Vacation in Mexico - wut do?

Mentalnova

Reaction score
I'll be in Cabo for a week (live in USA) so what do I need to do so I don't get screwed on the bill? Like I want to use the Google Translate app but it needs data (internet) so what's the $$/talk per min and $$/mb per data rates? Can I call Verizon for a added plan so I'm covered?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Call up Verizon and ask to be put on a Global plan. It is a monthly rate, if I recall correctly, but then you can call up and cancel it when you get back and get pro-rated for the weeks not used. Verify all this with them when you call. They also will be able to tell you if there are even cell towers that will work with your phone in the location you are headed to.

Enjoy your trip!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Alternatively, you can also buy a local sim card for use, provided your D2G is sim unlocked. I believe tech support can unlock D2G's if the account is in good standing (paid bills on time, long standing customer, etc).

sueoc

Reaction score
We were in Mexico in April 2011. I called Verizon and had our Mexico plan started the day we left and terminated the day after our return (so I could use it that last day). Cost depends on your basic plan; we have a 700 minute plan and the cost to add Mexico was about $15/month but pro-rated because we needed it for about 8 days. That didn't include texting.

Reaction score
IF you can get VZW global support (a pamphlet with phone numbers was provided with your D2G, I'm sure you can google their number) to provide you with the SIM unlock code, you can get a prepaid SIM in Mexico and use it, which will probably be cheaper than the VZW plan. You should obviously research this before you go.

silver6054

Reaction score
We were in Mexico in April 2011. I called Verizon and had our Mexico plan started the day we left and terminated the day after our return (so I could use it that last day). Cost depends on your basic plan; we have a 700 minute plan and the cost to add Mexico was about $15/month but pro-rated because we needed it for about 8 days. That didn't include texting.

OP: look at: Calling From Mexico

So calls are $0.99 per min, text received are 5c, sent are 50c per address.

Data:
$30.00 Monthly Access: 75MB ($0.005 /KB after allowance)
$100.00 Monthly Access: 200MB ($0.005 /KB after allowance)
Pay Per Use Plan: $20.48/MB $0.005/KB

So pay per use is amazingly expensive. The monthly plans are prorated, both cost and allowance, and 75MB per month is very little for an Android phone. (I was in Canada for three days, and I got the plan for the whole month, just to make sure I got the full 75MB, at $20 per MB you don't want to go over).

This is why local sims make much more sense!