Verizon 3G Coverage with Droid...Question

Habs Forever

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am from northern New Jersey, a hotbed of communications where it seems there isn't one square inch without perfect reception from most carriers. Next fall, I am going to be going off to Morgantown, West Virginia to attend West Virginia University. Recently, I toured there, and I took a route the went into Pennsylvania, down through Maryland, then west into West Virginia. I went with my mother, who drove, and we needed the assistance of my Google Maps app quite frequently both on the way there and once in Morgantown. About half way through Pennsylvania, everything short of texts and calls stopped working. All my internet related apps just wouldn't load anything. When on the unlock screen, instead of where it would say "Verizon Wireless," it said "Extended Network." What does this mean?

It's not that I couldn't have done without my phone for the weekend I was there, but we needed Google Maps, so when messing around with the phone, I turned on roaming data, and was able to do everything again. Twitter, Google Maps, Gmail, they all came back. Once I'm living there full time, am I going to have to have it on this setting 24/7? Can I make a call to Verizon and tell them that I'll be living there so it shouldn't be roaming?

I'm sure I don't understand this even a little bit, so if someone could enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
It's not that I couldn't have done without my phone for the weekend I was there, but we needed Google Maps, so when messing around with the phone, I turned on roaming data, and was able to do everything again. Twitter, Google Maps, Gmail, they all came back. Once I'm living there full time, am I going to have to have it on this setting 24/7? Can I make a call to Verizon and tell them that I'll be living there so it shouldn't be roaming?

Ouch. Watch your bill. That could come back to bite you in the butt.

It's not about where you're living -- it's where Verizon has coverage. If they don't have coverage there, they have to piggy-back off of another carrier's network. That's when you start racking up roaming charges. Roaming charges for voice is bad enough... roaming charges for data will likely require taking out a second mortgage.

Were you out in the sticks or something when it switched to roaming?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Though I'm not surprised that roaming might be required in the wilds of southern Pennsylvania where the 20th century is expected to arrive anytime now, I'm very surprised that VZW would not have good 3g coverage in and around Morgantown considering it's a major university town.

On the other hand, one can be surprised where good coverage doesn't show up, sometimes as a result of local politics that impact placement of cell phone towers. And in mountainous regions like West Virginia, the problem is exacerbated.

As the previous poster suggested, get in touch with Verizon and get some assurance you won't be "roaming" while you're in Morgantown. I'd even suggest getting some documentation of that assurance. Otherwise, you're likely to be paying more for phone coverage than for tuition.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Make sure you've updated your PRL's. Preferred Roaming List. If you don't do this from time to time you may lose coverage even when coverage is available. Dial *228 option 2.

OP
H

Habs Forever

Reaction score
Oh god, I'm a little afraid of my bill now.

I was kind of in the middle of nowhere when switching to roaming initially, but I had to keep it on in Morgantown which intrigued me, a town that certainly isn't in the sticks at all. Very big college town, too.

Well, what would be my long term solution for this when I go there? Should I have to suffer through a downgrade to a normal phone that doesn't need 3G like an Envy Touch or something, or should I consider (gasp) switching networks to something that covers there?

Jordie

Reaction score
I would assume college campus would have WiFi. I would probably use WiFi rather than using 3G.

OP
H

Habs Forever

Reaction score
That's true, I didn't even think of that. It just wouldn't help us on the road there, but I guess that's expected. If I go off campus though, then I'm probably lost again...?

Nick177th

Reaction score
I've been through WV three maybe four times in recent years and have only had decent phone service in Charleston.

diverken

Reaction score
I live 1 mile from a Verizon tower but i am unable to get a signal because of a mountain, i pick up a 3g data from a Verizon tower 25 miles from me (line of sight) but almost no voice signal. Ended up putting in a range extender in my house so we could use the phone for calls and wi-fi for data. The sad thing is i can get at&t at my house.

llw

Reaction score

I'm originally from WV, and drive through Morgantown several times a year. I have never been charged anything for roaming. You're probably going to be fine.

bastosero

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I am from northern New Jersey, a hotbed of communications where it seems there isn't one square inch without perfect reception from most carriers. Next fall, I am going to be going off to Morgantown, West Virginia to attend West Virginia University. Recently, I toured there, and I took a route the went into Pennsylvania, down through Maryland, then west into West Virginia. I went with my mother, who drove, and we needed the assistance of my Google Maps app quite frequently both on the way there and once in Morgantown. About half way through Pennsylvania, everything short of texts and calls stopped working. All my internet related apps just wouldn't load anything. When on the unlock screen, instead of where it would say "Verizon Wireless," it said "Extended Network." What does this mean?

I'm sure I don't understand this even a little bit, so if someone could enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys.

Well, it did say Extended Network so you're not Roaming really.

wsbsteven

Reaction score

I was kind of in the middle of nowhere when switching to roaming initially, but I had to keep it on in Morgantown which intrigued me, a town that certainly isn't in the sticks at all. Very big college town, too.

Well, what would be my long term solution for this when I go there? Should I have to suffer through a downgrade to a normal phone that doesn't need 3G like an Envy Touch or something, or should I consider (gasp) switching networks to something that covers there?

Sleep easier

Dear blah,

Thank you for your email. My name is Ebony and I welcome the opportunity to assist you with your data roaming inquiry.

If data services are available to you while traveling in an Extended Network in the United States, then there are no additional charges for data usage, as it is covered under your existing data plan. The same also applies with voice calls made in the Extended Network. No additional charges will apply based on your current Nationwide calling plan.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you today. I hope you continue to find the “Contact Us” section of verizonwireless.com a helpful option to resolve any issue you may experience the first time you email us. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Verizon Wireless customer.

Sincerely,

Ebony
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please delete it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

shoelace

Reaction score
I am a senior at WVU. Verizon does not, nor has it ever, had 3G in Morgantown. You will not be subject to roaming charges here, but you will be forced to pay $29.99 a month for a data package that is worthless. Verizon has no store within 30 minutes of here either, so do not expect service.
If you can, switch carriers. AT&T and Sprint both work well here. If you can't, downgrade phones to something that will not cause you to waste as much money. I still have to give Verizon $9.99 a month for data, but that was better than wasting the $20 a month to have a cooler phone that didn't work, or nothing for a 1990's era phone.
The university does have WiFi, but you can use that on an iPod, and with 10 months have paid for the iPod with the money you saved on you service.