Velocity Micro Reveals Two Android ICS Tablets that Will Debut at CES

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Velocity-Micro-Cruz-Tabet-t507-t510.jpg

Velocity Micro is primarily known for various memory devices, especially flash memory, although they do build other products as well, including Android tablets. Apparently, they are continuing to branch out and broaden their horizons even further by adding a couple more Android devices to their lineup, and these will sport Ice Cream Sandwich. They recently revealed that they will be debuting the two Android 4.0/ICS tabs at CES this year. The specs will be pretty decent and their pricing should be fairly competitive as well. Here's a breakdown of the 7-Inch ICS tab, called the T507 (which is expected to sell for around $150):
  • Processor Cortex A8 at 1.2GHz
  • Mali 400MHz GPU
  • 8GB of RAM
  • A front camera
  • Android 4.0
  • Access to the Amazon app store
They will also have a 9.7-inch version of the tablet, called the Cruz T510, which has the same specifications, except for the larger screen. Do these look intriguing to you?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via SlashGear

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
They are already screwed. Honestly, to me that looks too much like an iPad. Do I care, no, but Apple will.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
if the price is right...myself, along with others im sure, are just waiting for a decent tablet with a cheap price point. right now the fire would be the best bet but CM9 is still shaky

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I have a Cruz T301 and it has a slot for a 32gb memory card, so I'm sure these that are much better specs, have a slot for card. Probably just not mentioned. If it is only 8gb then that's not good. Following Amazon's Fire for storage is not a good idea. That's the one downside of the Fire.

Mine I bought mainly for an eReader and to play some games and use the document viewer. Maybe even watch converted movies. It works good.

Aparently on Slatdroid they've rooted these things. I have no interested in that, but found that interesting on such an inexpensive tablet that it would even be tried.

GBH2

Reaction score
Cortex A8? Seriously, why would anyone buy this. Try running ICS on your original droid and see how enjoyable it is.

It is tablets and phones like these that give Android a bad reputation. People buy a product with a 3 year old SoC, try to run current generation software and then complain that Android stuff is slow and freezes up.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cortex A8? Seriously, why would anyone buy this. Try running ICS on your original droid and see how enjoyable it is.

It is tablets and phones like these that give Android a bad reputation. People buy a product with a 3 year old SoC, try to run current generation software and then complain that Android stuff is slow and freezes up.

The problem with the Droid is the fact that it has 256MB of system RAM, not the fact that it has a Cortex A8 (although to be fair, the Droid's is half the speed of this tablet's A8). The Droid also does not have a Mali GPU. A 1.2GHz GPU+Mali GPU is still going to run most anything out there very well. It has very good specs for $150.00

And from what i've read (and seen on Youtube), someone is working on a CM9 (ICS) port for the Droid, and it actually works pretty well. Not fully functional, but I wouldn't die if I still had my Droid and had to use it day to day (once they fix the non functional parts).

[video=youtube;J5lSx8Hi19w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5lSx8Hi19w[/video]

GBH2

Reaction score
The problem with the Droid is the fact that it has 256MB of system RAM, not the fact that it has a Cortex A8 (although to be fair, the Droid's is half the speed of this tablet's A8). The Droid also does not have a Mali GPU. A 1.2GHz GPU+Mali GPU is still going to run most anything out there very well. It has very good specs for $150.00

And from what i've read (and seen on Youtube), someone is working on a CM9 (ICS) port for the Droid, and it actually works pretty well. Not fully functional, but I wouldn't die if I still had my Droid and had to use it day to day (once they fix the non functional parts).

[video=youtube;J5lSx8Hi19w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5lSx8Hi19w[/video]

Well, you are right that the GPU will help performance and the increase from 256MB of RAM to 512MB will help but the clock speed increase is not that important (I ran my OG Droid at 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz for a while). Despite the increased amount of RAM the Cortex A8 will have very limited memory bandwidth compared to newer designs - this makes a big difference in performance..

I do think you have a valid point though, although, IMO you may be overstating it's performance as much as I am understating it :). If they implement everything very well this tablet could have it's uses. Personally, I think most people would have a more enjoyable user experience with something with a bit more current specs.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
"More current specs"

I thought Android 4.0 is current.

Sent from my Droid1 using DroidForums