vehicle mount + garmin ball mount?

lstroyan

Reaction score
This is a beautiful set up!

Can someone tell me if the "leather" / grippy case that Verizon sells will fit into the car dock? It's strange - they sell a package with a case and a dock, but at least for the desktop dock, you can't use them together. (Since my husband has a Droid also, he uses the desktop dock and I use the case). I'd really like a car mount solution (not suction cup) for a Toyota Highlander that fits the case too. (I'm not currently using the belt clip attachment but fitting that would be icing on the cake...)

Lisa

pudah

Reaction score
This is a beautiful set up!

Can someone tell me if the "leather" / grippy case that Verizon sells will fit into the car dock? It's strange - they sell a package with a case and a dock, but at least for the desktop dock, you can't use them together. (Since my husband has a Droid also, he uses the desktop dock and I use the case). I'd really like a car mount solution (not suction cup) for a Toyota Highlander that fits the case too. (I'm not currently using the belt clip attachment but fitting that would be icing on the cake...)

Lisa

You wont be able to put the phone in either dock with a case or protector on it. The only exception to that would be if you had one of those protective films you apply to the screen and the body or if you had one that snapped on to the front and back separately, then you could work with taking pieces off to see if it snaps in, but that seems silly.

rlb

Reaction score
Pudah thanks for the write up! My G3 mount was already ordered in hopes that the ball would work with the Motorola droid mount.
Thanks for confirming it. I hope the G3 gets here before thanksgiving

pudah

Reaction score
Pudah thanks for the write up! My G3 mount was already ordered in hopes that the ball would work with the Motorola droid mount.
Thanks for confirming it. I hope the G3 gets here before thanksgiving

Everything I've ordered from them has come the next day. They are in MN and I am in WI.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my experience most good mounting solutions (i.e. not windsheild, friction or vent mount and not generic device holders) aren't cheap.

pudah

Reaction score
eek.. over $65 for the pro-fit international mount system for my car :(

They are not cheap, but they are good. If you search you may be able to find some codes you can use as a reseller, dealer, etc. for a 50% discount.

They are really good though, the quality and service. I got my stuff really fast, and any issues I've had have been dealt with by the president and free replacements, etc. This happened when I was looking to get a different mounting plate than stock and the guy sent me a few versions for free to use.

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
eek.. over $65 for the pro-fit international mount system for my car :(

They are not cheap, but they are good. If you search you may be able to find some codes you can use as a reseller, dealer, etc. for a 50% discount.

They are really good though, the quality and service. I got my stuff really fast, and any issues I've had have been dealt with by the president and free replacements, etc. This happened when I was looking to get a different mounting plate than stock and the guy sent me a few versions for free to use.

50% discount??!!

if you know something I do not, PM me :)

if not, I simply cannot afford that as much as I would love one as I am a freak about clean installs in my car

Lock-N-Load

Reaction score
so here is what I did..

After already buying a cigarette lighter mount from extreme PDA - which comes with a ProClip Droid mount using the dual T-notch system for attachment to the neck - I did a little snooping around as I loved the stealth clean ProFit system, but not the price.

Well, I found an eBay seller selling the Panavise plate - EXACTLY like the more costly ProFit plate that fits into the dash all nice and clean - for dirt cheap. I just got the Panavise plate for about $19 shipped (versus $32 retail + ship) and already have the ProClip MI-500bg mount with T-Notch back for my Droid so just bought, also off eBay, another vent mount as it has a T-Notch Swivel mount for about $7 shipped (versus $15 retail) which I will butcher for the T-Notch swivel piece to attach direct to the Panavise plate.

SO.. that means, out the door, I will have 2 complete mounts (for 2 different vehicles) for about the same or a little less than 1 complete retail ProClip: one stealth plate dash mount (the Panavise plate) with a swivel and dual T-Notch quick release ability AND I will be able to take that same ProClip droid mount piece off that and attach it to the T-Notch cigarette lighter mount neck from extreme PDA and leave that in my truck.

This complete Panavise swivel plate system was about $26 total - and will be just like the ProFit at like +$60 and the cig lighter system was $20. $46 for 2 interchangeable systems using the same T-Notch quick release system... all cheaper than the +$60 for 1 system.

Last edited:

livetoride85

Reaction score
J-Stem Attachment

I use the J stem to keep the droid out away from the dash and further to the side so it doesnt block my radio controls.

The VSM mount with the J Stem extension arm and the plate that comes with the droid car mount (the socket in the previous picture) attached to the standard sized Nuvi ball and the collar tightened down. The cradle isn't snapped on so it can be seen. On your car the mount might be in a different spot. That black arm can be removed completely by simply pulling it off. Then all that is showing is a black ball about 1/4-1/2 inch off of the dash coming from between the joint of bezel/dash. That ball will take the socket from the droid car mount too as its the same size as the one at the end of the J Stem arm.
2009-11-09141307.jpg

I was wondering how you like the J-Stem. I recently got my Pro.Fit mount and when trying to attach the J-Stem I had to use excessive force, so much that I was close to bending the metal plate. Does yours fit on smoothly? Is it possible I have a defective one? That is prior to actually installing the bracket in my car, but if I were try and attach or detach when the bracket is in I would torque the screws and bend or break something. I do not want to cause any damage to my Subi.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

pudah

Reaction score
I use the J stem to keep the droid out away from the dash and further to the side so it doesnt block my radio controls.

The VSM mount with the J Stem extension arm and the plate that comes with the droid car mount (the socket in the previous picture) attached to the standard sized Nuvi ball and the collar tightened down. The cradle isn't snapped on so it can be seen. On your car the mount might be in a different spot. That black arm can be removed completely by simply pulling it off. Then all that is showing is a black ball about 1/4-1/2 inch off of the dash coming from between the joint of bezel/dash. That ball will take the socket from the droid car mount too as its the same size as the one at the end of the J Stem arm.
2009-11-09141307.jpg

I was wondering how you like the J-Stem. I recently got my Pro.Fit mount and when trying to attach the J-Stem I had to use excessive force, so much that I was close to bending the metal plate. Does yours fit on smoothly? Is it possible I have a defective one? That is prior to actually installing the bracket in my car, but if I were try and attach or detach when the bracket is in I would torque the screws and bend or break something. I do not want to cause any damage to my Subi.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

It was definitely a tight fight. It got easier the 2nd and 3rd times. I wouldnt try installing it NOT mounted to the car. I had it in place and bolted down then applied force straight back from the ball. That way it wouldnt bend to the side but would push into the dash not against the screws. I found a twisting motion while pushing with the palm of my hand helped a great deal. The benefit is that once it's on, it's solid so it wont ever move because of gravity or the weight of whatever you have in the cradle. It is tough to get on but worth it. Take your time, push and twist, pause, push and twist, and it'll get on. If you dont have it attached and have nothing to push against it would be almost impossible.