V0.4 Goes Bad, really bad - Help

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by rickt1152, Jun 30, 2010.

1. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure exactly what happened. I made the progression from rooted 2.1 stock to the original Froyo leak. Upgraded to the follow up leak and then to the original BB Froyo 0.1 (I believe). Upgraded to 0.21 and was still not completely happy with the performance. Moved over to Simply Stunning 4.1 and then 4.2, and then back to BB 0.3. While not significantly different, better I felt like each version things did seem to improve, and no issues moving from rom to rom. I for the most part used Rom Manager for all the upgrades past BB 0.21 without wiping.

I have Titanium Backup donate version and had current backups as well as both CW and Sprecovery backups as well. I felt pretty secure given the history and my backups. I should note that I had many/most third party application (without widgets) on my SD card. I used Titanium Backup to move the apps to the SD card for the most part and the stock settings - manage - applications to move a few.

Upgraded to BB 0.4 and everything seemed fine for a few hours. I started having some lag issues so I did a reboot and following the boot I noticed that approximately half of my applications showed up with no icons, hence no applications. Rebooted several more times with the same results, they were no longer on the phone.

It keeps getting stranger, something apparently corrupted something with regard to my applications, my Titanium backup and even my market links. I flashed back to several of my previous backups (both SPRecovery and CW and similar issues, only some of my application show up and even after restoring them from Titanium or market, upon a reboot many of them disappear again.

I assuming my only recourse is to do a wipe and reinstall everything, but curious as to what happened here.

I never did an partition on the SD card, but don't know if that is an issue. I did notice when doing the CW recovery that I get the message sd-ext not found or something to that effect.

Not placing any blame on BB, given the number of rom changes and so forth, it just happened when I was on this particular rom version.

Any help appreciated.

2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's posted REPEATEDLY in all of Pete's threads... if/when you have problems after coming from either a previous release or another ROM to WIPE EVERYTHING and to wipe several times (he used to specify 3x's). Also you mentioned Titanium Backup try not to use any backups except for certain data (i.e. backups of docs, wifi setups ect.). Try not to let it restore any actual programs and def DON'T let it 'restore' program data/settings for most apps. If you have to use it to restore do it one program at a time so you can track any possible problems.

3. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Change the title to "I didn't slow down and read" lol, I am not giving you a hard time, but it seems many people are doing the same thing (I have jumped the gun too, so I am just as guilty) Good luck, and wipe, wipe, wipe that baby and get back huh?

4. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have read many, many threads and am aware of the caveat to wipe if/when issues present themselves, which I intend to do. What perplexed me is why all of a sudden not only were the applications gone, but what was causing them to re-disappear once reinstalled. It just seemed odd to me that inspite of multiple backups, and Titanium installed that I was unable to restore things to a previous stable condition.

5. Johnly

Johnly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Were you using sp recovery? If so you must manually enter data and cache (insert asterisk all the way down for advanced nandroid backup) for that to back all that up? That is the only time I had that happen to me, when I just backed up system, image and ROM.

6. rickt1152

rickt1152 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was not completely consistent with the backups as I have both simple and advanced, although even on the advanced I didn't select the additional options, so I believe they are effectively simple nandroid backups without the standard naming convention. What confuses me in the past when I did a simple nandroid backup it seemed to me that I went back to that point in time on my phone, only losing the data, application, etc. that i had installed since the backup. Given that experience, I just thought that the restore would put me back to that point regardless of how bad I'd screwed things up. The only variable that I can see here is the fact that I had moved some of the apps to the SD card.

7. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    okay heres what you need to do:
    1. boot into recovery
    2. make a backup of your current setup (just incase things go bad)
    3. WIPE EVERYTHING MULTIPLE TIMES (data and cache)
    4. install pete's BB V0.4
    5. reboot your phone :)

thats pretty much all you need to do :)

8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Likely has to do with the Apps2SD stuff Pete has tweaked. My understanding is that he's done quite a bit to get it to work and many programs aren't yet meant to use the feature so there's probably something getting screwed up between the two (ESPECIALLY if/when trying to use Titanium to restore something).

9. hett

hett Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is Apps2SD at work.

10. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, this is what happens when your launcher loads before your SD card mounts fully.

LauncherPro is definitely guilty of this behavior.

What launcher are you running?

Just go into application management and move everything that is on the SD card back to the phone, reboot, and see if the apps disappear again.

-Mike

11. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    EVERYONE needs to read It's posted over 100 times in his threads

1. You can't put apps with widgets you use on sd card, they won't work

2. the apps you do move will be gone after a reboot until you restart your launcher

12. mcapozzi

mcapozzi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've experienced, even apps without widgets can go missing from the homescreen and app drawer if the launcher starts before the SD card is fully mounted. I've only seen this with LauncherPro.

-Mike