Verizon 4.5.608 OTA update breaks ability to root Droid 2 Global

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jfeldredge, Oct 18, 2011.

1. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

I allowed my phone to install the 4.5.608.A956.Verizon.en.US OTA update this morning. As I expected, it patched the phone so that Titanium Backup could not get root status. Disappointingly, it also apparently patched the exploit used by the Motorola OneClickRoot script. When I ran that script, it claimed to have successfully rooted the phone, but had not actually done so, as apps such as Titanium Backup report that they are unable to get root status. I also tried Z4Root, which hangs indefinitely when you try to get permanent root.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or will I just have to wait for someone to find out a new technique?
  2. basehead3six

basehead3six New Member

I am wondering the same thing.
  3. WayJak

WayJak New Member

I updated mine to 4.5.608 this morning. Then used "Pete's Motorola Root Tools" and everything rooted fine! Hope this helps!!
  4. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

I tried that; it said that it had rooted the phone, but did not do so. I will download the tool again tonight, and try again, just in case there has been an update since I last downloaded it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  5. Preacherboybaptist

Preacherboybaptist New Member

Hi my phone is running gingerbread, but I was wondering if there is anyway to delete stock apps? Like the amazon music thingy that is always taking my ram.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL Gingerbread using DroidForums
  6. DroidXJoel

DroidXJoel New Member

Preacherboy you want to create a new subject to get proper help. Anyway you need to root your phone and then download an app to remove bloatware. I use no bloat free from market place. Works great and you can delete and back it up so if you delete something and want it back you can restore it

Sent from my Rooted Droid Bionic
  7. ascanius

ascanius New Member

Hey so I accidently updated my phone and along with it no longer being rooted it is slow very slow and prone to freeze, I end up haveing to remove the battery and restart the phone. Also for what ever reason it I had to reinstall the app for droid forums. Also now I cannot even connect it to my computer the drivers won't install correctly, everything worked fine befor this accursed update. Is there any possibility of seening a new root hack in the near future and anyway to fix these few bugs that I have now. It was never this slow before.

8. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

9. Fujisawa_Rob

Fujisawa_Rob New Member

I inadvertently updated mine too. Gingerbreak 1.2 doesn't work either. This phone was previously rooted on 2.2 using 'rage against the cage'.
  10. ascanius

ascanius New Member

Does this work for the D2G, I tried petes one click method but iit didn't work it recomended that I unistall the previous root and su but whan I did this nothing happened. I unrooted the phone using the unroot feature in the one click method only. Sould I manually unistall the su from the phone then run the one click root.

11. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

I tried removing the Superuser package, but it didn't remove the /system/bin/su binary, and I can't remove su manually, since; without the phone being rooted, the file system is read-only, other than the SD card.

12. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

reverted to older firmware and then rooted the phone

I found instructions at Motorola Droid 2 Global: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki on how to flash the 2.4.3300 version of the firmware back onto the phone, so I have done so and then rooted it. Since the version of Cyanogenmod for the Droid 2 Global has not yet been officially released, I decided to hold off on installing Cyanogenmod until after the beta testing has been done.
  13. jfeldredge

jfeldredge New Member

I have now installed Cyanogenmod 7.

14. 4173004425nlc

4173004425nlc New Member

dislike

here i had my system rooted and everything had the old software went throught and downloaded sf whatever and reload orginal software on the phone then did a update work great but now i cant teather free! like i did and i cant root my phone now plus the newest update is laggy bad like when i dail someones it takes a little for it to come up and the buffer on pandora thats new! dont like that anyways so there is no way root the newest update on droid two if not what is a free teather that i can use? i dont have high speed were i live i was using wireless teather but cant use that now because cant root the phone. i can live with the laggy stuff if someone helps me on teather for free.
  15. Chelovek

Chelovek New Member

Pete's Root Tools Worked

Pete's root tools worked for me today. I had just updated to 4.5.608 a few hours ago. Went smooth as silk. I verified rooting with Root Explorer and saw everything.

A suggestion I heard on a previous install of Z4root suggested multiple consecutive attempts. It worked. Maybe you need to run pete"s a couple more time to see if it takes? Good Luck!
  16. 4173004425nlc

4173004425nlc New Member

hey that worked

wow that did work thanks man, got that all done still have a issue with the wireless tether it wants to bring up verzion 3g spot page. also what is the super user key 0000000 right?
  17. Chelovek

Chelovek New Member

Lingering VZW Hotspot

Mine is too. I thought I *.bak'ed it out, but I must have missed something. I was goulg to try a different wifi tether. I attempted this with the Barnacle WiFi Tether. Which ones have you tried?
  18. 4173004425nlc

4173004425nlc New Member

easy tethering,1 click tethering,android tethering im using easy right now but it only works through usb, i get this binary thing comes up now on super user # update but it wants a key ive try last 4 digits of my number also tried 0000 dont know what it is, anybody get the wireless going yet i paid 10 dollars for that easy one but the wireless still comes up with that verizon page.
  19. G3T_UR_0WN_W1F1

G3T_UR_0WN_W1F1 New Member

i wouldn't recommend un-rooting the DROID 2 Global after the update. I've heard reports of the system bricking... -__-
    so not a good idea right now. I'm disappointed with this update as well. i am now just waiting for a way to root it again... hopefully Pete's will be able to find a way or someone by some random miracle can do it.
Search tags for this page
4.5.608.a956.verizon.en.us

4.5.608 droid 2 global

608 root
droid 2 global 2.3.3 4.5.608 root?
droid 2 global 608
droid 2 global 608 root

jailbreak droid 2 global verizon

jailbreak verizon droid 2
ota 608 droid 2 global
remove verizon droid 2 global
update 6.5.608 droid 2 global