Vanilla android + root?

dstripedape

Reaction score
I think I will be getting this phone but since it probably wont have ext. memory I'm wondering about custom roms, hacks, and teethering. Did the previous nexus use these and what was the installation process for them? I want as info about these things before I get locked in.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

prowler85

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it has a camera button....if not, the only button on the whole darn thing would be the power button, and how would you get into recovery? I'm not a dev, but on every smart phone I've had that I rooted (all of them so far - D1, DX, and Bionic), it took two keys to push to boot into recovery. Just wonderin'.....

joeybarclay

Reaction score
To get into recovery you would probably have to press the power and volume buttons. I know the last nexus didn't have an sdcard and there were roms for it.

OP
D

dstripedape

Reaction score
What about rooting? There are some essential apps that vzw will try to lockup. What was the rooting process for the previous nexus?

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about rooting? There are some essential apps that vzw will try to lockup. What was the rooting process for the previous nexus?

Different carrier. It was completely bloat free. Galaxy Nexus should be the same.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I'm definitely going to root and use a custom kernel to clock it to 1.5. I've never owned a Vanilla Android device before so I'm going to give that a go but I don't know how long I'll be able to go stock Vanilla for. Hi, I'm Dave and I'm a flashoholic. It all started when I got my OG Droid, I just had to root it and OC it and flash custom ROMs. Eventually I got hooked on Liquid ROMs and would often tweak out if I didn't flash for a day or two so I became a tester for nightlies. The last time I flashed was 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago. Thank you.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
You own an OG Droid That's very vanilla, unless you don't consider it vanilla for some reason.

Whoa... you just blew my mind. I guess I have owned a Vanilla device before, I retract that part of my previous statement.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Love the signature sbenson

mn2es1.png

Best I've seen in a long time :nerd:

screaminz2002

Reaction score
Love the signature sbenson

mn2es1.png

Best I've seen in a long time :nerd:

+1 on the sig

I have seen the rooting thing asked on several threads but haven't seen a concrete reply as to how it works without a media card. Best guess is the same way but on a "data portion" of the hard drive.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
You own an OG Droid. That's very vanilla, unless you don't consider it vanilla for some reason.

OG Droid was not vanilla. Vanilla is pure android and our beloved OG had bloatware before root. Facebook app, tweeter app, Amazon mp3 app and more, without root there was no way to get rid of those. A true vanilla device is a nexus device and Verizon never offered one.

Sent from my Sourcerized D1

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
OG Droid was not vanilla. Vanilla is pure android and our beloved OG had bloatware before root. Facebook app, tweeter app, Amazon mp3 app and more, without root there was no way to get rid of those. A true vanilla device is a nexus device and Verizon never offered one.

Ok, technically you are right. But most consider it vanilla since it never had a manufacturer skin and it only came with 3-4 pieces of bloat. Then Verizon opened the flood gates :(

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
Ok, technically you are right. But most consider it vanilla since it never had a manufacturer skin and it only came with 3-4 pieces of bloat. Then Verizon opened the flood gates :(

Oh i totally agree, OG is as close to vanilla Verizon ever had. Hopfully the Galaxy nexus will be what we are hoping for and they wont ruin it with crap.

Isaiah

Reaction score
I've moved on from my OG droid, but it wasn't entirely vanilla. maybe vanilla with nasty sprinkles. VZW put their software on it.

Last edited by a moderator: