. It has worked for the last 3 days.
I too am very unhappy about all this, but I don't know what else to do..

Butchauto

Reaction score
I received an email today claiming that my problem was resolved. I presume this means that the upgrades to the network here are complete. I have to admit, my 4g worked much better today. So I guess time will tell...

sme68

Reaction score
For those in Tampa w/ 4G problems check to see if your phone has a software update. I have DROID RAZR and was having lots of issues this past month and went into store and asked about network issues. They said check for software update. There was one available even though I hadn't received a notice like I normally do. I haven't had a problem since the update (fyi- my update was to 4.0.4 ice cream sandwich)

OP
P

paramax55

Reaction score
I'm not willing to call it "fixed" yet, but it's not been nearly as bad for me, either, over the last couple of days. My wife has a razr and just did the OTA to ics. She says her problem is solved. It looks as if Verizon has been doing some updating. I would say it's in preparation for the RNC, but I had big problems in Miami, too. It was a problem over a large area.

The question I have is: If an upgrade needed to be done, 1) why was everything OK until they started upgrading - then it went to crap? And 2) If they knew what they needed to do, why did it take so long to do it?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The question I have is: If an upgrade needed to be done, 1) why was everything OK until they started upgrading - then it went to crap? And 2) If they knew what they needed to do, why did it take so long to do it?

Any large network will have issues as it grows and expands. Some issues can be caused by misconfiguration of switches and routers, some with the firmware on the actual cell site equipment itself. A (comparatively) small corporate network will have issues as it grows and expands, something on a nationwide scale can only be expected to have MORE issues. It wasn't all sunshine and roses when the 3G network came about, either. As for issues creeping up during the expansion, it's possible that there are multiple towers on the same network "segment" and maybe the new ones have later firmware on their base station equipment. Firmware inconsistencies among devices on the same network segment cause connectivity issues, unfortunately. It's the nature of the beast. We had major issues with our wifi network at work until we went around and updated all of the access points to the latest firmware. Simply because the access points weren't "talking to each other" correctly.