Using the Spectrum 2 on GSM Networks?

Discussion in 'LG Spectrum 2' started by micrors4, Jan 14, 2013.

1. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

I know this phone is supposed to be unlocked, but has anyone tried it on T-Mobile because I got a SIM card to take advantage of T-Mobile's cheap $30 unlimited data plan.
  2. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

For anyone that might be interested, I bought a T-Mobile SIM card and a $3 day pass to see if data would work, but it doesn't, only voice and text so I might have to get another phone for when I travel outside the states.
  3. tooter1

tooter1 New Member

Did you set the APN for use with T-Mobile data?
  4. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

I actually completely forgot about that, I will have to try it tomorrow when I have some time but when I looked at the specs it didn't appear to have any HSDPA radios as I only want T-Mobile for the unlimited data so I can tether it to my laptop when I am on the go.
  5. Layvin1

Layvin1 New Member

You know if you look at the fine print of T-Mob you only get 100mb of 4g speeds and then are cut down to 2g speeds for the rest of the month....yep that's right, not even 3g speeds for unlimited. That's got to be horrible.

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²
  6. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

It won't be my main source of data, I will still rely on verizon, and I will probably just get a 1 day pass for $3 when I want to tether that way I don't eat into my 2GB cap from verizon. Plus I will also be traveling to New Zealand in a few months so it would be nice to know I can get some data with a prepaid plan when I go there.
  7. Layvin1

Layvin1 New Member

I gotcha....New Zealand huh.....that would be awesome. Safe travels to ya......

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²
  8. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

I finally got around to testing it and it does indeed work with the HSPA+ on tmobile. I did look at the T-Mobile plan and the $30 plan gives me 5GB at 4g speed before dropping down to 3g speed.
  9. tooter1

tooter1 New Member

That's good to know. I'm sure a lot of folks would want to know this.
  10. PaneInTheGlass

PaneInTheGlass New Member

I'm interested in doing the exact same thing: using the Spectrum 2 on T-Mobile's network. Was it SIM unlocked out of the box, or did you need to contact Verizon Cust. Support?

FWIW, I web-chatted with a Cust. Serv. Rep. last night and they said their phones were SIM locked to the Verizon network. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying I've heard conflicting reports, none of which seem particularly concrete. Aside from this one, of course. :icon_wink:
  11. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

Yea, they are unlocked for use as a global phone but they are locked for use on CDMA so you can't go to cricket or some other company but you can use t-mobile it any other sim based network.
  12. PaneInTheGlass

Okay, now you got me excited. I didn't see the $30/mo unlimited data plan; I looked right over it. Now that I see it, it's got me thinking. 100 minutes of talk really isn't that much. And unlimited is a lot of data, even at 3G. What if there was some way to route voice calls over the data network? Then it wouldn't matter how many minutes you had! Yeah, someone's already thought of that. So I'm torn between paying $30/mo for 100 minutes (which probably wouldn't be enough on its own), or $60/mo for 500 minutes (which would definitely cover my needs). Nice thing about the first one is that it's month-to-month, so if for some reason it doesn't work out, I can just jump up to the 500 plan (which, unfortunately, would require a contract).

I know that had nothing to do with the Spectrum 2, but still, I think it's neat.
  13. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

I just buy a one day pass or get a month one I know I'm going on a trip and will need to tether my computer or spend a lot of boring hours in a car. I still have my verizon plan so that I can keep my number but I don't use that much data anymore so I just have the cheapest plan 2GB plan with Verizon.
  14. PaneInTheGlass

I get that, I was just thinking out loud. In my case, I'm looking to use T-Mo exclusively, so it's worthwhile to consider my options. Unfortunately, I don't really like like any of T-Mo's phones, which is why I decided to venture into the dark and treacherous realm of BYOD. I think right now I have it down to the Spectrum 2 or the Sony Xperia ZL.

As far as the Spectrum goes, I took another look at it and realized it cannot use 1700/2100 MHz UMTS. Neither can I find any reliable info on T-Mo's refarming efforts. So that's a bit of a dark horse. I'd hate to pick it up only to be limited to 2G. Admittedly, I'm usually using wi-fi anyway, but still.
  15. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

I think your best bet is to get a nexus 4 as it will probably be cheaper than an off contract spectrum plus it is probably a better phone in the end and you know it will work with 4G. Not that the spectrum isn't a great phone but if you haven't bought one yet and your intent is to use it on a GSM network your better off looking at some other phones, because I believe it does work on 3G but you won't be ably to utilize the 4G network on T-Mobile, I haven't really had time to fully test it in a while and I can't remember if I had issues with 3G.
  16. PaneInTheGlass

Yeah, I know. I'm just really attached to things like expandable memory, removable batteries, and dedicated capacitive buttons. I think these are very useful features, and I hate to see them go. Maybe if I put my money toward a phone that has them, manufacturer's will get the drift and start offering these features again. And maybe if I stop attending church, the Pope will give up Catholicism.

Yes, I know, the S III. No easy way to say it, it's just...not my style. I really do like the Spectrum as a phone, but I think you're right in that I'd be better off looking elsewhere.
  17. micrors4

micrors4 New Member

People want sleekness now in their phones and unfortunately we have to sacrifice some things to get that but I understand the want. The onscreen buttons aren't to bad and if you start using cloud services you won't even notice the lack of storage, 16GB should be enough for most things if you keep all your music on Google music and take advantage of some of the dropbox offers (I have 75GB I have never played for) you can get around the restrictions.
  18. dhungman

dhungman New Member

Using the Spectrum 2 on GSM (Jelly Bean)?

Hi, micrors4
    I have to thank you first, for the information that LG Spectrume 2 is not blocking domestic GSM carriers. O
    Other sites only said iPhone 5, HTC 8X and HTC DNA are not blocking domestic GSM carriers.
    However, these phones are either expensive, small screen, non-removable bettery or missing SD card slot.

I brought the Spectrume 2 after reading your post.

I do have two questions.
    I saw there is JB update for LG Spectrume 2 now.
    Could you let me know does Jelly Bean (JB) blocks domestic GSM carriers (T-mobile/ATT)?

and
    any problem after JB update?

many thanks

19. Ran1971

Ran1971 New Member

I have the lg spectrum 2 and I'm using a tmobile sims card...I have unlimited talk text and web and mine been running 4g speed.. .it hasn't dropped to 3g or 2g
  20. Ran1971

Ran1971 New Member

I'm using an lg spectrum 2 phone with a tmobile sims card and I have the jb updated my phone is working just fine but I'm waiting for the xperia z to come out
Search tags for this page

how to unlock lg spectrum 2

how to unlock lg spectrum 2 verizon

how to unlock spectrum 2

how to unlock verizon lg spectrum 2

lg spectrum 2 gsm

lg spectrum 2 on tmobile

lg spectrum 2 tmobile
lg spectrum 2 unlock
lg spectrum 2 unlock code

lg spectrum 2 unlocked

lg spectrum gsm unlock